• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Aritro

International Regular
I was going to start a new thread for that, it's too interesting to be buried on page 133 of a thread only about five of us read. Let's see how it goes.

Aritro

International Regular
I just learned that Nigeria were at the last U/19 World Cup. Absolutely nothing at all wrong with the fast bowlers on display here. Pretty sure at least one of them would get a game for Bangladesh right now.

Have they always played cricket there? On reflection, I can imagine it being played at some of their elite, colonial-era schools

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just learned that Nigeria were at the last U/19 World Cup. Absolutely nothing at all wrong with the fast bowlers on display here. Pretty sure at least one of them would get a game for Bangladesh right now.

Have they always played cricket there? On reflection, I can imagine it being played at some of their elite, colonial-era schools
If anything people seem to lament that it used to be really popular there but lost mass appeal. Obviously great for them to make the Under 19 WC though -- it was no fluke either, they pumped both Namibia and Kenya to get there.

Aritro

International Regular
From Wiki

Following Nigeria's independence in 1960, there was much interest in cricket. Annual matches against Sierra Leone and The Gambia began in 1964, and were evenly contested until the late 1970s, when football began to become more popular in the country. Cricket began a process of decline, and when Tanzania toured in 1974, Nigeria lost two of the three matches and drew the other.

Bugger. Imagine a nation of 180 million people forming a cricketing hotbed in West Africa. What a beautiful thought.

I'm also thinking some Brad Hodgesque things about what sort of cricketers could have emerged from a population of 100m + people with West African genes, given what we were treated to from a different West African population of just a few million.

But yes, it's probably best not to encourage too much of this sort of talk.

Chubb

International Regular
Nigeria's senior team were in the last T20 World Cup qualifiers as well. Some of their games were broadcast and still available on Kayo in Australia.

lamabear

Cricket Spectator
It is good to see Nigeria developing and going from the ground up. I think Switzerland are the next big thing with Afzaal Sikander really leading the way plus Boys, Matthew MArtin, Sajid Safiat-Ullah, Khawaja and the Nazir brothers. They are definitely one of the best things in europe right now outside the big nations already established. Unfortunately a few countries have gone downhill. Whatever happened to Tarun Daluja leading the way for Poland? Estonia Cricket has alot of expats in Travis Berwick, AJ Gray, Tim Heath, Stu Hook, Ben Jones plus the sub continent migrant community etc but really are lacking facilities. I think Latvia has a better system with more home grown players and you expect them to move to be a force once the school system comes into play. Hopefully Biswajeet Mohapatra hangs around and doesnt go and try to play higher levels and apply for dual nationality citizenship in cricket. Has anyone seen much about Ukraine Cricket? https://cricket.org.ua/ . There independence cup looks good with players like khan, khalid, mustafa etc