• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI Media Coverage

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I know it affects the eye, people wear glasses. OK, stupid point from me.

Still, does it affect technique? Also, refer to my point about Richards being worse still isn't a bad player.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It's not stopped the Veterans winning shedloads of games has it?

Or chasing 315 in the OD against the reds!

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Daily Daisy

DAILY DAISY
Today's Issue-Issue 1
The Tour Squad

The World Cup held some surprises for the CWXI.
This makes the Tour Squad to Pakistan and Bangladsh all the more interesting.

Openers.

With 3 openers being needed the CWXI have 1 steady and expericenced opener: Rich_2001. He would go anywhere and is the first name on the tour list. Buggsy,Rich's partner in the World Cup has experience on the big stage and can bowl. Eclipse is a very good and classy batsman to go on tour and can bat well in the Middle Order and goes in. Broncoman has dropped down and away from contention.

Middle Order.

The middle order has 2 players who walk in:Captain Blewy and vice Cloete,Marc71178 had a succesful World Cup and should also go.
In the Devs 4 batman have batted themselves towards the 2 places,Jason Toogood,C Buts,Ian Markus and Patrick Fisher. Toogood has smashed the Dev.League with out fail and has booked his place on the plane. Ian Markus should go as ODI backup and this leaves Buts and Fisher the Blues players'.
Buts has been consistent and should go to Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Wicket Keepers.

3 'keepers are in contention,The Test only PY,the handy with the gloves and with the bat along with the inexperienced Ash Chaulk who has been hitting the Dev's to pieces and taking the catches and stumpings well.
I think Eyes_Only will go as 1st keeper with Chaulk getting a reward for an entertaining season,PY will go to England with the "A" Team to try to regain some form.

Pace Bowlers.

3 players who went to the World Cup have taken 3 of the 5 places,Mr.'s Ponting,Wright and Mxyzptlk,they will be joined by young hero Xavier Rose who has been taking wickets easily this year,also threatening is youngster Dave who is threatening expereienced Lucky Eddie and Top Cat,Dave should get in though.

Spinners.

Neil Pickup has for so long been the CWXI's only frontline spinner but now has a fellow leggie-Tom Halsey- to go on tour-however another spinner is still being searched for and anyone as far a field as A Massive Zebra but I believe that Rik could go for the ODI's and be replaced by Langveldt for the Tests.

The Daily Daisy squad is as follows

1/ Blewy(cptn)
2/ Cloete(vc)
3/ Eyes_Only(wk)
4/ Ash Chaulk(wk)
5/ Rich_2001
6/ Buggsy
7/ Eclipse
8/ Marc71178
9/ Jason Toogood
10/ C Buts
11/ Mr.Ponting
12/ Mr.Wright
13/ Mr.Mxyzptlk
14/ Xavier Rose
15/ Dave
16/ Neil Pickup
17/ Tom Halsey
18/ Lord of Darkness(Tests), Rik(ODI's)

More views,news and perhaps interviews from the Cricket Web XI world soon.

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
Interesting how I have gone from first choice WK to 3rd choice in the drop of a hat. Especially as I've scored two 50s in three games in Dev League and average 49.2 with the willow at this moment in time.

You're allowed your opinions though. :)

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
That makes no sense. in your write up i should be going away as reserve batsman yet you don't name me in your 18. please explain

Tom Halsey

International Coach
jamee999 said:
Spinners.

Neil Pickup has for so long been the CWXI's only frontline spinner but now has a fellow leggie-Tom Halsey- to go on tour-however another spinner is still being searched for and anyone as far a field as A Massive Zebra but I believe that Rik could go for the ODI's and be replaced by Langveldt for the Tests.
I would personally say 2 spinners would be enough, even if it is to Asia. If a 3rd spinner was required, I would go for Rueben's part time.

Rik has fallen away of late, has been inactive for a while, etc. etc., and Zebra is IMO too inexperienced.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The LSU Weekly
Issue 1

CWXI Leggies On The Up
Lockified Tonycus

For the first time in CW history, the legendary Neil Pickup has serious support.

With the next 2 tours both being to Asia, this could be a huge advantage. It is, after all where Pickup himself made his name too, single handedly winning a Test, dismissing the likes of VVS, Dravid, and Sachin. He looks set to do well this time around too, having recently been CW's best bowler at the World Cup, and taking 11-155 in a Dev match recently.

But there is a new talent. Tom Halsey has had an excellent domestic year. He debuted 2 seasons ago, but didn't exactly set the world alight, and was dropped. But after a drop in form from Yaju, he was given another chance late on in the season, and took it with both hands. He enjoyed a sparkling end to the season, and hasn't looked back.

This year he is the leading wicket taker in the domestic scene, at an average of 23, while also being a handy bat. He looks a good bet for a plane ticket to Pakistan and Bangladesh.

In other spin departments apart from LegSpin, Zebra looks the future of CW Slow Left Arm. Making his debut for the Greens in an OD this season because of an injury, he took it with both hands, and has kept his place in the OD team, really standing out. His only problem is he bats like Pickup, but that doesn't matter. At least Pickup now has competition for No. 11.

Zebra also debuted in FC recently, and did very solidly, and looks a candidate for future CWXI perfromances in both forms of the game. He just needs to keep going.

Slats4ever

What about my part time spinners. averaging 24 this year taking 17 wickets...surely could be used like Katich's or Lehmann's spin. I don't wanna be written out've this.

Slats4ever

i'll still go to beer's with warney and try to listen on in "secret spinner" meetings with warne and mcgill. then they'd see me and have to run away

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Slats4ever said:
What about my part time spinners. averaging 24 this year taking 17 wickets...surely could be used like Katich's or Lehmann's spin. I don't wanna be written out've this.
I tend to agree with Liam, but your performances hadn't gone unnoticed. I just dont think they are markedly better performances than Rueben's.

Cloete

International Captain
What about my handy bowling? I average 30 odd in ODI's, and about the same in first class aas well i believe!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chances are that you generally won't bowl too much for the CW XI though. You already dominate as a batsman, we likely won't impose another role on you, especially if we don't need to.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The LSU Weekly

Issue 2

Test Squad Named - 2 Leggies Seleted

Neil Pickup was always a certainty in the team. He has the best Test average of any CW bowler to date. He has single handedly won many matches, one memorable one against India. Also he was the only CW bowler to look remotely threatening in the WC final, and was also generally the best bowler in the tournament, prooving he handles the pressure well.

Tom Halsey's rise has been dramatic. From initially struggling to get into the 'B' side, he got into the Blues with ease and had an amazing season. The main question is still his inconsistency. Against SA 'A', for example, he bowled beautifully, before being smashed by England 'A'. He will need to improve in that area if he wants to be world class.

But Pakistan is a great place to go if want to learn how to bowl Test class spin, and as long as he flights it and bowls to attacking fields, he should do well.