• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in England and UK

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ouch. Our batting really just couldn't manage it - and how often do you see Neil going for more than a run a ball? Poor overall performance. Camps did okay for his allrounder role and Clapham did well, so we should at least take on those positives... but very surprised at how easily our batting order got torn apart. Not a 50 in the lot.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
With no Markus and Goff we were always going to have these odd performances, but the bowling was dire as well. A lot of things to work on it seems.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Runs galore in thrilling series finale
3rd ODI - Cricket Web XI vs England - Trent Bridge

Scorecard
Ball by Ball

The series tied at 1-1, few could have asked for a more thrilling finale. The deciding third one-day international at Trent Bridge featured thrilling strokeplay to the tune of almost 700 runs, and England emerged victorious with another stunning upset.

The Cricket Web XI bowlers would have hardly recovered from the lashing they received at Edgbaston two days ago, and the dent in confidence was very much apparent. Young Kev Gough - the villain of the 2nd ODI - made way for the experienced, though it hardly turned genius for the visitors. Watt started well with 2 runs coming from the first over of the England innings, but went on to surrender 42 from 5 wicketless overs. But although the bowlers struggled for rhythm, they were not without misfortune. Kingsley Clapham swung the ball past the bat of Chris Taylor and pegged back offstump, but he looked back in horror to see a noball signaled. And when Alastair Cook was dropped - a sitter - by Halsey at mid-off, it was clear that it would not be a day for the bowlers.

By the end of the 13th over, England had raced to 101-0. Taylor celebrated his fifty from 42 balls, and then Cook reached his milestone from 48 balls. The spinners were forced into the attack and Pickup dropped the field back, delaying the final powerplay. For a few overs of controlled slow bowling CW XI seemed to be clawing back into the game. The pressure told to the effect of a miscue by Taylor, holing out to Clapham at long-off for 60. Watt returned to the attack after an opening spell of 4-0-26-0, and Cook went after him to take three boundaries from the over. From 16 balls Cook erupted to score 36 runs and raised his hundred with a four, then a huge six off a Halsey noball.

The opener seemed to move from strength to greater strength, hitting four boundaries from his next 8 balls. And so it was a huge anticlimax for all involved when Chris Butler trapped him lbw with a slower ball. Halsey followed up with the wicket of Bell (12) to finally give CW XI some headway. Only 23 runs came from the next 5 overs and the effect of the breakthroughs was further stated. Realizing the need to keep the momentum on their side, Kevin Pietersen and Paul Collingwood endeavoured to attack the spinners again. The latter was dropped on 9 by Stedman, but the counterattack was a successful one. Both Pietersen (58) and Collingwood (51) contributed excellent half-centuries and Owais Shah struck some meaty blows off the bowling of Camps at the end. The CW XI bowlers improved at the end of the innings, allowing only 69 runs from the final 10 overs. England still amassed an enormous 352-5 and took the favoured seat in the contest.

For the second game in a row, CW XI needed a quick start to bolster their chances. But again the openers struggled against some disciplined swing bowling from England. In particular Sidebottom was a difficult opponent, so it was no surprise when he beat Ash Chaulk's booming drive to disrupt offstump. By the end of the 13th over the required run rate crossed 8. Cloete and Stedman responded with a 19-run over against Stuart Broad, then Stedman got too ambitious when he top-edged an agricultural slog and rewarded Collingwood with his first wicket. The urgency was telling as it forced Butler into attack at the outset of his innings. He did so to great effect alongside an equally enterprising Cloete. In the midst of carnage Collingwood was forced to turn to the medium pace of Bell. It was a masterstroke. Cloete cut the ball into the lap of Swann at point.

Dauth came and went at 155-4. His dismissal seemed to signal the end of any will CW XI could muster in such demanding circumstances. Alex Crampton flicked his first ball past square leg to refute such a claim. And while Butler and Crampton battered the bowlers there seemed sufficient spirit even to tempt a miracle. Butler hit Swann for a flat six straight down the ground, so he attempted another lusty blow but the ball carried as far as Taylor at deep midwicket. The celebration of the England players revealed how crucial the wicket was and CW XI needed 139 runs from 106 balls. As the last recognized batsmen, the pressure fell to the Blue pairing of Camps and Crampton. Collingwood returned to the attack, bringing Owais Shah on at the other end, and the CW XI batsmen could not get the measure of the required pace.

Both batsmen hit the ball with desperate fury and still the required run rate climbed. Camps fell to Collingwood for 34 and the England captain would have had Halsey a ball later if he didn't overstep. As it was Halsey could not get into gear as quickly as needed, so for all the efforts of Crampton (74 from 66 balls) England closed in and romped home.

England 352-5 (50 overs)
AN Cook 118 (90), CR Taylor 60 (59), KP Pietersen 58 (51), PD Collingwood 51 (65)
CR Butler 1-34 (4), NS Pickup 1-48 (8)

Cricket Web XI 325-7 (50 overs)
AJ Crampton 74 (66), CR Butler 60 (49), AP Cloete 44 (42), JE Stedman 35 (54)
RJ Sidebottom 2-39 (10), PD Collingwood 2-55 (10)

England won by 27 runs.
Man of the Match: PD Collingwood

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
1 ****ing bad game in a career and you get ****ing dropped and labelled a villain. Well I never :@

Talk about fickle selectors. A career ODI bowling average of 26 and bowled well in the 1st ODI and the 20/20. Way to overreact.

I expect to see every batsman that gets a duck or any other player that has 1 bad game dropped as well

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1 ****ing bad game in a career and you get ****ing dropped and labelled a villain. Well I never :@

Talk about fickle selectors. A career ODI bowling average of 26 and bowled well in the 1st ODI and the 20/20. Way to overreact.

I expect to see every batsman that gets a duck or any other player that has 1 bad game dropped as well
I thought it was harsh too...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

Watt has a pretty good career record as well TBF it was harsh in the first place he got dropped. Seemingly his best days seem past him though. Anyway when you have three good players going into two spots, then usually one guy is always going to be unlikely. Mind you until you guys truelly step up match winning fast bowlers, your spots are probably never going to secure. I don't really think there is anything wrong with trying to find players that can take our game to another level.

Really disappointing series defeat there. Some major question marks in both batting and bowling that need to be looked at. Some solid indiviuals performances in the last couple games, but we can't seem to put it together as team.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Really didn't want to say anything myself (mainly because I don't have the guts) but I've always personally thought this. With Goughy on this one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Watt has a pretty good career record as well TBF it was harsh in the first place he got dropped. Seemingly his best days seem past him though. Anyway when you have three good players going into two spots, then usually one guy is always going to be unlikely. Mind you until you guys truelly step up match winning fast bowlers, your spots are probably never going to secure. I don't really think there is anything wrong with trying to find players that can take our game to another level.

Really disappointing series defeat there. Some major question marks in both batting and bowling that need to be looked at. Some solid indiviuals performances in the last couple games, but we can't seem to put it together as team.
Its no way to build a team that if you have one bad game you are out on your ear.

Here is me thinking that 32 wickets in 19 games at 26 was pretty impressive and then boom, one bad game and its 'see you later'.

Noone should have the working environment that one failure means they are dropped and its a shocking way to try and build a team. There is no stability or confidence in the role of the team.

If it sounds like Im talking about myself, its because I am and its the case I know well. If you say there are other cases and Watt was also treated harshly then I bow to your knowledge and suggest that such trends are a real issue.

EDIT- As for performance, I would point out here that possibly the 2 greatest fast bowlers in ODI history (Wasim Akram and Joel Garner) average less wickets per game than I do. In fact a fair bit less. I cant really see any reason for your complaints.

It seems you want strike bowlers that strike far better than those aforementioned names, which seems greedy.

EDIT 2- The more I think about it. Im proud of my brilliant List A record and good ODI record. Over 1.6 wickets a game at around 26 is good. I cant see how its possible for those numbers to dramatically improve. If its not good enough now, it never will be and maybe its best to look elsewhere for a seam bowling option.

Probably best to point out that I have no genuine outrage over this as its only a sim. But Im acting like I would if the situation happened in real life. This is what my real world reaction would be, so its best to express the anger and disappointment I would feel here as well.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is Kev we got six good ODI bowlers, who all have good records in ODIs. So who ever misses out is always going to be unluckly. Going into the match we felt that Watt's experience would make a difference, but in hindsight it didn't. It was very harsh that you were the one that was dropped.

And yes you have a very good record, but so do all our main ODI bowlers (records going into the series):
Camps: 171 wkts @ 23
Clapham: 7 wkts @ 25
Gough: 30 wkts @ 24
Hasley: 78 wkts @ 21
Pickup: 186 wkts @ 23
Watt: 75 wkts @ 32

It was a very similar situation in the past when the likes of De Silva, Towns and Dauth got dropped after also having good records. In the past it probably never got noticed due to the fact the guys that came in performaned well or they got replaced by experienced players coming back from injury.