• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Molehill

International Captain
Grand National this weekend, is there any interest in this race elsewhere in the world? FWIW I've long been thinking Vanillier was perfect for this race and at 20-1 is still a decent price. Mr Incredible is also among my e/w fancies. But if it avoids trouble, Corach Rambler is going to be very hard to beat.
Unlike most years, I kind of nailed it as Corach Rambler (8-1) beats Vanillier (20-1).

But the race has sparked massive controversy again as sadly Hill Sixteen died at the first fence. My daughter owns two ponies, it led to a very difficult conversation over dinner regarding the rights and wrongs of Horse Racing. I love the sport, and I know that horses are kept in wonderful condition, but that doesn't wash with her (or her mother).

I'm still of the belief that animal protesters should be looking far more into places where animals are properly being harmed, not the world of Horse Racing where they have fulfilled lives.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Unlike most years, I kind of nailed it as Corach Rambler (8-1) beats Vanillier (20-1).

But the race has sparked massive controversy again as sadly Hill Sixteen died at the first fence. My daughter owns two ponies, it led to a very difficult conversation over dinner regarding the rights and wrongs of Horse Racing. I love the sport, and I know that horses are kept in wonderful condition, but that doesn't wash with her (or her mother).

I'm still of the belief that animal protesters should be looking far more into places where animals are properly being harmed, not the world of Horse Racing where they have fulfilled lives.
I've been in two minds about the National and national hunt racing for some time. You are right that horse racing for the most part takes great care of the horses, they are prize assets overall, and it's not as grim as the genetic abnormalities that are apparently essential to dog breeding. However, I feel that while the safety measures have improved, horse deaths (and jockey injuries) should be seen as something that should be 0, not treated as unavoidable but regular tragedies. Whatever measures are needed to make that happen, even if it shrinks the jumps right down and shortens the races, need to happen.

Molehill

International Captain
I've been in two minds about the National and national hunt racing for some time. You are right that horse racing for the most part takes great care of the horses, they are prize assets overall, and it's not as grim as the genetic abnormalities that are apparently essential to dog breeding. However, I feel that while the safety measures have improved, horse deaths (and jockey injuries) should be seen as something that should be 0, not treated as unavoidable but regular tragedies. Whatever measures are needed to make that happen, even if it shrinks the jumps right down and shortens the races, need to happen.
In the first 6 years after the fences were modified, there no were fatalities. But there's been 5 in the last 4 years.

In my opinion, shrinking the jumps will only increase danger as horses jump at greater speed. The horse who died yesterday had previously jumped round Aintree a number of times. So what changed? I think there's an argument for reducing the field size to maybe 30. It seems most fatalities happen early in the race when horses are travelling at more speed and are often short of room. As the field thins out, there seems to be less incident. Even for a hardened Racing fan like me, the first circuit yesterday was a tough watch.

But we should remember that injuries happen in all sports, it is just unfortunate with horses that a broken leg normally means they cannot be saved.

BTW, you'd probably have more issue with Flat racing as a whole than National Hunt. The jump horses have longer careers (they often don't start racing until they're 5) and are generally of more use outside Racing after their careers. They are owned a lot more by ordinary people rather than those simply running a business.

Ali TT

International Debutant
In the first 6 years after the fences were modified, there no were fatalities. But there's been 5 in the last 4 years.

In my opinion, shrinking the jumps will only increase danger as horses jump at greater speed. The horse who died yesterday had previously jumped round Aintree a number of times. So what changed? I think there's an argument for reducing the field size to maybe 30. It seems most fatalities happen early in the race when horses are travelling at more speed and are often short of room. As the field thins out, there seems to be less incident. Even for a hardened Racing fan like me, the first circuit yesterday was a tough watch.

But we should remember that injuries happen in all sports, it is just unfortunate with horses that a broken leg normally means they cannot be saved.

BTW, you'd probably have more issue with Flat racing as a whole than National Hunt. The jump horses have longer careers (they often don't start racing until they're 5) and are generally of more use outside Racing after their careers. They are owned a lot more by ordinary people rather than those simply running a business.
Yes, a smaller field would probably help. I'm no fan of flat either! It's a sport that exists purely for gambling.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People are free to have their own preferences, of course, but I feel the need to defend flat racing here!

I have no particular interest in gambling, so if that's all there was to it, I don't think I would have dedicated a nine-year career (and counting) to writing about it.

It's also far from being purely a business, certainly in this part of the world - the majority of horses here are owned by large groups of everyday people who have shares of less than 10% each. One of the biggest pleasures in my job is telling the stories of these shareholders who have a life-changing ride as their purchase price turns into upwards of 50 times as much in prize-money, plus the amazing thrill of each victory along the way.

Needless to say, these owners (not to mention the stable staff who work tirelessly and without complaint despite their alarm clocks going off at ungodly hours) all love their horses dearly and make sure they are cared for as well as any household pet.

But that goes for the slow ones too (which goes for all but one of the horses I've had 1-5% shares in so far!). All of the ones I've owned have found new homes in pony clubs, where by all accounts they have continued to be pampered and adored. It may not have always been the case in the past, but we've made huge strides in this area in recent years, which we can be very proud of. Another example of this is in Sydney, where a portion of the stake from every race is donated to an equine welfare fund.

As for the Grand National - it's not really my area of expertise, so I'm not the best placed to comment. But I'm sure all the participants love and care for the animals in much the same way as the ones I encounter here.

Personally, I do really struggle to deal with falls - I hate that lurching feeling in my stomach. Knowing that there's likely to be plenty of them in the Grand National, I prefer not to watch it (but in fatality-free years, I do feel comfortable enough to watch a replay later). I know there's always a risk of falls happening in flat racing too, but I'm grateful that they happen more rarely.

Molehill

International Captain
And I completely agree with you about the way horses are looked after, although my daughter will still argue that they shouldn't spend most of their time in a stable even if it is a very nice one!

One interesting point about the way flat horses are owned, yes there are a large number of syndicates, but in the UK and Ireland, the best horses are all bred and owned by either Coolmore or Godolphin. Coolmore had dominated thanks to the Sadler's Wells/Galileo dynasty, but Godolphin's Dubawi is now the power stallion and they have found a level playing field (especially with Charlie Appleby as a trainer to match Aiden O'Brien). Big flat races are very very rarely won by the kind of syndicates you or I would be involved in.

I believe they've been slowly dipping their toes into Australian Racing. If they get properly stuck in, they have budgets to dwarf the likes of Lloyd Williams.

PS I would very much envy your job!

Ali TT

International Debutant
As said, I don't doubt the sincerity of the many owners, trainers and stable hands involved in racing. I grew up with a major British trainer near me, with some of their race horses kept in the field next to our house. Those horses looked much healthier and happier than many of the sad and solitary "pet" horses you'll see.

The point that Molehill's daughter and the animal protesters would probably say is that it's better that these horses didn't exist at all rather than be born into sport, however well looked after. Not saying I agree with that, though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Big flat races are very very rarely won by the kind of syndicates you or I would be involved in.
This is not the case in NZ (and to a lesser extent, Australia). Ed has been a part-owner in a group 2 winner in NZ, and two of NZ's best mares recently - Melody Belle (13 Group 1 wins, off the top of my head) and Avantage - were both owned by syndicates with plenty of regular folk in the ownership.

_Ed_

Another great example is Pennyweka, who won the NZ Oaks last month and the Australian Oaks a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt she would have made $10,000 in the sale ring, based on her unimpressive pedigree and conformation (shows how much us 'experts' know), but she's now earned well over $1 million for an ownership syndicate of more than 70 people.

Molehill

International Captain
Another great example is Pennyweka, who won the NZ Oaks last month and the Australian Oaks a couple of weeks ago.

I doubt she would have made $10,000 in the sale ring, based on her unimpressive pedigree and conformation (shows how much us 'experts' know), but she's now earned well over $1 million for an ownership syndicate of more than 70 people.
You're always going to get the odd freak that bucks the breeding trends, but the opportunities in the UK of even hoovering up one of these is pretty remote. We've just had our Guineas Trials here, we do at least have a couple of different owners with fancied fillies for the 1,000 even if one is a very rich English Aristocrat and the other a multi-millionaire Iranian Football agent!!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some of a mate’s employees bought shares in a horse syndicate & most immediately regretted it so he bought them out just to alleviate stress in the office

He ended up with a reasonable % for not much money

Horse was Dash for Cash which won about $2 million including Australian Guineas

Also a stallion so was sold to stud

Only horse he’s ever owned

thierry henry

International Coach
At least I remembered to have a punt on it this time

Also, I hear we may how have the first true CW horse who’ll actually get to the races with all 3 renowned posting legends in the ownership group…

_Ed_

It might be the elitism, or it might be the comforting anonymity of syndicates that don't list all the owners' names individually.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'll happily set up a syndicate for you and I so we can remain under the cloak of darkness. Let's call it the "Eden Park Curse Syndicate".

_Ed_

Great performance by Mage to win the Kentucky Derby at only his fourth start - an amazing result for an ownership syndicate of around 390 people, which was awesome to see.

It does make you wonder what might have happened if the favourite Forte hadn't been scratched on the morning of the race, since he beat Mage in the Florida Derby a few weeks ago. On the other hand, Mage hit the lead way too soon in that race, and maybe he's just getting good at the right time. Hopefully they'll meet again soon (maybe in the Preakness) and we can find out.