• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Molehill

International Captain
Great performance by Mage to win the Kentucky Derby at only his fourth start - an amazing result for an ownership syndicate of around 390 people, which was awesome to see.

It does make you wonder what might have happened if the favourite Forte hadn't been scratched on the morning of the race, since he beat Mage in the Florida Derby a few weeks ago. On the other hand, Mage hit the lead way too soon in that race, and maybe he's just getting good at the right time. Hopefully they'll meet again soon (maybe in the Preakness) and we can find out.
He looked a good winner and I suspect he's improving. The 3rd looked a little unlucky.

Meanwhile, in the UK the 2000 Guineas was won by Chaldean (Arab owned), trained in a nearby village to me, in what looked an average affair. Although in the 1000, Mawj (Godolphin) just beat Tahyra (Aga Khan) with the pair pulling well clear. I suspect these are 2 high quality fillies but I'd expect the second to improve past the winner moving forward.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just had a bet on this year's Melbourne Cup. Bet the odds that are available over there are better than over here but the way Vauban won with dick swinging at Royal Ascot and the class he has means he will go bloody close before he gets used to seeing State Man's arse all winter again.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Just had a bet on this year's Melbourne Cup. Bet the odds that are available over there are better than over here but the way Vauban won with dick swinging at Royal Ascot and the class he has means he will go bloody close before he gets used to seeing State Man's arse all winter again.
4 months early is a bit keen, isn't it?

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Just found this horse racing thread. So glad one exists on here. I love horse racing, love watching as much racing around the world plus racing in my home country Australia too. Looking forward to watching some of the races coming up in Europe as no doubt some horses from there will be heading to Australia for the big races in Melbourne during the spring carnival.

flibbertyjibber

Vauban won a Group 3 over a mile and a half yesterday to qualify for the Melbourne Cup and Willie Mullins says he will go straight there. Almost certain to go off favourite i would think.

All aboard.

Molehill

International Captain
Theoretically he could run in the Yorkshire Cup or Irish St Leger before then, but I suspect that might blow his handicap mark even more. He might still be chucked in anyway and we might find the 6-1 available now is very large come the day. Could be a very short favourite, you don't mess with Mullins in flat handicaps!!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That was a great Group 1. Mr Brightside wide early, but refused to be run past. I Wish I Win very sharp first up & a great ride from Nolen, but fitness gave out late.

_Ed_

Yeah, that was a heck of a race. Hopefully a sign of what's to come through the rest of the spring.

Meanwhile, sad to see the curtain come down on Nature Strip's career with his well-beaten sixth yesterday. He's clearly a shadow of his former self now, but what a career he had - 22 wins, nine Group Ones, an Everest and more than $20 million in the bank. IMO he'd be second only to Black Caviar among Australia's greatest sprinters in my lifetime, and definitely the best I've seen in the flesh. He was a really fun horse to follow.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
Nominations are out for the Melbourne Cup. Just the 15 Overseas nominations down from 43 last year! Lowest number of entries in many years also.

Molehill

International Captain
Nominations are out for the Melbourne Cup. Just the 15 Overseas nominations down from 43 last year! Lowest number of entries in many years also.
Probably because they can't be bothered to take on the Mullins pair. If Vauban doesn't win it, Absurde may do instead.

_Ed_

Fantastic first G1 of the season in NZ today. Nine previous G1 winners in the field, but Skew Wiff (previously a multiple placegetter in big races) outsprinted them all to win her first stakes race. Legarto was a real eye-catcher with a late run from an awkward spot to get into a close third.