• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, that was probably the strangest Derby I've seen, even aside from the fact that Epsom was completely empty.

Thrown in at the deep end only seven days after winning a maiden race, Serpentine went straight to the front and dominated. The others never had a hope of catching him.

Not sure if it was a case of a well-bred colt getting good at exactly the right time, a genius front-running ride, or brain-dead rides by all the other jockeys - or maybe some combination of the three?

_Ed_

Got a bit of a thrill today, looking through the nominations for the New Zealand Cup at Riccarton in November and seeing the name of my (well, 5% mine) lightly raced four-year-old.

That's a hell of a long way away for a horse currently rated 63, but it's nice that he's held in high enough regard to consider those sorts of options.

_Ed_

A bit 'same old, same old' in the Kentucky Derby today with Baffert winning it for the sixth time, but jeez that was a strong front-running performance by Authentic.

And it's really cool that more than 4000 people own tiny shares in him through MyRacehorse. About US$200 for a priceless experience.

_Ed_

A strong-finishing second today from my bloke in his first start in Saturday grade. Pretty encouraging, although apparently someone plonked a $2000 bet on him just before the start of the race - not such a satisfactory result for them.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Congrats to _Ed_ for his win at Riccarton today. Looks like Markus Aurelius is still learning but has a bright future ahead - maybe even over a bit of distance despite the sire's race record.

_Ed_

Congrats to _Ed_ for his win at Riccarton today. Looks like Markus Aurelius is still learning but has a bright future ahead - maybe even over a bit of distance despite the sire's race record.
A very different story today, unfortunately - went too hard out in front and the tank was empty 150m from home. Back down to earth with a bit of a thump. Hope you didn't lose any punting dollars!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I lost $5, but felt for you more than my tiny loss...

He looked a little worked up pre-race too, so probably didn't help himself overall.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile, congratulations on your black-type placing yesterday!
Thank you! Thrilled with her run, considering the time, and the post-race wash-up from the driver suggests she will run a belter on NZ Cup Day.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty special achievement by 9-year-old Flashing Red, Anthony Butt, his brother Tim and co-trainer Phil Anderson. He might be an entire but I'm not sure if he'd have much of a stallion career.
I'm in a nostalgic mood, so looking at some old posts - he did not have much of a stallion career, despite being offered for free for a season or two...

_Ed_

Thanks guys! :) He was given a great run by the one and only Opie Bosson, and it was amazing to watch him sprint away from them at the end. Just a shame I couldn't be there - he was originally meant to run the previous week, but plans changed and I wasn't able to adjust my travel plans. But still a very special day anyway.

And it would be remiss not to mention Smudge's Group One placing on NZ Cup Day at Addington. Outstanding.

flibbertyjibber

Biggest scandal to hit racing in years broke tonight with top Irish trainer Gordon Elliott admitting that the picture that emerged on social media yesterday of him sat on a dead horse on his phone making the Churchill V sign is real.

God knows what this means to him with Cheltenham just 2 weeks away, does he lose his licence, do all the horses get removed from him etc...

All I know is despite being balls deep in Envoi Allen for the Marsh Chase I hope no horse runs in his name as the integrity of the sport matters more than a few quid in my pocket.

Feel sick tonight, this is just beyond words.