• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

** Official Cricketweb Horseracing thread **

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Thrilled for my friend whose mare Polly Grey has now won 3 of her last four races in NSW, all at Black type level. Best thing is he was able to make it over from NZ to Sydney to watch her today.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Thrilled for my friend whose mare Polly Grey has now won 3 of her last four races in NSW, all at Black type level. Best thing is he was able to make it over from NZ to Sydney to watch her today.
He's just messaged us to tell us he's won $21k on the pokies at a Sydney pub. I'm starting to hate him. (and yes, there's a photo of the cheque).

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best of luck to Smudge with a genuine Group One contender on the massive Jewels day this weekend.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Best of luck to Smudge with a genuine Group One contender on the massive Jewels day this weekend.
I thought she was too far gone this season with too many runs but gee, she found an extra length when needed.

_Ed_

Bloody superb. I'm fortunate enough to know myself that there's no feeling like owning a share of a race winner, but this is on a whole new level.

_Ed_

I sometimes feel like Royal Ascot gets a little overhyped compared to other major races and meetings around the world, but jeez that opening day was good. Poetic Flare is an iron horse, and the Coventry was an awesome result for some small-time connections.

_Ed_

Buoyed by some rare success as an owner this season (and forgetting the multitude of failures beforehand), I've taken a share in another horse - a rising two-year-old filly by Xtravagant.

A bit of a gamble on an unproven sire, but he had freakish ability on the track and he's had a few first-crop winners in Australia in the last few weeks. We'll see.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Buoyed by some rare success as an owner this season (and forgetting the multitude of failures beforehand), I've taken a share in another horse - a rising two-year-old filly by Xtravagant.

A bit of a gamble on an unproven sire, but he had freakish ability on the track and he's had a few first-crop winners in Australia in the last few weeks. We'll see.
As mentioned in other threads, I've bought 5% of a 3yo pacer that had been in the paddock for two years (bought by the Mongolians 2 years ago then they sold it cheaply online when they decided to sell most of their NZ stock).

I'm also now leasing 5% of a weanling trotting filly.... ?

_Ed_

Holy smokes. Handy return on her $210,000 original purchase price (not to mention her $2 million in prize-money on the racetrack).

_Ed_

Superb day of racing across NZ, Sydney and Melbourne today, but I must admit to some sadness about having to watch it on TV from home for Covid reasons - I've been on course for this day at Hastings every year since 2000. :(

_Ed_

My horse (well, 5% mine) is about to start as favourite in a $40,000 race at Riccarton, but the trainer's gone and won six races this afternoon already - I hope he hasn't used up all of his luck for the day...

EDIT: Second it is. That's all good - he's racing well, and this wasn't the grand final. The winner's a good horse in close to career-best form. Up to 1600 metres for the Coupland's next - fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Burgey

A mate of mine's parents passed away over the past 12 months and he took some of the money he was left and invested into about 9 or 10 horses. On Saturday one of them ran 4th in the Derby, and missed out on third by a nose. Was a great run. Horse was about 600/1 on the Wednesday before the race. Happy for him, had a tough time. They paid $30k to enter it in the race, and easily got a return on that, given 8th paid $40k in prize money.

Must say if it wasn't for that connection I'd probably not have even got interested in the carnival this year. It's dropped right off my radar in recent years for some reason.

But good luck to anyone who's having a bet today.

_Ed_

Safe to say that's my favourite Cup since Makybe Diva's third one way back in 2005. Verry Elleegant is an absolute freak - her sire was so far under the radar that he spent a few seasons serving Clydesdale mares in the South Island, so the pedigree hardly points to a horse who's going to earn more than $15 million.

I've followed this horse since a monstrous maiden win at the local track just down the road from me back in 2018, and she's barely run a bad race since. Amazing result for a great bunch of Kiwis who were able to stay involved after a majority share was sold to Australia.

It was a tough task for her today under that big weight (only Makybe Diva's carried more), but the race was over at the home turn. Absolutely superb. I just wish I'd had a bit more confidence in her today - I did put a bet on her, but only to run top-four.

Also, thank **** every horse came back safely today. The Cup's had an absolutely horrendous few years in that department, which doesn't give a great impression of the sport to people who watch one race per year.