• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Duckett when he was in the u19s he looked like someone who might play ODI cricket for England in the middle order - but I doubted test cricket - I've reversed that position a bit. Played a brilliant knock against India in u19 WC QF. Only scored 60 or so (at a run a ball) but came in under pressure and played the spin like it was a piece of piss.

Not sure where or which England teams he'll end up in and what batting position.

4 day cricket he's opening now and had great success (albeit in div 2) and really does pulverise teams. Very strong square of the wicket. Pulling and cutting the bowlers of deliveries that aren't even that short. But vulnerable against pace early inevitably -A little loose. If he played test cricket now he'd possibly knick off too often. Could bat in the middle order as very good player of spin - judges length well, all the shots. I think he will play a lot of tests for England. Maybe at 4 but opener spot may come first.

ODI team is a very tough one to get into. There's 6 or 7 who you'd think are strong bets for next wc as top 7 bats. Hales, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Ali, Stokes, Billings, (Roy) - Then there's Vince, Bairstow, (Roy) who are good players and fielders who are possibly losing out. Tough group of batsman to break into. Especially as Duckett (if not keeping) is probably one of the weakest of fielders of that group with Hales and Ali. Also think that against someone like Duckett who is very strong square but not as good straight that fast bowlers can defend against that in ODI cricket. He possibly won't score quick enough against top quality pace bowling - although imo would score very quickly against spin. He's a 1-4 ODI bat because he doesn't quite have the big power at the end of the innings vs seam to bat 5-7- and very good at rotating and dicking around the spinners in the middle with only 4 men allowed out between 10 and 40.

91Jmay

International Coach
Vince has leapfrogged better players because the selectors are infatuated with him. His List A record is ordinary.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Duckett feels like part of an ongoing force to fill the ODI side with (current or former) wicketkeepers. When we field a top six of Hales, Duckett, Morgan, Buttler, Billings and Baristow the process will be complete.

theegyptian

Vince has leapfrogged better players because the selectors are infatuated with him. His List A record is ordinary.
tbf to him I think he's a decent odi bat - just this is a really strong England bunch. He's helped that whilst the middle order options are strong, the openers are still kinda meh.

think there could also be the consideration of moving either Bairstow or Billings (who I think are better allround players than Vince) to opener at some point. Hales and Roy have done decently and they may continue to improve but Roy always looks like he's on the edge technically so may fall away at some point.

Vince had a fairly average career in both fc and list a before a few years ago where he really improved his white ball stuff and that transitioned over to first class. He's almost taken too much from his white ball game now to the longer format. Too aggresive.

Another generation I reckon Vince gets a massive chance and averages 40 @ sr 100 in ODI cricket for England. Right now I don't think he's quite good enough compared to others and won't get that opportunity.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
So they make 425/1 with DBD 171* and Duckett 220*, last 2 balls were dot balls, guess they though they'd scored enough.

Some individual performances from the batsmen in this series, Malan, Billings, Duckett x2 & Bell-Drummond with huge tons.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Billings is in our top 5 white ball batsmen. Absolutely love him as a player.
Yep, got to get him in that side. Him and Buttler batting together is going to be so good.

Shall we just chuck Bell-Drummond and Duckett into the Test side? Probably not but I still sort of want it to happen.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Duckett when he was in the u19s he looked like someone who might play ODI cricket for England in the middle order - but I doubted test cricket - I've reversed that position a bit. Played a brilliant knock against India in u19 WC QF. Only scored 60 or so (at a run a ball) but came in under pressure and played the spin like it was a piece of piss.

Not sure where or which England teams he'll end up in and what batting position.

4 day cricket he's opening now and had great success (albeit in div 2) and really does pulverise teams. Very strong square of the wicket. Pulling and cutting the bowlers of deliveries that aren't even that short. But vulnerable against pace early inevitably -A little loose. If he played test cricket now he'd possibly knick off too often. Could bat in the middle order as very good player of spin - judges length well, all the shots. I think he will play a lot of tests for England. Maybe at 4 but opener spot may come first.

ODI team is a very tough one to get into. There's 6 or 7 who you'd think are strong bets for next wc as top 7 bats. Hales, Root, Morgan, Buttler, Ali, Stokes, Billings, (Roy) - Then there's Vince, Bairstow, (Roy) who are good players and fielders who are possibly losing out. Tough group of batsman to break into. Especially as Duckett (if not keeping) is probably one of the weakest of fielders of that group with Hales and Ali. Also think that against someone like Duckett who is very strong square but not as good straight that fast bowlers can defend against that in ODI cricket. He possibly won't score quick enough against top quality pace bowling - although imo would score very quickly against spin. He's a 1-4 ODI bat because he doesn't quite have the big power at the end of the innings vs seam to bat 5-7- and very good at rotating and dicking around the spinners in the middle with only 4 men allowed out between 10 and 40.
A bit harsh on Roy maybe? Given that he's only a year and a bit into the job, he's done as much as anyone could reasonably have expected and is improving nicely. After the last WC, we'd have been delighted to have an opener with his average and strike rate.

theegyptian

A bit harsh on Roy maybe? Given that he's only a year and a bit into the job, he's done as much as anyone could reasonably have expected and is improving nicely. After the last WC, we'd have been delighted to have an opener with his average and strike rate.
Yes your right. He's done well. I'm just a little on fence whether he will be there for the 2019 WC. There's a lot of competition for batting positions - and technically he's always on the edge it seems.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Strong start in the U19s test. One OE Westbury is nearing a ton which must be worrying for the Sri Lankans. He doesn't even have a first name.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I've always liked the look of Stoneman when I've seen him bat. One of those players whose mediocre record always takes me by surprise a bit, but I suppose he's played half his games at Durham throughout his career which was relatively spicy before this season, and I think he had a bad start too.