• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australian ODI Team

1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Matthew Hayden/ Simon Katich/ Phil Jaques
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Shane Watson
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Clarke
7. Michael Hussey
8. Brad Hogg
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath

Or they could drop Hogg and bring in Mitchell Johnson depending on conditiosn etc. Gilchrist and McGrath will probably be rested for a couple of games during this series, allowing Haddin and Johnson to get a game.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
1. Adam Gilchrist
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Clarke
7. /Mark Cosgrove/Adam Voges/Travis Birt etc
8. Brad Hogg/Mitchell Johnson
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath

Can see Australia moving Hussey up the order to 4, leaving Watson up the top (since he's hardly failed there) and bringing someone else in at 7 like Cosgrove or Voges.

Wouldn't mind either way, but I think Hayden's a little too far gone to make an ODI comeback unless he makes some serious runs in the last few tests and Jaques has hardly impressed me with his form so far in the domestic comp. You never know I guess.

brockley

International Captain
They will give watson 4 to 6 one dayers to open,thats if he is fit,if not i'd say hayden comes in.
Cossie not in great form forget about him,even lehman says he needs to lose weight as it is effecting his fitness.
Wonder how many games hoggy will play,i see us going with the 4 pace bowlers.
Please let us not pick hopes but its on the cards if watson isn't fit,i see no need tho.White needs to command a position in the side as a batsmen rather than allrounder.

The House is a good young quick who deserves his oppurtunities Stuart Clark deserves to be there and will certainly be picked be interesting how much of a go or if Cosgrove gets a go?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I would be surprised if this isn't the squad they pick:

Gilchrist, Watson, Ponting, Voges, Hussey, Symonds, Clarke, White, Hogg, Lee, Johnson, Bracken, Clark, McGarth.

I can see White playing as batting all rounder and IMO the reason why Voges was selected in the 3rd Test squad was to get him introduced to the squad before he makes the ODI team. Also they both spin bowling options and so it gives you another spin option without having to carry ineffective Cullen or Hauritz.

Hayden been in pretty good form, but Watson done enough to keep his post at the top of the order. Jaques, Crosgrove and Katich haven't really done enough at domestic level to command a spot in the squad.

The 'House' and Haddin will get a couple games during the series as well, and maybe Tait.

brockley

International Captain
"I can see White playing as batting all rounder and IMO the reason why Voges was selected in the 3rd Test squad was to get him introduced to the squad before he makes the ODI team. Also they both spin bowling options and so it gives you another spin option without having to carry ineffective Cullen or Hauritz."
Agree don't see hauritz,white or cullen doing what hoggy does.
Agree on voges.
White might get picked as the 14th man if 14 chosen but i would choose haddin.
They will keep faith in clark over tait.
Hayden is the best choice but his test form is horrid,that may effect him being chosen especially if he gets dropped this series.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I presume 14 will go, and I gather Styris won't make the trip so with that mind:

Stephen Fleming
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Brendon McCullum
Kyle Mills
Ross Taylor
Jeetan Patel
Mark Gillespie
Jacob Oram
Nathan Astle
Jesse Ryder
Andre Adams
Jamie How
Vincent / Marshall / Fulton (depending on who is carrying the best form)

I think Jamie How will be picked on the basis that he scored a good unbeaten century against Australia A not so long ago in Australia and I think Ryder's form in that Top End series will also benefit him. I think NZ will stick with one of Vincent, Marshall or Fulton..but they will take the player who is in the best form. I think Andre Adams will get a recall, his form has been very good with both bat and ball.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm hoping this is the side they put out to be honest.

1. Adam Gilchrist+
2. Shane Watson
3. Ricky Ponting*
4. Michael Hussey
5. Andrew Symonds
6. Michael Clarke
7. Cameron White
8. Brett Lee
9. Mitchell Johnson
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Glenn McGrath

I rate Cam, but if they don't play him I'd see Voges batting 7. Either way you get a good clean striking batsman who if the side's in trouble can build an innings as well. Both can bowl some handy (though quite innefectual at times) spin.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well its said Watson is out until January 19th, so he will miss at least the 1st half of the VB series, so what should Australia look like then, definately one Hayden or Jaques will be picked to open, while the middle-order will be adjusted a bit, my pick would be White.

So i'll go for:

Gilchrist
Hayden/Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Back-up from: Clark, Johnson, Voges, Hopes.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim said:
I presume 14 will go, and I gather Styris won't make the trip so with that mind:

Stephen Fleming
Daniel Vettori
Shane Bond
Brendon McCullum
Kyle Mills
Ross Taylor
Jeetan Patel
Mark Gillespie
Jacob Oram
Nathan Astle
Jesse Ryder
Andre Adams
Jamie How
Vincent / Marshall / Fulton (depending on who is carrying the best form)

I think Jamie How will be picked on the basis that he scored a good unbeaten century against Australia A not so long ago in Australia and I think Ryder's form in that Top End series will also benefit him. I think NZ will stick with one of Vincent, Marshall or Fulton..but they will take the player who is in the best form. I think Andre Adams will get a recall, his form has been very good with both bat and ball.
How about Michael Papps? Ton for Canterbury yesterday and an ODI average of 53. Of course his Eden Park innings against Brett Lee lives on in the mind for all the wrong reasons so it might not be a good idea to send him out to open the batting against him.

brockley

International Captain
I see no purpose in picking hopes.
Johnson and hoggy will aternate in games,stu clark will be the back up paceman.
If you want an allrounder at 8 pick hoggy.
I agree white and voges can fight it out for the no 7 position.
Watson out for a month.His injury is worse than what it was before.

howardj

International Coach
Jacques
Gilchrist
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

Haddin, Johnson and Clark

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I reckon Hopes will get a gig before White. I don't want him to, but he's been on fire for QLD and hasn't performed too badly in his limited ODI appearances.

brockley

International Captain
"Yea with Watto out, Hopes should definately get a run during the series."
What take mitchell johnson's place or brad hoffs',or maybe open the aussie innings.
I see no point why pick hopes when johnson and hogg can do the job,and as a batter his batting not conmsistent enough to play in the top 7.
If he gets picked don't see him playing more than 1/2 games max in the whole series,picking stu clark would be a better option.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I`d go

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Symonds
Clarke
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
brockley said:
"Yea with Watto out, Hopes should definately get a run during the series."
What take mitchell johnson's place or brad hoffs',or maybe open the aussie innings.
I see no point why pick hopes when johnson and hogg can do the job,and as a batter his batting not conmsistent enough to play in the top 7.
If he gets picked don't see him playing more than 1/2 games max in the whole series,picking stu clark would be a better option.
I think you are over-rating Hogg's & Johnson batting ability a bit, Hogg can bat no doubt, but he's not consistent enough to be batting @ 7 in the ODI team at all, Johnson has shown some potential in FC cricket, but his batting is as good as Lee when he came into the side in 99, so surely you can't have him batting in the top 7.

I don't see why Hopes can't bat in the top 7 if he's given a go, from what i've seem of him for Australia he looks very capable & his performance for QSL over the past 2 seasons batting in the top order show that.

brockley

International Captain
Aussie i meant hopes not replace hogg or johnson as bowlers not batsmen.
I think either white or voges would have no 7.
Hopes in one dayers 1 100 1 50 and 6 failures in 8 innings.,