• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Commentary Complaints Thread

burr

State Vice-Captain
My complaint is on radio (ABC and TMS) the Australian journalist has to interview the Australian cricketer at plays end and the England journalist has to interview the England cricket. Why? You're supposed to be professionals. Mix things up, get a more objective viewpoint - it would be welcomed.

On the plus side, I enjoy Simon Mann very much. And Pigeon.

Spark

Global Moderator
My complaint is on radio (ABC and TMS) the Australian journalist has to interview the Australian cricketer at plays end and the England journalist has to interview the England cricket. Why? You're supposed to be professionals. Mix things up, get a more objective viewpoint - it would be welcomed.

On the plus side, I enjoy Simon Mann very much. And Pigeon.
The reason is because ABC and TMS run their own post-stumps shows, and it's just easier to have them do their own thing and sharing rather than both having to do both.

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
I reckon Taylor would be so much better if he wasn't surrounded by these idiots.

Slats needs to be put out to pasture. The constant giggling after every joke he makes is awful

I can't remember who wrote the article, but you see a lot of these guys just trying to mention themselves as much as possible. A reminder that they too once upon a time played and it's just cringeworthy
Geoff Lemon?

vitalogy83

U19 Debutant
I'd love to hear KP's logic behind saying that winning the game tonight would be good for Australia because it gives their bowlers an extra day off, given that they've already bowled both innings
I heard this and had a chuckle. He's such a muppet. Can't stand him. What's up with those blue pants? ME ME ME.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Has anybody mentioned the Triple M radio comms yet? **** me it takes the cake for all new levels of awful. Seriously impressive line-up on paper, but it's absolutely ****ing terrible in practice.

Yesterday Brayshaw was rambling on about Joe DiMaggio, today he did the whole "In 40 years my dad and I saw one concussion in cricket, how have we had 15 in the past two years?" thing. Then this afternoon he rambled on about mullets with Waugh and Gillespie for the better part of half an hour.

Throw in the really forced double entendres and the even more forced advertisements about four times an over (apparently it took 35 minutes for us to get a "Gillette Close Moment, because close matters" today), and it's terrible. Absolute waste of the likes of Gilchrist and Guha in that box.
The fact that Brad McNamara ended up there was enough to turn me off.

At least with TV you have to watch 9's coverage as there's generally no competition (well up until 2016/17 anyway). With radio you can easily listen to ABC or 2UE/Macquarie, the former is clearly better and I imagine the latter is better too (despite the presence of Dean Jones and Greg Matthews).

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It's funny with Warne how he still has doubts about Starc (with some justification admittedly); had a go at him over his batting dismissal and clearly his patchy bowling stints seem to irritate him highly.

As for Michael Clarke, he knows his stuff but he comes across as such a sycophantic phony he's one of my least favourite commentators to listen to.

Ian Chappell defending Alistair Cook because he played a hook shot dismissal and didn't do the ultimate Steve Waugh sin of - gasp! - not hooking the ball was pretty funny to hear.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Has anybody mentioned the Triple M radio comms yet? **** me it takes the cake for all new levels of awful. Seriously impressive line-up on paper, but it's absolutely ****ing terrible in practice.

Yesterday Brayshaw was rambling on about Joe DiMaggio, today he did the whole "In 40 years my dad and I saw one concussion in cricket, how have we had 15 in the past two years?" thing. Then this afternoon he rambled on about mullets with Waugh and Gillespie for the better part of half an hour.

Throw in the really forced double entendres and the even more forced advertisements about four times an over (apparently it took 35 minutes for us to get a "Gillette Close Moment, because close matters" today), and it's terrible. Absolute waste of the likes of Gilchrist and Guha in that box.
I haven't listened to their cricket commentary but from what I've heard of their AFL commentary (mercifully little) I'm not surprised. Full of smug, self-satisfied egotists who think they're more interesting than the game itself and mixed in with some lame low-brow 'blokey' humour.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Haha, Travis Birt on Twitter observed how much better BT's commentary was than Ch 9 (basically calling it s**t) and Michael Clarke actually responded with a 'Cheers mate'

Spark

Global Moderator
I haven't listened to their cricket commentary but from what I've heard of their AFL commentary (mercifully little) I'm not surprised. Full of smug, self-satisfied egotists who think they're more interesting than the game itself and mixed in with some lame low-brow 'blokey' humour.
Triple M is basically the ur-C9 culture wise tbh.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that Brad McNamara ended up there was enough to turn me off.

At least with TV you have to watch 9's coverage as there's generally no competition (well up until 2016/17 anyway). With radio you can easily listen to ABC or 2UE/Macquarie, the former is clearly better and I imagine the latter is better too (despite the presence of Dean Jones and Greg Matthews).
Yeah, my car's AM radio is shot, unfortunately.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't condone murder, but if anyone can find a way of stopping KP from commentating, the cheque's in the mail.

Seems to be a pretty clear gap of who's decent on 9 (Taylor, Nicholas, Chappell, Clarke) and who's crap (Healy, KP, Warne, Slater).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Even then, there's a clear gulf between Healy and Slats who are simply irritating and KP and Warne who are insufferable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Have to say the BT comms seemed to grow into their roles as the Test went on. The brief bits I caught from day 2 onwards they seemed to be on top of the 'talk constantly' problem from day 1.

Boycott is still an arsehole, mind.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Even then, there's a clear gulf between Healy and Slats who are simply irritating and KP and Warne who are insufferable.
I'm convinced the guys on 9 are paid to be arseholes.

Even Healy, who's always been a prat on commentary, was immense on Sky on the Ashes Masterclass.