• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh Tour of West Indies (& Guyana) 2022

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep for sure. It's one thing having a bit of spin, but this is an out and out poor pitch worthy of icc demerit points.

Guyana is doing itself no favours at all here tbh (sorry SCC!). They can do better than this pitch.
They should have schedule these matches to be played at the Albion Sports Complex ground (my home club).

It’s a better batting wicket.

The last ODI to be played here was in the 1980s, that kickstarted India’s World Cup campaign in 1983

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah seriously SCC, have a word to the relevant people.
Because Providence is so close to the capital city and the airport it has an advantage over the other grounds in the country.

Imagine most of the Guyanese players in the West Indies team are from my county of Berbice, far away from Georgetown and Providence. The countryside. And I’m sure that if these matches were schedule at the Albion Sports Complex ground, we’d have a better turnout…

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
They should have schedule these matches to be played at the Albion Sports Complex ground (my home club).

The last ODI to be played here was in the 1980s, that kickstarted India’s World Cup campaign in 1983
I have seen providence wickets play well though. I am not sure why they have served up this. Is it the rain?

SillyCowCorner1

I have seen providence wickets play well though. I am not sure why they have served up this. Is it the rain?
Yeah that might be the issue, they have to cover it all the time…and it doesn’t get enough rolling to be hard and compact.
I’m no pitch expert

SillyCowCorner1

We can try to blame the pitch as much as we like, but the fact of the matter is that we are crap against good spin bowling.
The best batsman of spin in the region is probably sitting down with his baby at home and hoping that he makes the team soon (Hetmyer, also from my county).

Look how well the Bangladesh batsmen play against our spinners

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Yeah the story of that Berbice match is legen-waitforit-dary... I was so disappointed they did not mention it or show it in the 83 movie. Every other thing I read as a kid about the 83 WC win had spent so much of the story talking and describing the Berbice win.

Aritro

International Regular
There's a feature on during the lunchbreak with Carty talking about growing up in St Martin. Says there was no school cricket program and it was all about baseball, basketball and football. A history teacher at his school told him "cricket isn't a real sport". Wonder if it's always been like that there or cricket's just fallen out of favour.

Aritro

International Regular
Just realised St Martin is split between a French and Dutch side and isn't a former British colony (?). No wonder they don't play cricket there.

SillyCowCorner1

Yeah the story of that Berbice match is legen-waitforit-dary... I was so disappointed they did not mention it or show it in the 83 movie. Every other thing I read as a kid about the 83 WC win had spent so much of the story talking and describing the Berbice win.
It was before my time, and all I heard growing up was that it was more support for India than for West Indies ( our community is primarily East Indian), and that it was a Phagwah day.

Heard that Gavaskar hit one into a nearby farm over a canal. Huge I tell yah.