• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Bangladesh Tour of South Africa 2017

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unpopular opinion but Shafiul has been much better than Taskin here IMO.

I don't really hate him in general either, tbh. He's obviously not Test standard but they've picked bowlers much worse in their history, and even recently (remember when Kamrul was a thing?)
Taskin really flatters to deceive. He's taller and bowls decent pace but the accuracy and movement simply isn't there.

Bangladesh could use somebody who swings the ball well and doesn't have rely on the sort of pitches that Stuart Binny can pick up wickets on. While there was a bit of reverse yesterday none of the three moved the new ball much at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Taskin really flatters to deceive. He's taller and bowls decent pace but the accuracy and movement simply isn't there.

Bangladesh could use somebody who swings the ball well and doesn't have rely on the sort of pitches that Stuart Binny can pick up wickets on. While there was a bit of reverse yesterday none of the three moved the new ball much at all.
Roy hoops the new ball. If they're going to select someone purely for new ball skills then he should be picked. Unfortunately he's completely useless (even moreso than Shafiul and Taskin) when the ball is older, which is why he's been left out here.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From cricbuzz, Rohan Agarwal says

Getting out on 99 or 199 is like your code was successful in test as well as pilot but failed on its first run on production/live.
Yes, Rohan, it is exactly like that

Shri

Mr. Glass
Why the **** is Faf out there? Qdk should have been sent out with instructions to go crazy. If it paid off, they would be near or over 600 at stumps. Like what Abdv did to us and Umadkat years back.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed Walsh does not have the best credentials as a coach but not sure if this is entirely due to him? Not like BD boasted decent seam bowlers before Walsh.

Walsh is not the type of coach that BD needs. Someone technical who can spoonfeed the bowlers esp pacers is required. Thats the harsh reality. Pont, Jurgensen and Streak all did better job with what they had.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just read the cricinfo article about yesterday's toss decision. Seems Sabbir did the presser. A couple of good ones:

Sabbir Rahman said:
"[Besides] you can't say how the pitch will behave by just looking at it. You have to play on it to find out. We cannot [decide on] bowling by just looking at the clouds."
Yes, but if it's dry and straw coloured you can give a pretty good guess that it won't be seaming all over the place.

Sabbir Rahman said:
"Any captain would decide to bowl first in South Africa so there isn't anything to add,"
ESPNCricinfo said:
In the last five years, 62.5% (15 out of 24) of the time captains have chosen to bat first in a Test in South Africa.
Even if he's not the sharpest knife in Bangladesh's draw I think it says a bit about the attitude which this match was approached with.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if Tamim is injured but this is bizarre when Mominul could just open. Liton opens in domestic though so not a nee thing for him

Dendarii

International Debutant
According to Cricinfo, Tamim didn't field for much of the afternoon session. So is this another case of Du Plessis declaring before one of the opposition's openers is allowed to bat?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not sure if Tamim is injured but this is bizarre when Mominul could just open. Liton opens in domestic though so not a nee thing for him
Mominul has been ****ed around way too much lately; I like the idea of Liton opening here.

(assuming Tamim is injured, that is - it wouldn't surprise me if Mushfiqur has some weird superstitious theory that dictates Tamim bats 11 in this innings, just coz).

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Walsh is not the type of coach that BD needs. Someone technical who can spoonfeed the bowlers esp pacers is required. Thats the harsh reality. Pont, Jurgensen and Streak all did better job with what they had.
Agreed. That's also Pont's viewpoint. But I think the likes of Nazmul or Mostofa Kamal will only respect an ex international cricketer instead of qualified coaches like Pont or Jurgensen

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Mominul has been ****ed around way too much lately; I like the idea of Liton opening here.

(assuming Tamim is injured, that is - it wouldn't surprise me if Mushfiqur has some weird superstitious theory that dictates Tamim bats 11 in this innings, just coz).
Liton is looking good. Much better than tried and tested Kayes and Soumya already

Dendarii

International Debutant
Surprised SA didn't slog another for another 10 overs and get 570 plus.
There are thunderstorms predicted for later on, so they probably felt it was better to get out there sooner rather than later in order to have a crack at the Bangladesh batsmen today.