• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in Sri Lanka

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Upul Tharanga has been ruled out of the first two test matches due to an injury to his foot.

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/slvbdesh/content/story/298996.html

""We will be looking at Thilan Samaraweera, Michael Vandort and Jehan Mubarak to fill in Tharanga's role" - Sri Lanka Cricket Secretary Kangadaran Mathivanan.

:-O
I am not sure why they mention Mubarak time and again, I can think of several dodgey reasons but i dont have any proof but we all know he is part of an illustrious family,:ph34r:

I would go for the other tharanga Tharanga Paravithrana he is got potential unlike some one called jehan

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not sure why they mention Mubarak time and again, I can think of several dodgey reasons but i dont have any proof but we all know he is part of an illustrious family,:ph34r:

I would go for the other tharanga Tharanga Paravithrana he is got potential unlike some one called jehan
You are absolutely correct. That's the only reason he gets picked. And also because they know they can take chances with Bangladesh...I hope they get nailed if they play Jehan Mubarak again, particularly as it seems Tharanga is out of first Test (with injury) and Sanath unlikely to play either as he is filling out for Murali at Lancashire.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I wouldn't be surprised if Warnapura and Kapugedera are the openers for the first Test against Bangladesh ...although it will more likely be Sangakkara with Warnapura I suspect.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
The one thing that makes me watch this series is for Habibul Bashar. I just want to find out whether the burden of captaincy ruined his batting performance or his form itself ruined his performance.

His statement before the game was 'I will be more able to concentrate on batting as I am free from captaincy' . Thats good sign and moreover the time spent by him in the tour match is appreciable.
But the real question is, Can he continue to perform consistently all through the series?

All the best Bashar. and to Ashraful & Co.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Raghav said:
The one thing that makes me watch this series is for Habibul Bashar. I just want to find out whether the burden of captaincy ruined his batting performance or his form itself ruined his performance.
The continual insistance that Bashar's test batting dropped off is beginning to border on the ridiculous. Go and check the stats for yourself - while his one day form was dire, it has nearly always been that way, and his batting stats hold up perfectly fine recently in test cricket. His "bad form" was a myth created by the fact that Bangladesh played a succession of one day cricket matches - in which form he simply isn't very good.

Raghav

The continual insistance that Bashar's test batting dropped off is beginning to border on the ridiculous. Go and check the stats for yourself - while his one day form was dire, it has nearly always been that way, and his batting stats hold up perfectly fine recently in test cricket. His "bad form" was a myth created by the fact that Bangladesh played a succession of one day cricket matches - in which form he simply isn't very good.
His recent scores read as : 4,5,0,37 against India 2007
9,49,76 2005/06

So the last time he scored a half century was in 2005 and he wasnt able to score against India in 2007. In the recent concluded series against India he looked very much uncomfortable at the crease as he was like in the ODI's in WC.

I reckon he is out of touch recently considering his performances (in both tests and ODI's) and the series against SRL is the best chance for him to prove his critics wrong.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
His recent scores read as : 4,5,0,37 against India 2007
9,49,76 2005/06

So the last time he scored a half century was in 2005 and he wasnt able to score against India in 2007. In the recent concluded series against India he looked very much uncomfortable at the crease as he was like in the ODI's in WC.

I reckon he is out of touch recently considering his performances (in both tests and ODI's) and the series against SRL is the best chance for him to prove his critics wrong.
Hahaha, that was TWO games! You're going to base a whole batting decline on TWO games? Dear me.

Raghav

Hahaha, that was TWO games! You're going to base a whole batting decline on TWO games? Dear me.
That was 4 inngs....

I am not basing on just four inngs..He didnt bat in tests recently and moreover his batting recently is shaky.

The test series before the Ind series was way back in 05/06. Bashar now is not the same 2005/06 bashar. He lost his touch. Look at statistics since then

cricman

International 12th Man
That was 4 inngs....

I am not basing on just four inngs..He didnt bat in tests recently and moreover his batting recently is shaky.

The test series before the Ind series was way back in 05/06. Bashar now is not the same 2005/06 bashar. He lost his touch. Look at statistics since then
To be Fair, Those 50's were in 2006

69 & 73 vs Lanka 76 1st innings vs Australia and was run out for 7 and he did a decent Job in securing the draw in the rain match vs India.

the Bangladesh Nat'l players haven't played any form of FC cricket for a year until the Test matches vs India so I'd give Bashar a break I think he'll do well vs Lanka

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That was 4 inngs....

Yeah, two games typically is four innings. Good spot that.

Anyway, there is nothing to suggest his test batting has declined of late, really. Bangladesh haven't played a lot of tests of late - but that's the exact reason his "bad form" has been exaggerated.

He is rubbish in one day cricket. Always has been - he averages 20 odd. Him doing poorly in that form is to be expected, and the fact that he does so should not cast doubts over his test batting because he has ALWAYS done so.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Raghav

For an up and coming young batsman runs are everything, his confidence would have been boosted quite significantly.
Yep. you are right. For an upcoming batsman runs matter at Intl level and the opposition doesnt matter

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I wouldn't be surprised if Warnapura and Kapugedera are the openers for the first Test against Bangladesh ...although it will more likely be Sangakkara with Warnapura I suspect.
I think thats a fair soloution but we have to be careful both these young men are makeshift openers if we are going to try them there and they fail we make sure they get a decent run in that postion,

I m specially concerned about Kapu he has been batting all sorts of postions in the line up his mind might get caught up in a cloud.

I cannot belive Ian Daniel got i knock he got out 1st ball in Zim warm up, Shantha Kalavaitagoda got 1 test in wellington and this mubarak character is getting a lifelong stint in the A side and the national pool.:@ why wont anyone speak out against this this obvious favortism. I guess sums up Sri Lankan system we are lucky we didnt destroy chamara silvas talent, thanks to Tom Moody.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
I think the right decison has been made here,Micheal Vandort has infact probably earned far more tests than he is getting, I remamber him scoring 116 against india in a warm up game in 2001,

At that stage he should have made the squad so that by now he is well experienced but sice then he has played 6 tests scored 2 100's and in the middle managed a 100 against south africa in 2004 also in a warm up. The man has ablity and patience (48 off 120:laugh: on ODI debut bored all of us out).

Lets hope now He does replace Marvan for good in tests.

Malintha Warnapura lets hope he can show what hes been doing in A team tours,

Good luck to both of them

I expect Mashrafe to test them both so that they can be found out or otherwise,it wont be to anyones benifit if they score free 50's or 100's they got to be made to work hard. Otherwise this series could be pointless all together. But i have faith the tigers will fight like they usually do.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member

I remember when they toured Australia a couple years back, he told one of mates that his dad paid him to get into the team. He was pretty drunk at the time though, but regardless one of the poorest pick up lines i've ever heard. Atleast you could have said his some gun batsmen for Sri Lanka, i doubt she would have known any better.

But really TBF the main reason why he keeps getting selected is that he out performances most guys at Sri Lanka A level. His scored a lot more runs at that level then Micheal Vandort, but has had more chances.

It looks like he wont make the starting XI in Tests, but is expected to open in ODIs if Tharanga is unfit.

Tharanga Paravithrana is a couple years off making the Test side. Mahela Udawatte is the next in line for the opener spot it would seem and Kanchana Gunawardene is also infront of him

Last edited: