• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll disappointed if Bangers approach this with anything other than all out attack. They're not going to be able to squeeze with 3.8 an over required.

thierry henry

International Coach
I fully appreciate how unlucky it is to have two injured batsman and how disruptive their coming and going was to this innings.

Having said that, on a flat deck and needing only to bat competently to at least draw the match, all 9 fit Bangladesh batsmen have been dismissed for 160 runs within 58 overs. That is disastrous, diabolical, maybe just bad, I dunno, choose your own adjective.

Kinda feels like the actual narrative unfolding in this game is being obscured by peripheral issues, or maybe that's just a CW thing (with apologies to Zinzan for posting about posting).

Athlai

Not Terrible
I fully appreciate how unlucky it is to have two injured batsman and how disruptive their coming and going was to this innings.

Having said that, on a flat deck and needing only to bat competently to at least draw the match, all 9 fit Bangladesh batsmen have been dismissed for 160 runs within 58 overs. That is disastrous, diabolical, maybe just bad, I dunno, choose your own adjective.

Kinda feels like the actual narrative unfolding in this game is being obscured by peripheral issues, or maybe that's just a CW thing (with apologies to Zinzan for posting about posting).
Well Bangladesh also have 3 genuine terrible tailenders, so the loss of 2 proper batsman is felt even stronger with that kind of frailty. Definitely a terrible effort from most of Bangladesh's recognised bats, though with the aggressive style most of them employ, it IS "just the way they play".

Zinzan

Posting in response to other posts is what a forum is all about. Constantly complaining about others posting without actually responding to their posts is the utterly pointless thing. The fact you've made an actual observation in that post means it's not that.

I'd love to have been privy to the conversation between Kayes and Shabbir at the end there. The dialogue should have been about just taking it ball by ball and doing nothing rash.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Well Bangladesh also have 3 genuine terrible tailenders, so the loss of 2 proper batsman is felt even stronger with that kind of frailty. Definitely a terrible effort from most of Bangladesh's recognised bats, though with the aggressive style most of them employ, it IS "just the way they play".
Yeah. Without wanting to be patronizing either, it felt like Bangladesh did well enough in the first-innings to deserve one or two breaks here. And the injuries had an outsized impact given the length of their tail.

thierry henry

International Coach
Well Bangladesh also have 3 genuine terrible tailenders, so the loss of 2 proper batsman is felt even stronger with that kind of frailty.
Totally agree but then I don't really know if that detracts from the failure very much. It's a fault of their own team selection. They went into the match with 4 guys who can't bat, they can't then act hard done by because it only took a few failures for the innings to disintegrate or because their good players had to bat with the tail.

Zinzan

If we're really honest about it, this is exactly what you would expect from a side labeled as a 'minnow', that even after an amazing first innings of close to 600, they completely fall over on a flat deck to go on to lose.

If Banger's do end up losing this from a position almost impossible to lose from (I think the highest ever score to lose in Test history), I think it's a strong argument for them being a 'minnow', following on from our conversation the other day.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Totally agree but then I don't really know if that detracts from the failure very much. It's a fault of their own team selection. They went into the match with 4 guys who can't bat, they can't then act hard done by because it only took a few failures for the innings to disintegrate or because their good players had to bat with the tail.
Mirage "can" bat. hypothetically speaking.

Athlai

Not Terrible
If we're really honest about it, this is exactly what you would expect from a side labeled as a 'minnow', that even after an amazing first innings of close to 600, they completely fall over on a flat deck to go on to lose.

If Banger's do end up losing this from a position almost impossible to lose from (I think the highest ever score to lose in Test history), I think it's a strong argument for them being a 'minnow', following on from our conversation the other day.
Urgh.

slippy888

International Captain
Mohammad Isam ‏@Isam84 3h3 hours ago

Awful from Shakib Al Hasan.
Reckless.
Arrogant.

***** is that a fair assessment

cnerd123

likes this
Yea a lineup full of strokemakers with a long tail is just asking for a collapse

Either the batsmen need to learn how to hang in there better, or we pick another all-rounder or two.

Binkley

U19 Captain

Nah. A side that scores almost 600 after being inserted is not a minnow. Even after they lose critical players to injury and lollapse on the last day.

cnerd123

likes this
Mohammad Isam ‏@Isam84 3h3 hours ago

Awful from Shakib Al Hasan.
Reckless.
Arrogant.

***** is that a fair assessment
Yea but his 200 in the first dig was full of chances and edges flying through the gaps

This is just how he bats. You take the good with the bad. You can't praise his aggressive nature when he succeeds only to criticise it when he fails.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yea a lineup full of strokemakers with a long tail is just asking for a collapse

Either the batsmen need to learn how to hang in there better, or we pick another all-rounder or two.
Well yes, the non-selections of a few talented allrounders and picking Kamrul AND Roy did seem like a pretty poor call. Though that said, outside of Kayes, Tamim mk II and to an extent Marmadoola and Mominul. Who isn't a stroke maker in Bangladeshi cricket?

thierry henry

International Coach
Not only was it a loss of two batsmen, but a loss of the two batsmen most likely to play 'sensibly' in the lineup
Well, one of the injured guys was Imrul Kayes ffs...I mean, the guy is internationally renowned for sucking right?

Also- this is gonna sound pretty cold, but Mushfiqur was injured by a combination of being hit on the hands while batting and being hit on the head while batting, right? These are relatively common things in cricket and are related to his batting. I dunno, I'm torn on this but it's sort of comparable to losing a fight on a cut in boxing- unlucky but not unrelated to your actual performance of the skill in question.

I feel kinda asshole-ish just typing that out but I do think there's a distinction between that and a guy, say, doing a hammy.