• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2014/15

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We had a trial of them about seven years ago and had similar results. Think Liam Buchanan had a double hundred before tea in one match.

Felt that they actually swung longer conventionally, made it harder to get reverse and the seam is definitely not as pronounced.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The Shield scheduling doesn't seem to fit with the International calendar so much this year. I thought last round should have started a day earlier (I can't remember now why I thought that, but hey it goes with the point I'm making now) and this round should start on the Saturday when there is no ODI on instead of making the first day and final day of the Shield on days when the ODIs are on.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought last round should have started a day earlier (I can't remember now why I thought that, but hey it goes with the point I'm making now)
This applies to me too. I think it might have been something to do with the T20's? One less clash if they do it a day earlier maybe?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Oh yeah it was something to do with Maddinson and Reardon.

Also, the round after which should feature most of the Australian team is being played from Tuesday to Friday, so less people following it, obvs.

Riggins

International Captain
SMITHY!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS

game over

edit: **** not even close to the right thread.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What's everyone's thoughts on the points table? I think its unnecessarily messy having teams on random points such as 1.24 or 9.18.

brockley

International Captain
Sounds as messy as my house:D.
I will give it a year.
Good to get rid of the first innings points as 2.Think some teams really dependent on first innings points in the past to go with victories to get in the final.
Now they will have to attack more.

BTW is this the end of Rohrer not in the Blues side obviously for concussion,but players are coming back in and he only averaged 30 last year.Maybe selectors will depend on younger players who will average more.He will be in the one day side but Shield,he would have to beat down the wall in grade,and their is a guy callled Gibson who is just doing that,3 100's and a 50.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I agree that the first innings points being removed is a decent move. Rohrer is definitely under pressure with the likes of Henry and Larkin making runs. I think you're right, he is under pressure, but I think he will come back whenever the team is missing Aussie players, but will need runs immediately to keep his spot safe.

brockley

International Captain
He will probably come back in the next Futures game,altho a round of Futures games is on Monday so don't expect him to play.

Yeh was sick of those first innings battles they we're ****e.
I will give everything a go,i am going to study Theology,but i remember the split innings 50 over games and they we're crap.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Is that the study of Theo Doropoulos?

One issue with the new system is if there is a washout on days 1 and 2. Not sure what captains will do really.

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
:laugh: Nah.There are some really interesting subjects.
Doropoulos that would be Greek Orthodox right.

Day1/2 incentive to go for quick runs and Wkts i guess,makes it more interesting than first innings points.Maybe declarations for no runs works like in in County cricket.

Riggins

International Captain
One issue with the new system is if there is a washout on days 1 and 2. Not sure what captains will do really.
just declare both innings at zero probably. no incentive not to, really. (other than whatever minimal bonus points you miss out on)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
just declare both innings at zero probably. no incentive not to, really. (other than whatever minimal bonus points you miss out on)
Yeah, captains will just make an agreement to make games one innings long if there's lots of rain.

I actually liked first innings points; I'm disappointed to see them go. I'd rather see a draw with a first innings victor than see a contrived result where a team wins despite only taking twelve wickets.

The best change is addition of points for a draw, though. It was a complete farce that the only incentive for drawing a match was spiting the opposition of points.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
It was a complete farce that the only incentive for drawing a match was spiting the opposition of points.
Shouldn't need points though. How about the players having some pride in not losing outright. There's a certain amount of pride in denying points to the opposition even if you can't win in lots of sports.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I thought that and after reading the points system more closely it is probably the way teams would go. But they are missing on the safe 2 or 3 points each team if they finish the match as 7/300 plays 6/320 or something. How many points for a tie - I've not seen it written anywhere.

I was kind of hoping NSW bat first today, I wanted to see Harris in action. Oh well, he will probably bowl after tea sometime..