• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Season 2010/11

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Bingo.

Good man.

Smith is a batsman FFS!!! who bowls, and whose bowling will develop with more exposure.

People are making the same mistake with Smith as they made with Watson.

Think of him as a batsman who bowls.

Averageing 50 in FC cricket - geez, what more do people want for him to bat at six for Aus.

They sure don't demand the same high standards (i.e. an average of 50) for North.
I agree smith's a batsman but my post and PEWS post was about O'keefe not playing when he averages 25 with the ball i was adding that O'keefes batting average is pretty decent aswell.

Ruckus

International Captain
I wouldn't call it deceptive, but I will say that I think he'd average more if he was always used as a frontline bowler like Hauritz is. North's been bowling more and more for WA but he still only gets used when the conditions suit him or when the other options are exhausted - captains are compelled to bowl Hauritz a lot once he's picked. If it's not North's day he just doesn't get bowled - Hauritz has to keep coming back for more punishment.
Oh ok, that makes a lot of sense.

pup11

International Coach
From a national selection perspective, Dussey's innings today is probably totally irrelevant irrespective of how many runs he ends up with

Not really fair considering his outstanding career stats and the form of the incumbents
People keep abusing North that he is not consistent, don't know how Dussey is any better in that regard. I love Dussey but their is no shying away from the fact that the way he plays he is never going to be mighty consistent, but its also true that on his day he is as big a match-winner as any in Australia, and who knows he still might make a surprise entry in the Ashes series.
Anyways... guess Hauritz is saving his best for the Ashes tests.... :laugh:

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't that like 34 more than what North averages in Shield Cricket?
Well it's 41 more than what Ferguson averages in Shield cricket...

It's also 21 more than what Smith himself averages in Shield cricket, so we should obviously be leaving Smith out for Smith.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah tbh, while I think Smith is more than just a 'slogger', I don't think his current FC average of around 47 is a true reflection of his ability at this stage. Not saying he won't be able to develop into a batsmen of that calibre in the long term, but at the moment his technique is way to unsettled and fidgety. Which is why I don't think him being the no.6 in the national side is a particularly good idea yet...

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha meant last season alone obviously

Smith's technique is just bizarre. I don't know how to describe it. Even the way he holds his bat before the bowler bowls is weird.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha meant last season alone obviously

Smith's technique is just bizarre. I don't know how to describe it. Even the way he holds his bat before the bowler bowls is weird.
Yeah I know you did. I was just showing that howardj's insinuation that if Smith averaged a lot more last season than you do in your entire Shield career then you shouldn't be in the team was a bit flawed because it'd leave everyone out, including players he campaigns for and Smith himself.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Kind of a relief that Ponting didn't get out hooking or pulling today, but worrying sign is that he got out to Hopes!!

TumTum

Banned
As the bowler is running in, you can sense that he is about to play another slog. Fidgety hand & feet movement, like he is about to unleash.

Spark

Global Moderator
As the bowler is running in, you can sense that he is about to play another slog. Fidgety hand & feet movement, like he is about to unleash.
Yeah that's what I mean... then plays a perfectly normal defensive shot. I don't think he actually tries to hit every ball out of the park.

But it's not like Hughes who has a definitive, highly unorthodox technique. With Smith it's just a few small things which are unusual (like that insane one-kneed "straight" drive over point that he sometimes plays)

Last edited: