• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

Slifer

International Captain
Tbf it's Cricket Australia's own fault, they do everything to avoid playing anyone who isn't India or England. The scheduling and adminsitering of World cricket is an absolute joke.
Agreed. I don't know how they expect lesser to improve if they don't play stronger teams and gain some experience. Cricket would not survive if only India, England and Australia played each other.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
But Green is there? He’s literally still falling to the ground
To me he controlled it enough to constitute a catch. Sloppyish, no doubt, and certainly worth a discussion. To me, the difference between that and say Herschelle Gibbs circa 1999 was the control over the disposal. Green throws it up and it goes where he wants it to. Gibbs goes to throw it up and it spills out. I liked the word of the (old?) law coupled with the new - you have to have control over further disposal of the ball, and control of your completed movement.

So if you take a catch just inside the boundary, you need to complete your movement to have it allowed. You can't catch it, celebrate it briefly, throw it then immediately fall or move out. That's not control of a completed movement. You can, however, control your movement enough inside the rope, throw it up, and come back in to complete the catch.

This, and the 'celebappeal' as I saw it called the other day, would be better to be peeled out of cricket. Both just don't feel right, especially the Stuart Broad/Kyle Mills celebappeal'. But I guess I get it, it's a human thing to get excited.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This, and the 'celebappeal' as I saw it called the other day, would be better to be peeled out of cricket. Both just don't feel right, especially the Stuart Broad/Kyle Mills celebappeal'. But I guess I get it, it's a human thing to get excited.
That's not what it is. It's blatantly trying to manipulate the umpire. It's very annoying and should be stamped out.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not what it is. It's blatantly trying to manipulate the umpire. It's very annoying and should be stamped out.
Probably quite right in some instances. Maybe a bit of both - there's certainly arrogance, maybe some manipulation, a little bit of untethered excitement...I've never umpired and never will, but I always felt like I'd be much less likely to give someone out if the bowler carried on like Broad used to. Yeah, I hate it. It's disrespectful. It says 'this is surely out so I won't even do you the service of appealing, and if you say it's not out you must be out of your mind'. The umpire stands out there all day for five days, the least you can do is ask in a certain manner.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably quite right in some instances. Maybe a bit of both - there's certainly arrogance, maybe some manipulation, a little bit of untethered excitement...I've never umpired and never will, but I always felt like I'd be much less likely to give someone out if the bowler carried on like Broad used to. Yeah, I hate it. It's disrespectful. It says 'this is surely out so I won't even do you the service of appealing, and if you say it's not out you must be out of your mind'. The umpire stands out there all day for five days, the least you can do is ask in a certain manner.
Exactly. Surely most umpires would be in the same boat

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I think the issue with the Cam Green catch is that he threw it away before he'd hit the ground.

I dont think Green did it to gain any advantage but could the ball have popped out when his elbows hit the ground, possibly.

To those who disagree, if it was the final wicket in a crucial test match and the opposition took such a catch, would you be 100% happy - I wouldn't