• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Bahseph

State Captain
And yet these players were picked because they had plenty of first-class experience. You can't select players on that basis and then claim that they're not experienced.
This sums it up. Bavuma has had 50 plus Tests,I think that is a reasonable amount of evidence to conclude that he can't convert his starts.

Rassie,Erwee,Zondo and de Bruyn have been playing FC cricket for over a decade each. If they want guys to gain experience at Test level then they should pick the guys 5-7 years younger!

jcas0167

International Debutant
Their top 5 might read:
K.Jennings
J.Roy
M.Labuschagne
D.Conway
G.Phillips

M.Neser would get in ahead of Ngidi
Instead of Phillips, who as others have said moved to NZ as a kid, you could add former South Africa under 19 captains Chad Bowes and Dean Foxcroft. Both plying their trade in NZ now.

Heboric

International Debutant
What a clown he's turned out to be. We keep loosing because the best players are left home in South Africa. You look at the bowling unit and no one questions their place in the side because they are the best in the country. The batting on the other hand is a reflection of lack of ability. No e of the top 5 batsmen will win you a Test match. That's the cold hard truth. Ordinarily in a well run organisation, heads would roll but they won't. The same useless guys like Erwee, De Bruyn,Zondo,Rassie, Bavuma and a finished Elgar will still have confidence of selectors.

The solution is simple really. Get rid of Mpitsang and his gang. Put Elgar to pasture and make Bavuma the captain. Bat Bavuma at 6 seeing as that'sthe Only position he looks decent. Get new openers. Petersen will come back at 3. Bat Verryne at 7. Don't pick Ngidi and Jansen at the same time. How hard can that be?

My team would look something like this.

Jordan Hermann
Joshua Richards
Keegan Petersen
David Bedingham
Ryan Rickelton
Temba Bavuma(c)
Kyle Verryyne
Marco Jansen
Keshav Maharaj
Kagiso Rabada
Anrich Nortje

Reserve batsmen

Aiden Markram
Tony De Zorzi (question marks with this one)
Marques Ackerman
Janneman Malan (question marks again)

Reserve bowlers

Simon Harmer
Nadre Burger
Gerald Coetzee (I really hope he improves)
Ngidi

Surely that's a half decent team to improve and mature as a unit? I didn't even include people like breetzke,Stubbs and Brevis in the mix because they haven't done anything worth being selected for. But the key thing is, there is talent at domestic level. Back them.
I dont agree, Bavuma must go as well. There has been batsmen with better returns that have been kicked to the curb sooner. We will probably get another 7 articles from Firdose wax lyrically about his plucky 60 and not getting hundreds doesnt matter.
Plus the Bedingham ship has already sailed unfortunately...

Julian87

State Captain
Bavuma should be the first dropped. That last 10 minutes of his innings was a slap in the face to every good coach and mentor he’s ever had. Diabolical. Should never ever play again.

Dendarii

International Debutant
I dont agree, Bavuma must go as well. There has been batsmen with better returns that have been kicked to the curb sooner. We will probably get another 7 articles from Firdose wax lyrically about his plucky 60 and not getting hundreds doesnt matter.
Plus the Bedingham ship has already sailed unfortunately...
Bavuma's not up the task, but he's never been the worst batsman in the side, which I suppose is a bit of a damning indictment of everyone else. I'd been inclined to keep him there for a transition period, especially since there aren't too many other captaincy options (Maharaj maybe?), but only until the new guys are established and a new captain can be chosen.

Spark

Global Moderator
Giving Smith the ball is absolutely idiotic
If Smith bowls like he did in this game he could be a legit option going forward again. There was a long spell where he was really bowling these horrible flat darts, when the appeal to his bowling was always that it would be a complete lottery what he'd bowl, but it'd be tossed up with a lot of air and a lot of work on the ball. When he bowls like that he's a genuine wicket taking option in the right circumstances.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hot take : Rabada's been way off the pace for a couple of years ago. His bowling is still penetrative, but he bowls both sides of the wicket with some alarming consistency lately. Looks very hittable at times

Needs a proper rollocking. Kagiso is a great personality and comes across as a chill bloke, but he's not as good as he thinks he is imo

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Their top 5 might read:
K.Jennings
J.Roy
M.Labuschagne
D.Conway
G.Phillips

M.Neser would get in ahead of Ngidi
I'll take a bit of convincing that Roy would be an improvement at the top of the order. Jennings too, unless the match is being played in India or SL.

Bahseph

State Captain
Hot take : Rabada's been way off the pace for a couple of years ago. His bowling is still penetrative, but he bowls both sides of the wicket with some alarming consistency lately. Looks very hittable at times

Needs a proper rollocking. Kagiso is a great personality and comes across as a chill bloke, but he's not as good as he thinks he is imo
I agree with this assessment to a degree,but it definitely is a case of the SA bowlers always trying to make things happen in Tests as well. When last has he had a total of 350 plus at his back to bowl too? He does seem like the sort of bloke who needs his captain to tell him to increase the intensity every now and then though.