• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Gob

International Coach
Soft signal doesn't matter these days
Is it?

I was watching the second Eng vs Pak game recently and the 3rd ump decided not to change a grab down leg (don't remember the batsman but the bowler was Wood) when it looked certain to touch the ground because the soft signal was out

3rd umpire was Joel Wilson btw

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it?

I was watching the second Eng vs Pak game recently and the 3rd ump decided not to change a grab down leg (don't remember the batsman but the bowler was Wood) when it looked certain to touch the ground because the soft signal was out

He probably just ****ed it up.

That decision actually ended up winning England the test

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Is it?

Its not supposed to matter. I think Wilson went with the older interpretation but there has been a recent rule change. The soft signal is only supposed to be taken into account if they dont get the right camera angles or if there are technical glitches and you dont get the replays. That sort of thing. As long as you get a reasonable amount of angles, the 3rd umpire is basically expected to make their own call.

The rule change is good. Just think Wilson ****ed up interpreting it properly.

Reactions: Gob

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Cricinfo has chanaged Australia to 2 reviews in line with this
I think the reviews are retained only on what are considered defined umpire's calls which really only exists for LBWs. So for caught behind or caught others appeals, you either retain it if the batsman is ruled out or you dont retain it if they are ruled not out.

It should be changed coz when the 3rd umpire literally says "I dont have conclusive evidence to overturn the dismissal" it should count as an umpire's call. I guess the issue is basically the 3rd umpire says that almost everytime when they are NOT overruling the onfield call.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cricinfo has chanaged Australia to 2 reviews in line with this
Didn’t they go upstairs on an lbw which they lost? I wasn’t watching at the time but I thought I heard one of the comms say they’d reviewed something which pitched outside leg?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn’t they go upstairs on an lbw which they lost? I wasn’t watching at the time but I thought I heard one of the comms say they’d reviewed something which pitched outside leg?
Never went through to ball tracking. 3rd ump reckoned he couldn’t tell if it hit the bat, cos he’s an idiot.