• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs Pakistan in UAE

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
James Hopes has been doing a decent job for Aus, and deserves to be picked. But I've read a few articles the last couple of days saying how much he's improved and what a good player he is now. But I don't get that from his stats:

Career:
Batting ave 24, Bowling ave 32, econ 4.5
Since Oct 2008 (ie. after the Bangladesh ODI's)
Batting ave 26, Bowling ave 32, econ 4.6

Is it a case of stats not telling the whole story, or is it more that the other players have been playing worse so Hopes looks better?

Last edited:

Briony

International Debutant
James Hopes has been doing a decent job for Aus, and deserves to be picked. But I've read a few articles the last couple of days saying how much he's improved and what a good player he is now. But I don't get that from his stats:

Career:

Is it a case of stats not telling the whole story, or is it more that the other players have been playing worse so Hopes looks better?

He's been playing very consistently lately.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Career:

I don't think it's either, it's just that when he fails you think nothing of it because it's what you expect. Taking his bowling for instance, his 2-22 this week was a solid if unspectacuar (and insufficient) spell, but you forget that his last competitive (not a dead rubber) ODI was this match and the one before that was this. But you weren't thinking about those matches where he was raped because with a mediocre player it's the good performances that stand out.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think it's either, it's just that when he fails you think nothing of it because it's what you expect. Taking his bowling for instance, his 2-22 this week was a solid if unspectacuar (and insufficient) spell, but you forget that his last competitive (not a dead rubber) ODI was this match and the one before that was this. But you weren't thinking about those matches where he was raped because with a mediocre player it's the good performances that stand out.
I don't know about expecting... I was actually quite surprised to see the stats being like that. I thought there was going to be a bit of a difference when I looked them up.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Butt is playing a blinder and Pak don't have the batting depth. Typical Younis dismissal, soft.

pasag

RTDAS
Dire move dropping Clark. Should have just let him stay in England. Am probs Bollinger's biggest fan on the forum and even I don't think he should be there.

So typical though, batting is rubbish so they drop all the bowlers.

pasag

RTDAS
Dire move dropping Clark. Should have just let him stay in England. Am probs Bollinger's biggest fan on the forum and even I don't think he should be there.

So typical though, batting is rubbish so they drop all the bowlers.
Top debut though :cool:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Holy crap, Shoaib is caning here. Not the greatest length's being hit tbh.

EDIT: Now an awesome catch by Clarke.

Last edited: