• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v Pakistan ODIs UAE 2019

Borges

International Regular
Warner >>>>> Khawaja and Warner >>> Finch. Let Warner play where he wants to play; lesser mortals can play around him.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
I don't care about the WC, only interested in who is going to be left over for the A tour of England.

It seems the WC squad will come from the 15 man squad for these matches plus Warner, Smith, Starc and Hazlewood.

As far as the batting goes it seems Turner will miss out then probably one of Shaun Marsh or Handscomb.
On the bowling probably 2 of Coulter-Nile, K. Richardson or Behrendorff unless Hazlewood is not picked due to injury even though he is saying he will be fit.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Handscomb will go as a second keeping option if they insist on persisting with Carey. Can't go into a World Cup with one under-achieving keeper.

Spark

Global Moderator
Warner >>>>> Khawaja and Warner >>> Finch. Let Warner play where he wants to play; lesser mortals can play around him.
Warner isn't that good that he has veto over a opening partnership scoring oodles of runs.

Burner

International Regular
Warner is unlucky in that he got banned just when he figured out a way to be a gun ODI opener. For a long time he was meh as an ODI bat, the potential was there but not really matetialising in scores. Who knows how it'll go when he comes back.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So, does that mean we're roughly expecting this:

1. Finch
2. Khawaja
3. Warner
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

12. Handscomb
13. Richardson
14-15. Two of Marsh/Turner/Coulter-Nile/Lyon

Daemon

Would prefer SMarsh to Smith, unless the latter starts to look like he remembers how to bat.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would prefer SMarsh to Smith, unless the latter starts to look like he remembers how to bat.
Smith is like the opposite of Warner - he's better the longer the format. In ODIs he's pretty good and I'd pick him over S Marsh any day of the week, even though Marsh has been very good recently.

I'd say Dan's side is extremely likely.

TheJediBrah

Smith is like the opposite of Warner - he's better the longer the format. In ODIs he's pretty good and I'd pick him over S Marsh any day of the week, even though Marsh has been very good recently.

I'd say Dan's side is extremely likely.
It seems crazy to consider Smarsh ahead of Smith but it's hard to imagine Smith bettering, or even matching, Smarsh's output over the last year or so in ODIs

It's a tricky one

Top_Cat

So, does that mean we're roughly expecting this:

1. Finch
2. Khawaja
3. Warner
4. Smith
5. Maxwell
6. Stoinis
7. Carey
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Zampa
11. Hazlewood

12. Handscomb
13. Richardson
14-15. Two of Marsh/Turner/Coulter-Nile/Lyon
Roughly likely but Hazlewood surely out of the XI and Lyon ahead of Zampa in England.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I love Gaz, I would probably still lean towards Zampa if we play only one spinner in the world cup. He has a bigger arsenal of tricks to call upon when batsman are on the attack. Where as Lyon is a more accurate bowler but is primarily a defensive option in this form of the game. There will be times where both should play though

Last edited:

Top_Cat

No way is Lyon ahead of Zampa.
Again, in England. Yeah Zampa's taken more wickets on the away tours to India and UAE but this doesn't make Lyon the back-up. We'll see after the squad is picked but given the bowling unit likely to be picked, either it'll be both in the XI or Lyon. Lyon's not a particularly good ODI bowler, I wouldn't have him in the team but there's a reason he keeps getting every opportunity to stay around the squad and that reason is the WC.

Last edited:

Andy1993

U19 Cricketer
I dont see Smith forcing his way into the world cup side...Ashes side yes, but not quite the world cup squad, other batsman have come into form at the right time and expect them to stay there...... Zampa has to be first choice spinner IMO, with Lyon a very capable back up