• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia v Pakistan ODIs UAE 2019

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warner could bat three. He has to be there somewhere imo.

Pillow
Finch
Aggro
TPC
Maxwell

is a potentially devastating top five. Stoinis is, thankfully, doing all he can to play his way out of the WC. If only they had the stones to omit him, but no doubt he’s a lock, as is Carey I suppose. If Warner bats three then it obviates the need for Wade I suppose. Darsh pretty unlucky to miss out on the starting XI. He is West Australian though, so I suppose he could be picked ahead of Smith at four.
Wouldn't surprise if Mitch Marsh comes back to replace Stoinis. Stoinis has been trash and has looked trash

Burgey

Yeah he has, hasn't he? Replacing one biff and barge merchant for another I suppose, but I genuinely thing Marsh is a better bowler than Stoinis. I'm sure he'll be in the squad somewhere.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah at this point I'd rather MMarsh. It's all been downhill for Stoinis after his chokejob in the BBL final

morgieb

Stoinis being a one-hit wonder of sorts is possibly the least surprising thing of all-time. At least Marsh has an OD track record that is longer than 12 months.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah he has, hasn't he? Replacing one biff and barge merchant for another I suppose, but I genuinely thing Marsh is a better bowler than Stoinis. I'm sure he'll be in the squad somewhere.
MMarsh has actually played some decent ODI innings that have been well constructed rather than biff-barge too. They've been pretty rare but they've happened. His career boundary percentage is 49% compared to Stoinis's 54% and Maxwell's 59% so he is a bit of a different player at times.

I'd probably still go Stoinis because I actually think we're going to want more icing after the top 4 or 5 that's going to be selected, but I kind of want him to be left out just for the Warne reaction.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Stoinis' complete ineptitude against basic spin bowling has really baffled me. A few times this year he's been clean bowled by regulation good length balls that he made look amazing because he just sat on the crease. I used to rate his bowling too but he really has just been utter garbage lately.

Ideally neither Stoinis or MMarsh would play, and the spots would go to Handscomb/Smarsh and/or Turner but we really do need the bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Stoinis' complete ineptitude against basic spin bowling has really baffled me. A few times this year he's been clean bowled by regulation good length balls that he made look amazing because he just sat on the crease. I used to rate his bowling too but he really has just been utter garbage lately.

Ideally neither Stoinis or MMarsh would play, and the spots would go to Handscomb/Smarsh and/or Turner but we really do need the bowling.
It's a bit of a shame Turner's shoulder is ****ed; he was a serious bowling prospect for a little while.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Yeah he was a handy bowler but I get the feeling that part of the reason he stopped was he chucked it

stephen

I think it's too late for M Marsh. He should have been given a go in India's or the UAE. The selectors have cast their dice in with Stoinis. For better or worse we're stuck with him.

Spikey

i'm gonna find my marsh posts and gloat in a second but first

It’s not T20, partnerships matter. Only way the selectors are breaking it up for mine is if they decide Warner will outperform these two going in first. That’s unlikely because, well, all three are kinda **** in England.
but it's not like warner/finch are strangers...?

Spikey

he's had a couple of good innings after underperforming for a long time. the end.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yes plus I think no. 6 suits MMarsh more than Stoinis. Stoinis is more a no. 4/5 and can't hit from ball 1.

Spikey

it's more they're expecting 7 or so overs from that player come the WC and Marsh, historically, has been a step up as a bowler from Stoinis and isn't clearly an inferior batsman. it just seems obvious, pending any injury issues

Top_Cat

Sure. It's a good problem and all these guys know each other well. Depends on what's been discussed behind the scenes, maybe they already flagged that the partnership is temporary. If not, you'd be loathe to break up an opening pair where both are smashing it. Langer's recent comments sorta back up that they'll bat Warner lower too.

To me, right now, if I was in the oppo:

Khawaja
Finch
Warner

just looks a tougher proposition than.

Warner
Finch
Khawaja

The opening pair is doing the business and the team is suddenly winning again. **** with that at your peril.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
he's had a couple of good innings after underperforming for a long time. the end.
It was not only a sudden change in performance, but a change in approach too. Having seen him bat in these matches, I noticed some specific changes. He's now very keen to play with the square-on-the-off-side field placings. I think he has worked hard on offside deflection shots. I didn't see him play those so often before. As a result, his reliance on big hits has gone down.

mr_mister

I think it's more like Maxwell has finally got his approach right.
Langer is saying this too. I kinda disagree

He got dropped early in the first 2 knocks, then first ball of the third knock played a lofted pull shot that fell a metre from a fielder in the deep. Against some better fielding sides he might have only produced 1 or even 0 innings of note

Luck was on his side and he was overdue for it as I said earlier. Getting run out by Smarsh against India on 47 was rough, he looked century bound that day.

His approach didnt really change, and I don't think ever will in this format. Always will be playing plenty of risky shots. I guess at least he took a few sighters in the first 2 knocks but still, the 2 dropped catches were from expansive shots

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Sure. It's a good problem and all these guys know each other well. Depends on what's been discussed behind the scenes, maybe they already flagged that the partnership is temporary. If not, you'd be loathe to break up an opening pair where both are smashing it. Langer's recent comments sorta back up that they'll bat Warner lower too.

To me, right now, if I was in the oppo:

Khawaja
Finch
Warner

just looks a tougher proposition than.

Warner
Finch
Khawaja

The opening pair is doing the business and the team is suddenly winning again. **** with that at your peril.
Yeah Warner and Finch is probably the better opening pair, but Warner at 3 is the better top 3, because I can really see Khawaja being useless at 3.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
The more I think about it, I really don't mind the idea of Warner at 3. I believe he is adaptable enough to succeed there, and that lets Australia keep the Finch-Khawaja opening partnership that has been so effective as of late