• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Silver Silva

International Debutant
A pretty good day for us all things considered, we aren't favourites yet but we have at least got it back to a 50/50 game and are showing some fight.
Excellent approach from the NZ batters , it's only day 3 tomorrow there is no rush, get yourself in, bat time and the runs will come.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Latham must be so confused. He self destructed after playing 100 balls as per his programming but he's still out there.

Flem274*

123/5
I think 2 match series actually favours a class batsman because the more you play the harder it is to have a higher average.

If a class batsman knows he's got a 2 match series lined up , he knows he has to perform for 4 innings max ..
No long tours where more concentration, fitness etc is needed to maintain elite performance.

A 2 match series can work both ways, you can have a series like the one you mentioned but you can also hit 3 100's in 4 innings like the one Williamson managed vs South Africa which will balloon your batting average..

Can't be a coincidence that Sangakkara and Williamson average so high playing mostly 2 & 3 match series.
Nah. Conversely, one or two low scores ****s your series average. Swings and roundabouts.

KW has a match winning ton in SL but averages 25 or something from 4 career tests there.

If KW had 5 tests against thst SA team he would be on an even bigger average now.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Australia really should've buried this match with the bat today but some sloppy batting really let them down.

That Head/Marsh/Carey middle order doesn't work for me; too flashy and high-risk and not well suited to when someone like Labuschagne is in for the long haul and needs support.

The old-fashioned watchful Test batting NZ deployed after Tea just underlined what an opportunity Oz had wasted.

Spark

Global Moderator
Australia really should've buried this match with the bat today but some sloppy batting really let them down.

That Head/Marsh/Carey middle order doesn't work for me; too flashy and high-risk and not well suited to when someone like Labuschagne is in for the long haul and needs support.

The old-fashioned watchful Test batting NZ deployed after Tea just underlined what an opportunity Oz had wasted.
If Labuschagne and Green work as a #3 and #4 pairing then that takes a lot of pressure off the latter three. But they have to be doing a hell of a lot better than what they've showed in the last few games.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
If Labuschagne and Green work as a #3 and #4 pairing then that takes a lot of pressure off the latter three. But they have to be doing a hell of a lot better than what they've showed in the last few games.
The wording of this is really weird lol. Since moving to #4 green has 300 runs @ 60, marnus has 112 runs @19. This isn't a "marnus and Green aren't working as a collective" issue. It's a "Marnus has been horrible" issue.

Spark

Global Moderator
The wording of this is really weird lol. Since moving to #4 green has 300 runs @ 60, marnus has 112 runs @19. This isn't a "marnus and Green aren't working as a collective" issue. It's a "Marnus has been horrible" issue.
It definitely must have been weird because that's not what I was getting at at all lol. If anything I'm saying that there's reason for optimism now that both Marnus and Green have put their form questions behind them. But even if that turns out to be sorted, we still need a lot more from that middle to lower order. Too many dashers and counterattackers, not enough innings-builders.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
It definitely must have been weird because that's not what I was getting at at all lol. If anything I'm saying that there's reason for optimism now that both Marnus and Green have put their form questions behind them. But even if that turns out to be sorted, we still need a lot more from that middle to lower order. Too many dashers and counterattackers, not enough innings-builders.
Sorry I'm stupid, read the latter part and thought it was referring to green and marnus as a collective 3 and 4, and not the head-marsh-carey middle order.

Flem274*

123/5
I hope Tim Southee takes a few poles tomorrow and keeps the career average below 30. Given he was thrown in too early and subsequently improved into a very good bowler for 10 years, I think Jimmy Andersoning his record to read 337 @ 27 with a 2012 - 2021 peak of 277 @ 25 is statistically nice.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
I hope Tim Southee takes a few poles tomorrow and keeps the career average below 30. Given he was thrown in too early and subsequently improved into a very good bowler for 10 years, I think Jimmy Andersoning his record to read 337 @ 27 with a 2012 - 2021 peak of 277 @ 25 is statistically nice.
He's kind of a Jimmy-lite, if Jimmy smiled all the time and didn't really care or put any effort in or try to improve.

Gob

International Coach
Also I need to apologise to tom latham for calling him the worse batsman ever. I've never been more wrong in my life. Gut and determination he showed today to guide his team to a commanding position opened my eyes wide open. Absolute class

I'm sorry tom

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Also I need to apologise to tom latham for calling him the worse batsman ever. I've never been more wrong in my life. Gut and determination he showed today to guide his team to a commanding position opened my eyes wide open. Absolute class

I'm sorry tom
He will prove why he is ATG tomorrow

ashley bach

International Captain
240-260 would be a reasonable target but the next 2 days may be good conditions for batting so NZ really need to bat well and set 280+