• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm gonna be honest; I don't really rate Cutting at all and think he'll be pumped in Tests. He's performed domestically (although not quite as convincingly as a few other bowlers he's been favoured ahead of) so I don't think it'd be a disgrace if he got picked or anything like that but I don't think he'll be a success. It's a bit like when Peter George got picked from where I sit.

To answer Howe, and I'm not going to sugar coat this as I'm sure plenty of others will come in posting how awesome they think he is to balance me out anyway, he runs in, gets side on and bungs it down inside his own half of the pitch. He's taken a stack of wickets due (IMO) to the greener Shield pitches in the last few seasons and the inexperience in some of the Shield batting lineups. He sprays it a bit as well and while he's certainly not a medium pacer, claims of him bowling around 150 have been greatly exaggerated from what I've seen; low 140s tops.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Never seen him - what does Cutting bowl, in terms of speed, style, etc?
Pre injury layoff he was mid 130's. Now pushing into the low 140's this season. Bowls with a high arm action and generates just enough movement to beat the bat.

Red hot form at the moment and should push hard for selection. Also swings the bat hard and would make a decent Test number 8 or 9.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm gonna be honest; I don't really rate Cutting at all and think he'll be pumped in Tests. He's performed domestically (although not quite as convincingly as a few other bowlers he's been favoured ahead of) so I don't think it'd be a disgrace if he got picked or anything like that but I don't think he'll be a success. It's a bit like when Peter George got picked from where I sit.

To answer Howe, and I'm not going to sugar coat this as I'm sure plenty of others will come in posting how awesome they think he is to balance me out anyway, he runs in, gets side on and bungs it down inside his own half of the pitch. He's taken a stack of wickets due (IMO) to the greener Shield pitches in the last few seasons and the inexperience in some of the Shield batting lineups. He sprays it a bit as well and while he's certainly not a medium pacer, claims of him bowling around 150 have been greatly exaggerated from what I've seen; low 140s tops.
Good summary and I think the selectors are looking elsewhere too. No buzz about him in the press from current or former players - big clue.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is there any buzz around Coulter-Nile?
I wasn't that impressed with Coulter-Nile last season despite the wickets he took but it looks like he's put in a lot of work in the offseason as I've been really encouraged by what he's sent down this season. I'm becoming a big fan.

No buzz in the press yet though and he's not in the Australia A squad so I think he's still a fair way away.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I wasn't that impressed with Coulter-Nile last season despite the wickets he took but it looks like he's put in a lot of work in the offseason as I've been really encouraged by what he's sent down this season. I'm becoming a big fan.

No buzz in the press yet though and he's not in the Australia A squad so I think he's still a fair way away.
Injured at the moment

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
Why has it taken Vernon Philander so long to debut in tests? The guy looks quality with the ball in his hands and his first class record is outstanding to. Plus, he is a decent batsmen as well, averaging 27 in first class cricket is quite handy. South Africa have had troubles with the 3rd seamer spot for a while now. Nel, Tsotsobe and the declining Ntiti have all been tried in the last few years and it suprises me that the selectors didn't turn to Philander.

Is he injury prone? Perhaps the selectors didn't like what that saw after his ODI stint? I heard somebody mention that Philander is known for having a bad attitude.

morgieb

Why has it taken Vernon Philander so long to debut in tests? The guy looks quality with the ball in his hands and his first class record is outstanding to. Plus, he is a decent batsmen as well, averaging 27 in first class cricket is quite handy. South Africa have had troubles with the 3rd seamer spot for a while now. Nel, Tsotsobe and the declining Ntiti have all been tried in the last few years and it suprises me that the selectors didn't turn to Philander.

Is he injury prone? Perhaps the selectors didn't like what that saw after his ODI stint? I heard somebody mention that Philander is known for having a bad attitude.
Isn't really 'fit' and he was rather gash in ODers.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

He's in incredible form now, which is why we should pick him over other bowlers, but I actually agree with you. He's not exactly the best quick that QLD has ever produced and other bowlers probably deserve a spot ahead of him (Bollinger, Copeland). A very good quick, but certainly not our best. And besides, QLD need him for our continued shield dominance :P

adub

International Captain
My take on the bowling is firstly - **** off Mitchell Johnson and never again darken the door of the Australian dressing room. (is it safe for me to say that yet? Still 7 wickets to take - Oh I didn't mean it, what I really meant was go MJ, you can take all 7 and smack a quickfire 100 to win the game you legend you)

Secondly, it's pretty obvious Cummins is going to play against NZ. Didn't agree with his selection and still don't, more because of worry that we might break him and it goes against the ideal of rewarding Shield performance, but there's no doubt if we can keep the back injuries away we might have found a real champion.

Thirdly, I still think for balance we need a steady holding bowler. Copeland is still the guy I reckon, but Butterworth could do the job too and add a little with the lower order batting. I fear however that the return of Hilfenhaus is imminent. Don't get me wrong, in form Hilf is far from the worst bowler around, but it looks like 'oh he's played test cricket and he's taken some wickets this season - let's go back to him'. Which would be really ****.

That leaves one spot which should be for an attacking wicket taker. Siddle could hold his spot here, but it looks like the Jekyll and Hyde thing with Siddle hasn't gone away. There's no question that when he's on song he can take wickets against anyone. It's just that when he's not he's just so ****ing innocuous. Since the start of the 09/10 summer he's played 13 tests and bowled in 22 innings. In 8 of those 22 innings he has gone wicketless. In another 7 of those innings he's taken just 1 wicket. Can we really justify a place to a guy who more than 2/3rds of the time he bowls will take 1 or 0 wickets? It's no wonder he's averaged 37 in that time. It's not Johnsonesque in it's utter gashness, but seeing an 18 year old in his 4th FC game giving him a lesson just shows up Siddle as the pretender he always has been. I have hopes for him because he does tease us with some good performances, but would someone like Cutting, or Pattinson, or more particularly Dougeh be more consistent? I think it's hard to argue that they wouldn't.

What to do with Harris is also a conundrum. There's no question that fit he commands a spot, but how often is he going to be fit. Cummins worries me and it might make sense to not try and get all 6 tests out of him this summer. Harris could then rotate with Pat until the youngster is really ready for full time duties. Of course look to play them both at Perth as well.

Which means that we still have a third seamer to select. Bollinger I believe should be the guy, but his injury will probably rule him out. Siddle's ability to go wicketless should rule him out, so I'd be happy to go with whoever makes an impression from the A game.

In short I'd have selection policy that went something like:
Leader of the Pack: Cummins/Harris (alternating to limit workload - both in Perth)
Into the wind, keep it tight: Copeland, Butterworth, Hilfenhaus, Hazelwood (longer term)
First change: Bollinger, Pattinson, Cutting, Siddle, etc

Playing Cummins, Copeland and Cutting in the first NZ test is obviously risky due to lack of test experience, but it sure beats the risk of playing Johnson, Siddle and Hilfenhaus due to proven test experience.

Spikey

Fun fact: While Hilf has taken 17 wickets in 4 games so far this season, of the 9 top 7 wickets 5 of them are left handed eg he's still not really all that flash against right handed batsmen

Deep down though, the selectors were so pissed they had to break up Hilf/Siddle/MJ

*there was one wicket of right handed McKay who was batting at 7, because White was hurt. I didn't count it because this is a slur campaign against Hilf so i mean

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah it would be truly awful. It would be like a really sickening sense of deja vu. The feeling woudn't be complete though without Marcus North coming in as the permanent replacement for Ponting.

TumTum

Banned
Something I forgot to mention is that Hughes' fielding has really improved recently, before he was fumbling a lot but now he looks sharp.

I hope that Clarke opens with Cummins, don't want SA to get their momentum back. I can't see how Siddle and Johnson would have improved overnight.

Also is Ponting the vice captain? He always talks to him. Watson must feel neglected.

Last edited: