• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

Debris

International 12th Man
Usman made a ton the last Test we played for God's sake.
The narrative is that he is good at home and **** away. What country was that century scored in again? Do you think selectors might have noticed?

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
In which country was Bancroft's last century scored?
I am not really a fan of Bancroft either (how bad was Renshaw really?) but I think he has played few enough tests that you can possibly justify sticking with him. Khawaja is getting to the point where you might just have to accept that he is bad. He might prove us all wrong next test but you are really betting against the odds now. He will almost certainly play in the next test as Australia did not bring a replacement so I guess we will see.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the only replacement they've brought is Handscomb, who looked quite out of sorts in the warm up so there's really not much room for change atm. Besides they're winning this test which makes a change even more unlikely. Even if the next test is a disaster for Bancroft I doubt they'll replace him and make Smarsh open.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Dropping Khawaja would be hellishly harsh, but I do think it kind of shows that you can't take a horses-for-courses approach to him. If you think he's so bad against spin that you have to leave him out on that basis alone, then you have to leave him out basically everywhere. Not many games of cricket played without facing a spinner.

TheJediBrah

Dropping Khawaja would be hellishly harsh, but I do think it kind of shows that you can't take a horses-for-courses approach to him. If you think he's so bad against spin that you have to leave him out on that basis alone, then you have to leave him out basically everywhere. Not many games of cricket played without facing a spinner.
It's more so spinners on spin-friendly pitches isn't it? This is no Sri Lankan dustbowl but it's definitely more spin-friendly than you'd usually see in SA or Aus

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
It's more so spinners on spin-friendly pitches isn't it? This is no Sri Lankan dustbowl but it's definitely more spin-friendly than you'd usually see in SA or Aus
I just want to say one last time.... the coastal cities, particularly this late in the season, tend to be more slow low and spin friendly conditions. SA does not just have just bouncy green pitches, we have a good variation across the country. Overall they have got a bit more so, because the pitches have got 'tired' and need to be replaced, but this idea that SA just produce bouncy seaming wickets is false.

TheJediBrah

I just want to say one last time.... the coastal cities, particularly this late in the season, tend to be more slow low and spin friendly conditions. SA does not just have just bouncy green pitches, we have a good variation across the country. Overall they have got a bit more so, because the pitches have got 'tired' and need to be replaced, but this idea that SA just produce bouncy seaming wickets is false.
Ok?

TheJediBrah

Why the question mark? Consistently people are implying that this pitch is unusual... 20 years ago maybe? Today this is what you expect in SA for Kingsmeade....
Because you responded as if you were disagreeing with what I said. But then you ranted about something different. I literally just said it's more spin friendly than a usual South African or Australian pitch.

I didn't say it was an unusual Kingsmead pitch, or that all SA pitches are bouncy and green. I didn't say SA doesn't have a good variation across the country. I just said what I said, in the context of Usman Khawaja being selected in overseas Test matches.

I don't disagree with anything you said but it seemed as though you were directing it at me as though I was saying something you disagreed with, which was stupid

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Because you responded as if you were disagreeing with what I said. But then you ranted about something different. I literally just said it's more spin friendly than a usual South African or Australian pitch.

I didn't say it was an unusual Kingsmead pitch, or that all SA pitches are bouncy and green. I didn't say SA doesn't have a good variation across the country. I just said what I said, in the context of Usman Khawaja being selected in overseas Test matches.

I don't disagree with anything you said but it seemed as though you were directing it at me as though I was saying something you disagreed with, which was stupid
All I was talking about is the single section I highlighted... it was not specifically directed at you but the in general assumption that this pitch is more spin friendly than normal for SA, it simply is not true. Probably missed the section I was highlighting.... no opinion on Khawaja (except I hope Aus keep playing him...)