• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wish I hadn't gone to bed now after Faf went out. Looks like a killer spell from Starc.

Burgey

People keep saying that but was it really that bad from SA? Seems like it was more so just good bowling than terrible batting. It's not like they were all caught at long on.
I’ve just watched some highlights, which obviously don’t give a full picture, but Starc reversing it at that pace to the tail is nigh impossible. Some of the nuts he bowled were nightmarish. Shades of Wasim in that spell.

Markram’s dismissal was itstl

Rssll

Cricket Spectator
SA cricket is in danger of becoming completely innocuous. Even if they suddenly begin posting respectable scores in this series, there still is no young batsman that inspires hope for the future. For the sake of their own consciences, I hope Faf, ABdV, and Amla space out their retirements at intervals of an year at least.
Markram should inspire a lot of hope for the future. There's plenty to suggest he could step up and replace Amla or de Villiers in a few years.

Bahseph

State Captain
That was top class bowling. I don't think we can say that the SA batting didn't play a part in that collapse but Starc could have ran through any line up bowling the way he did. ABD was amazing. I have complete admiration for Smith and truly believe he is the best in the world and a once in a generation player but does anyone make batting look as easy as ABD? I mean till he gets out way before he should haha.

Even if the lose is inevitable, I really want to see some fight in the second innings. This is the longest series so avoiding an absolute hammering here will be crucial for our confidence imo.

Burgey

How good is Lyon, btw?

As noted by others, already looked far more threatening than Ashwon’t on SA soil. WAG.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sweet and satisfying. Looks like Starc read all the posts on here from South Africans saying he wouldn't make their full strength side.

This is exactly why he makes any side in the world when fit.

Bahseph

State Captain
How good is Lyon, btw?

As noted by others, already looked far more threatening than Ashwon’t on SA soil. WAG.
A vastly superior bowler to what he was a few years ago. I think people need to open their eyes to that. I'd definitely back him to take wickets in more conditions than Ashwin.

Burgey

WPNCOS. Maharaja looks the goods too, it must be said.

All of these comments are of course qualified by he fact they’re all finger spinners. Terrible discipline of our game.

Bahseph

State Captain
Maharaj has been a great find. So glad we have moved on from the days of Harris, Peterson and Tahir.

flibbertyjibber

I know he gets a lot of stick and most of it is totally deserved but is Starc the best demolisher of a tail since Waqar and Wasim?

Gob

International Coach
I know he gets a lot of stick and most of it is totally deserved but is Starc the best demolisher of a tail since Waqar and Wasim?
Nah most of that comes from fat armchair critics who sit on their ass all day and knows preciously little about how cricket actually works

Dale Steyn use to have swift work of the tail ftr but when Starc goes around with a bit of reverse yeah pretty hard

Burgey

Was pleasantly surprised to see this score when I woke up. The grinding which the Marshes and Paine did yesterday late was well rewarded.

MMarsh a revelation. Looks a completely different player wit the cue these days. Good luck to him.

Shri

Mr. Glass
You just have to watch Starc live to get it. He was bowling regular balls that weren't doing much and you couldn't track the ball with your eyes in the Ashes. Not surprising that he took a bagful with the ball reversing.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
You just have to watch Starc live to get it. He was bowling regular balls that weren't doing much and you couldn't track the ball with your eyes in the Ashes. Not surprising that he took a bagful with the ball reversing.
Is it the slinginess that makes him such a tough proposition? Same as how Shoaib in full flow always seemed a nastier bowler than say Lee.

EDIT: Starc has a pretty high point of release, though, doesn't he?

Last edited: