• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2018

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
What about Nathan Lyon's situation? By all public accounts, he's cheated on his long-term partner whom he has children with and then dumped her, leaving her devastated. If Lyon were to sledge an opponent as being weak and cowardly, would an opposition player be entitled to point out that he has some nerve alleging that?

And the fact that they were never officially married mean that because it's only about 'wives' that technically it's fair game? Will defacto relationships have to be written into the next "Crossing The Line" publication?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think anyone said qdk's quip on his wife was acceptable though, so what's your point?

It's funny how you demonstrate how arbitrary the line is in this very post by saying attacking family is wrong, unless of course it's funny which then makes it ok because hey that's just toeing the line.
What about Nathan Lyon's situation? By all public accounts, he's cheated on his long-term partner whom he has children with and then dumped her, leaving her devastated. If Lyon were to sledge an opponent as being weak and cowardly, would an opposition player be entitled to point out that he has some nerve alleging that?

And the fact that they were never officially married mean that because it's only about 'wives' that technically it's fair game? Will defacto relationships have to be written into the next "Crossing The Line" publication?
That's the point, if someone clearly "crosses the line" with an especially distasteful sledge, that's poor form.

All this talk and sarcasm about "hur hur where is the magical line and who decides it" in response is indirectly defending personal and excessive sledging by implying that anyone who says someone crossed a line is being dumb because "where is the line?".

Whether or not there is a definitive line (who cares tbh) is irrelevant. If everyone can agree that a certain sledge is unacceptable then they agree it "crossed the line". There doesn't have to be a literal line.

Burner

International Regular
Lyon is probably safe tbf. He's bald, he has a beer belly and he still has **** stats, there's a lot of material to be covered before they even get to the cheating thing.

TheJediBrah

Not that I really care about it in this case though. If I heard De Kock saying something about Davey's wife giving BJs in club toilets I'd be laughing my ass off.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

But in Lyon's case he did nothing wrong

TheJediBrah

Just looked it up, she's a far superior female in every aspect. Still a bit sad there's kids involved.

Apparently his new girl used to date Mitch Marsh too lol

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
On a broader level, the problem is that the rules and conventions on what is and isn’t acceptable sledging and verbals seems to have been totally documented and codified by Australian cricket for decades and in their eyes all other countries must abide by it. By remarkable coincidence Australian cricketers hardly ever think they cross the line of this standard but are great at spotting when other sides do.

And don’t think that not engaging in sledging gets you off the hook. After the 2015 WC, Brad Haddin gleefully admitted they gave the NZ batsmen multiple send-offs because they’d found their non-sledging in their previous meeting “uncomfortable” and decided to consciously be aggressive and abrasive (of course, Michael Clarke had no issue with how Australia acted in the final). If only NZ before the final had sought out Australia to find out the happy medium of sledging that was considered acceptable it could’ve all been avoided.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
The tough thing for Australia is that sledging is so ingrained in their cricketing style is that even if they don’t get involved in any controversial incidents for a couple of years, just one incident can lead to ‘typical Australia’ claims. And it seems that under Lehmann they’ve thought “if that’s how we’re perceived no matter what why not embrace it and use it to our advantage?”

And Cricket Australia is in a no-win situation with how to react to situations like this because I reckon that the Oz cricketing public is roughly split 50/50 on how current Australian cricket teams behave.

So if they back Oz for their sledging, one half of the public will bemoan how ugly the Australian side looks and how they set a bad standard at junior level, etc…

If they come down hard against sledging, one half of the public will bemoan that the Australian side weren’t doing anything wrong and that they’ve gone soft (especially if they start losing).

I guess CA just try to hope ugly incidents don’t happen like this and they try to keep a happy balance of keeping both sides of the cricketing public semi-happy.

Victor Ian

International Coach
The line is the 140kg 6.6" thug rule. If you wouldn't say it to such a guy in a dark alley with no one around, don't say it. Part of what I really admired about the great West Indies was their silence. It was so much more menacing.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The line is the 140kg 6.6" thug rule. If you wouldn't say it to such a guy in a dark alley with no one around, don't say it. Part of what I really admired about the great West Indies was their silence. It was so much more menacing.
It was much better when they kick over stumps or something

TheJediBrah

Wow we are really getting our rose-tinted glasses out if we're remembering the WI sides as being great sports and not sledging

Victor Ian

International Coach
Wow we are really getting our rose-tinted glasses out if we're remembering the WI sides as being great sports and not sledging
Stop trying to pick a new fight - You are not finished with Bolo yet.

Maybe i'm just remembering the bowlers - Maybe just one of them.

Flem274*

123/5
meh, i've said it countless times - the only way to shut australian mouths and their whining about the line is you send them to Jesus.

South Africa have the bowlers to do it. If the Australian players know beamers or blatant no ball bouncers are the response to sledging they will stop. They only talk because there are rules banning retaliation.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I don't know which incident you think I can't see an issue with.

The "speak English" thing was absurd and PC policing at its worst.

Of course his behaviour on the recent video was appalling.

The fact that every tiny thing Warner does gets interpreted as hostile is what is really disturbing.

It's rubbish. Footage of him doing something behind closed doors that isn't illegal or harmful should not almost cop him a ban. CC tv footage like this (filming not in a public place) should be considered confidential unless required by police for an investigation. The person who leaked it should be severely reprimanded and fined.

The level of nationalistic tripe I've seen on here and in other places over this incident over the last few days is sickening. It has been a dogpile on the characters of Australian cricket and its supporters. There has been more of a nationalistic attack on Australians here than there was against the English in the wake of the Stokes affair.

It's bull**** and needs to stop.

And I'll note that Warner sucked it up and copped his punishment while De Kock appealed his like a spoiled child.

I've been pretty quiet over this whole thing but I do think Warner has been treated unfairly harshly over the last couple of years. He used to be a complete dick but he has made a lot of effort in the last few years but the media being blood sucking parasites jump on every tiny thing like it's the gravest offense ever.

I feel like we're living in a perversely puritanical era right now. On the one hand ***ual attitudes are more relaxed than they have ever been but on the other hand we ruthlessly police anyone in the public eye for anything that can be deemed even slightly offensive to anyone.

But now I'm treading dangerously close to RSP stuff so I'll stop there.
lol what a wah, especially the bolded. obviously a massive sore point.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
meh, i've said it countless times - the only way to shut australian mouths and their whining about the line is you kill all the c**ks***er mother****ers, the only good Australian is a dead Australian. Kill them all and finally genocide will be justifiable.
Say what you really mean.

Victor Ian

International Coach
meh, i've said it countless times - the only way to shut australian mouths and their whining about the line is you send them to Jesus.

South Africa have the bowlers to do it. If the Australian players know beamers or blatant no ball bouncers are the response to sledging they will stop. They only talk because there are rules banning retaliation.
Nah. The best way to shut the Australian's up is to just regularly beat them. Make them something like New Zealand, who are mostly not good enough to sledge. Rampant sledging only happens when you are winning.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. The best way to shut the Australian's up is to just regularly beat them. Make them something like New Zealand, who are mostly not good enough to sledge. Rampant sledging only happens when you are winning.
Disagree. The wallabies still sledge and trash talk and haven't been a winning side for 15 years. It is nothing to do with winning percentages; instead it is due to convict DNA.

Last edited: