• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Class from Bailey re: phoning d00lander.

Was also nice to see at the presser prior to the Sydney test that he wouldn't really want to come in to the side at the expense of Bailey.
Bailey really seems like a quality guy. Massive shame that he doesn't seem to have the game to succeed at test level.

Was quality in the comm box last night too. Could have a handy post match career as a commentator.

Just goes to show what we've already known for the past 7 years, form and class don't matter. To get into the Australian team as a batsman the only thing you need is connections and money. They should have just scrapped scorekeeping at the domestic level, no point really. Pick the winners based on "gut feel" and "who looks good".
A massive part of the reason we succeeded in the Ashes was that we got the mix right and got guys in the right headspace. Maybe there's something behind the scenes with Hughes we aren't privy to. Or maybe the selectors have decided he's only to be an opener and has to wait til Rogers finishes. Either way I'm pleased, because he always makes us look vulnerable, especially with Watto still around.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Bailey's test career : played 5 won 5. Not many players can say that. Bresnan should have retired while his record was similar...

adub

International Captain
did i miss something. i dont get the connection
I think he's banking on Smarsh performing respectably and so I'll be tasting it hard. Of course if Smarsh crashes and burns skidders will refer to his post about how he would have picked Hughes...

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think Marsh has too many technical issues when in good nick tbh, he should be as well equipped technically to handle Steyn as the rest of them assuming he's in decent form (he played really well in the first dig at Cape Town). His problem is that, well, he doesn't always seem all there mentally.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really mind the selection that much. There are other ways to impress than an extended period of good performance in shield cricket. I mean, to pick an extreme example, it's not as though Mitchell Johnson got back into the test team based on his shield performances, and plenty of people who have made a ton of runs at domestic level and failed in test cricket. There's all sorts of information we just don't know, and I can actually kinda imagine Marsh doing well.

Hughes is in such a weird place though, I guess they've decided to give him an extended break from international cricket rather than constantly picking/dropping him, because he's certainly put the runs on the board.

Spark

Global Moderator
From what Inverarity said, it sounds like they're waiting until Rogers goes before giving him the gig properly, rather than shuffling him up and down the order.

howardj

International Coach
Like I said earlier, it's good for Hughes to cool his jets. He's had his most success at international level as an opener. With that position taken, and his next chance bound to be his last, there's no harm in him baking in the Shield oven for another couple of years until Rogers exits. So he's not totally downhearted with his omission, it was pleasing to see Invers throw him a bone with his comments today.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what Inverarity said, it sounds like they're waiting until Rogers goes before giving him the gig properly, rather than shuffling him up and down the order.
Which is what probably should happen IMO.

the big bambino

International Captain
Not a problem Bailey out and Marsh will soon get injured or over celebrate. Then they'll probably pick Bailey again. Oh well. Stuck with one of them.

inbox24

International Debutant
The stats are just bizarre.

First class records of the two players:

Shaun Marsh 85 FC matches averaging 35 with 8 centuries

Phil Hughes 104 FC matches averaging 45 with 24 centuries!

Hard to believe that Marsh has made 8 centuries in 13 years of playing first class cricket, not even one century per season. Hughes on the other hand has only been playing for less than 7 years and has 24 centuries. There's absolutely no reason to be picking Marsh from any perspective either from the standpoint of current form (Marsh averaging 25 over the past 2 seasons), age (Hughes 5 years younger), class (Hughes better long term average), and "feel" (both have similar technical deficiencies against spin and outside off stump). The reason Inverarity cited was absolutely rubbish, saying that they consider Hughes a top order batsman only. Don't they know that Langer, Ponting, Waugh et al all started their careers batting number 6?!

At least with Hussey, Katich, Hodge et al you can claim for age, recent form which hasn't set the world on fire or lack of recent exposure to international cricket, but there is nothing you can do to defend this.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey, Katich and Hodge are all retired from FC cricket. Why would they be considered for selection to begin with anyway?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hussey, Katich and Hodge are all retired from FC cricket. Why would they be considered for selection to begin with anyway?
So that's it!

Justification for Marsh' selection is that he isn't retired

Can't bat, can't field but available

Hands up all that meet this criteria

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, look, if he wants to argue against Marsh's selection that's fine. No qualms with that (I'm far from convinced that it's the right move). But suggesting Hussey, Katich or Brad "I haven't played an FC game in 5 years and have made it clear I only want to play T20" Hodge as alternatives undermines the argument entirely.

Argue Hughes is better, fine. Argue for Chris Lynn or Joe Burns, Nic Maddinson or Moises Henriques. Argue for Solomon Mire or that kid from the local U/12s with a decent straight drive if you can put together a coherent case. But saying "Marsh isn't good enough, pick Hussey" may as well be saying "how about we get AB de Villiers batting at 6 for Australia". They're simply not available for selection and hence considering them is pointless.