• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's the measure to picking Marsh then?
I am a Shaun Marsh fan, I will out that on the table, but I wouldn't have picked him. I would have picked Hughes, then Marsh.

Why I have him that high is that you see a player and you think he has the tools to make big. Obviously he has success as well as failures in h is brief test career but his talent has never been in question, just mentally. We can't judge what his attitude is like now but I'm sure it's been adjusted since that. He has some technical short comings, but overall he is a well rounded batsman. Players of class batting around average players in Shield don't have that pressure to perform and can just revert to mediocrity. Sometimes they need that next level to bring out that excellence.

Briony

International Debutant
I am a Shaun Marsh fan, I will out that on the table, but I wouldn't have picked him. I would have picked Hughes, then Marsh.

Why I have him that high is that you see a player and you think he has the tools to make big. Obviously he has success as well as failures in h is brief test career but his talent has never been in question, just mentally. We can't judge what his attitude is like now but I'm sure it's been adjusted since that. He has some technical short comings, but overall he is a well rounded batsman. Players of class batting around average players in Shield don't have that pressure to perform and can just revert to mediocrity. Sometimes they need that next level to bring out that excellence.
Agree that you select players on the basis of who might succeed at the next level, not just stats but as has been mentioned, Marsh has flopped before. How do we measure talent anyway when a guy can't put the numbers up in first class cricket? His slow scoring rate at test level doesn't scream talent.

adub

International Captain
Players of class batting around average players in Shield don't have that pressure to perform and can just revert to mediocrity.
kinda makes you feel for all those classy WA bats that have had to spend so many years being dragged down to Marsh's level of mediocrity

adub

International Captain
Agree that you select players on the basis of who might succeed at the next level, not just stats but as has been mentioned, Marsh has flopped before. How do we measure talent anyway when a guy can't put the numbers up in first class cricket? His slow scoring rate at test level doesn't scream talent.
Even in his last two ODI digs he's been conspicuously unable to turn the strike over with singles. He's hit plenty of the lovely 4's that get the fangirls moist, but other than the run down to 3rd man he's really struggled to find 1s. SA ain't going to be giving him the 4's I suspect, nor will he find it any easier to pick up singles with fewer fielders out patrolling the boundary. They are going to dry him up and work him over outside off stump. I'll take Benchies bet that Rogers will score more in the series. 50 should just about do it.

howardj

International Coach
Marsh seems certain to be at 3 in that 1st Test

Can't rationalise him being resurrected as a shadow player for a tour

Picked very much for a particular role it seems

Doolan will have to cool his jets, go on safari etc.

Justo

U19 Debutant
I reckon Doolan will be in with Marsh as reserve. Personally would have preferred Hughes over Marsh or if a stop gap was needed (to give Hughes etc 1-2 years in the shield) Voges or North.

Pretty happy with the rest of the squad though and it's largely what was expected. I was interested in seeing who the reserve keeper would be with Lehmann in charge but will have to wait a bit longer.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
kinda makes you feel for all those classy WA bats that have had to spend so many years being dragged down to Marsh's level of mediocrity
Ha ha

Shaun Marsh has produced mediocre returns for virtually his entire career so he obviously got dragged down early and stayed there

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to this like no other series not involving England........has all the ingredients to be a cracking contest.

The 2 pace attacks are phenomenal and it is going to be tough tough work for all the batsmen.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Reckon Lehmann's ideal is Watson being a full fledged AR down the order and one of either Marsh or Doolan will bat at #3. Should be Marsh because to make Doolan debut at #3 against Steyn and Philander would be nasty. Marsh does have the game to deal with #3, perhaps more than anyone else in the country.

I reckon…

Warner
Rogers
S.Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Harris
Siddle
Lyon

I like the squad, pleased to see Hughes not there.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
John Inverarity's message to all Shield batsmen working hard to get good enough to pile on a stack of runs.
SMarsh selection is so ****ing dire. Even my WA mates had North and Voges in front of him.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Class from Bailey re: phoning d00lander.

Was also nice to see at the presser prior to the Sydney test that he wouldn't really want to come in to the side at the expense of Bailey.

inbox24

International Debutant
Just goes to show what we've already known for the past 7 years, form and class don't matter. To get into the Australian team as a batsman the only thing you need is connections and money. They should have just scrapped scorekeeping at the domestic level, no point really. Pick the winners based on "gut feel" and "who looks good".

Last edited: