• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
JustTool said:
That's a stupid, self-centered opinion. So if India, or Pakistan get out for under 200 on a bouncy wicket at Perth does that mean the wicket is unfit for Test. Or does it only apply when Australia fails.
he was tralking about BOTH teams failing twice in teh same match...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
They barely squeaked out a 2-1 win after 19 years (thanks to the rain in Chennai) and they suspend all modesty, humility and class.
Well, I guess it takes one to know one about not having modesty, humility or class.

And the rain did not rob either side of a surefire win - the only people who lost out were the fans, since we all missed what could quite probably have been the best day of Test Cricket in 2004.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what is your point in providing articles about australias alledged 'unsporting' comments.... and saying that they are unbiased when they are so clearly biased the other way....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dydl said:
How do you know that India would have won? It was even-ish, you don't know that the Australians might have won? You don't know if the Indian's would have won. You can't just presume because they were in a slightly better position, that they would have won. Many teams can and have pulled off victories in the toughest situations.
Exactly, and as was pointed out - no side has chased down anywhere near as many runs at that in the 4th innings at Chennai and won the game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
If I agree with you then, logically, you must agree that had a few inane umpiring decisions gone India's way in the first 2 Tests then things could have been different
Yet again, conveniently overlooking the decisions that went India's way wrongly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JustTool said:
And how did the doubts arise - who has most vocally questioned Murali's action ? And not Brett Lee's ?
Brett Lee's?

Since when has there been something wrong with his action?

Deja moo

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Exactly, and as was pointed out - no side has chased down anywhere near as many runs at that in the 4th innings at Chennai and won the game.

India made 347(?) to tie a test vs Australia in 87. That was just one run away from victory.

Sehwag309

Banned
Deja moo said:
India made 347(?) to tie a test vs Australia in 87. That was just one run away from victory.
Also, if the Mumbai pitch can break a record , so can the chennai one (but we will never know that)

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Deja moo said:
The Australian side in 1987 were very different to the world beaters we have now. Australia were in a rut which they were just starting to climb out of.

And still - India didn't win.

Eclipse

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
well not after his recent comments, but the fact is ive never called him great before because of his poor record in india.
well thank god it's only your opinion.. because most people will disagree with you but I suspect you know that..

And on his recent comment's I wont deffend them because I dont see the problem.. That sort of the guy Ponting is he is fairly outspoken and honestly if he says some things that are a little out of place some time that does not bother me.. I think he is a great bloke and I have never had a bad experiances with him personly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
marc71178 said:

But then again, not many teams needed to make that many runs in the fourth innings in Chennai, as they generally bowl well in the first and third innings and bat very well in the second innings. Plus, this test was happening in September, which is very much preseason in India. Not even Ranji games have started yet and the wicket would not have gone that bad, heck, it would have only gotten slower, which enables better backfoot defensive play, as was amply demonstrated by Gillespie and Martyn. No, sir, I do think India had a better chance of winning, but as someone else pointed out, teams have won tests from tougher positions that what Australia were in at Chennai. But still, it was 60-40 for India, IMHO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Mark Waugh and Ponting have always been a little sore as losers. They don't act as graciously as we have seen Steve Waugh and Adam Gilchrist do. Plus, I think JustTool's points are right to a point: Under Gilchrist, Australia played more defensively than I have ever seen. Maybe, Ponting's inputs were there too, but seeing how the fields were set in the fourth test, I doubt it.

I think Harbhajan, Ponting, Mark Waugh, Sourav, Warne, Yuvraj are guys who cannot say the nice things. They all like to bash each other because they all have the same attitude, for good or for bad.

Craig

World Traveller
thirdumpire said:
just a thought.... if Clarke had been brought on half an hour earlier.....
Could have taken 7 wickets and India be bowled out for less and thus a lower total which Australia just sneak over the line and win, or Tendulkar and Laxman's eyes light up and hit him around Mumbai.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
By 'eck, you lot aren't half good at making arguments out of nowt, are you?

To summarise, as a neutral - in that I dislike Australia and India almost equally
1) India lost at home, most amusing in that it shoots down a fairly large tranche of hyperbole
2) Australia implode chasing 107, very, very funny
3) Cracks in Indian cricket papered over by the win in the fourth Test - it happened to England so often in the 90s, and it's being repeated. The series was lost, and the BCCI should pay scant attention to the win on the minefield.
Yes well I'm sure England are a very popular side amongst both Australian and Indian supporters :p