• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Deja moo

International Captain
The match was in Bangalore...as was the team selection.

Aus vs Mum is in Mumbai ( no , I'm not at the stadium:()

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems to me like the Aussies definitely want Clarke for the first test. Obviously, he'd never play in an opening capacity, but if they're giving him some match practice...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
telsor said:
The same thought occured to me when I noticed that the A side used 10 bowlers in the second innings.

That said, if it works, then surely it counts as a good tactic..after all, the game was there to get the test side ready for the first test.
And I've also just noticed it was a 14-a-sider, so it has no meaning at all.
Anyone can get runs in a match of the status of a Saturday Club friendly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
Aus vs Mum is in Mumbai ( no , I'm not at the stadium:()
And it's all gone about as well as I'd have hoped.
All the Aus bowlers hit their stride (McGrath esp), only the part-timers are expensive - all the batsmen get some time at the crease.
This match is First-Class, and just doubly assures that we don't get any "so-and-so was out-of-form".
We're all poised for the start of the joint-biggest Test-series in cricket.
Yes, I really mean that.
The Border-Gavaskar Trophy, along with the Basil D'Oliveira Cup, is cricket's best-contested competition over the last decade or so.

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
And it's all gone about as well as I'd have hoped.
All the Aus bowlers hit their stride (McGrath esp), only the part-timers are expensive - all the batsmen get some time at the crease.
This match is First-Class, and just doubly assures that we don't get any "so-and-so was out-of-form".
We're all poised for the start of the joint-biggest Test-series in cricket.
Yes, I really mean that.
The Border-Gavaskar Trophy, along with the Basil D'Oliveira Cup, is cricket's best-contested competition over the last decade or so.
Not over the Ashes and Test series between Pakistan and India?

V Reddy

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
I can't help but raise my eyebrows at the way the A side were well on top and then seemingly lost it against a paor of batsmen that needed runs to boost their confidence ahead of the Test series...

I found that very very suspicious too :@

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what do you expect though, they cant have the A side knock of the seniors a week before one of the biggest test series of their lives.

Sehwag309

Banned
age_master said:
what do you expect though, they cant have the A side knock of the seniors a week before one of the biggest test series of their lives.

..I wouldnt stretch it that far by saying "..of their lives"

Its an very important series, whatever the A side did, certainly greased up Sehwag to hit those 9 6's, it may or may not be effective in the Series, we'll wait and watch

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag309 said:
They weren't showing on DD?
Not with this telecast rights nonsense. All I got to watch were bits and pieces of older footage taken from what could be a private camera, and the angle was incorrect. It got footage from one end, and stayed at the centre for long, so I couldn't identify which end. It had bits and pieces of commentary, too.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
One of the bottom five from the Indian team has to step up as a batsman if they have to have a good chance of winning the series.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
One of the bottom five from the Indian team has to step up as a batsman if they have to have a good chance of winning the series.
But isn't that always the case ? Someone from the bottom five has to come good.

I would say in B'lore, India has to survive the McGrath and Gillespie onslaught at the beginning and if that happens, things can change rapidly after that.That's why Chopra is vital to the equation just as he was down under.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
But isn't that always the case ? Someone from the bottom five has to come good.
It has rarely or never happened for the Indian team. IF the top 6 have scored a large total, someone must tell one of the bottom five, especially Pathan or Harbhajan, to bat for a 50 or more, at a good strike rate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
I wonder what would have happened if that were Australia playing Australia A?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
It has rarely or never happened for the Indian team. IF the top 6 have scored a large total, someone must tell one of the bottom five, especially Pathan or Harbhajan, to bat for a 50 or more, at a good strike rate.
Because it is that easy to do against McGrath and co isn't it?

Still, those 2 should be batting in the top 6 for the next 5 years, just in case one of them belies their current records to become and all rounder 8-)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Because it is that easy to do against McGrath and co isn't it?

Still, those 2 should be batting in the top 6 for the next 5 years, just in case one of them belies their current records to become and all rounder 8-)
not easy...but not impossible, marc...especially if the top 6 have scored a lot, there is a very good chance that the bowlers are a little down and the tailenders can swing their bats around more effectively....

all said and done, it's really difficult to see beyond australia in this series...unless the wickets are totally devoid of pace and really, really, really spinner friendly.....and the indians bat very well against warne(probably will)....and tendulkar plays all three tests(india missing tendulkar is a much, much bigger loss than australia missing ponting...especially on spin-friendly wickets...).....and harb & kumble at least combine to be the same strike-force that harb was last time.....and vvs continues his exceptional batting against the aussies....and ganguly makes some vital runs.....and dravid remains solid throughout the series(most likely to happen)....a lot to ask....not impossible, they have already proved that....just very, very difficult....

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I wonder what would have happened if that were Australia playing Australia A?
may be something similar??
but thats pure speculation.. as is commenting on a game one hasn't seen and has no concrete reports to go on.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Arjun said:
Actually I am sorry, I was thinking about the "top" five while replying to a post where you mentioned the "bottom" five. My bad.