• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India 2023

anil1405

International Captain
Careless is the word that comes to my mind seeing that Gill dismissal. Team is 3 down inside 10 overs and you casually play a shot like that in the air.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
they also had Rashid at 10, thats what the batting depth is and no other team can realistically do that while still having a good bowling attack
Rashid is at 10 coz he doesn't score runs lmao. since 2018 he averages 16 (a lot of not-outs, of course) and has a top score of 35 and hasn't batted in almost half the games he's played in. which is fine as he's a bowler who performs his role very well. but the 'value' he adds to batting depth is literally being over-rated here

england is lucky enough to have a series of bowlers who push to near bowling all-rounder status but nearly all of them are in the team as out and out bowlers. england is able to start these bowlers from 7 partly because the incredible jos butler means that they have someone who genuinely deserves a spot in the top 6 which means they don't need to pick 6 batters and then squeeze their keeper in at 7. they have a free spot at 7 to give to someone, and it's almost always a bowling all-rounder type, not a batter. and that is because england themselves are not over-rating batting depth!

(and nobody try the jos butler is amazing because he has a strong tail behind him nonsense. jos has been amazing basically since the start of his List A career)

Spikey

as always I hate the structure of this team from Aus. it was bad enough when we played 3 'all-rounders' but now Green? why on earth is Stonis playing over an actual bowler.

ofc today will probably be his 1 game in 7 when his bowling isn't horrid
i am undefeated

Socerer 01

International Vice-Captain
Rashid is at 10 coz he doesn't score runs lmao. since 2018 he averages 16 (a lot of not-outs, of course) and has a top score of 35 and hasn't batted in almost half the games he's played in. which is fine as he's a bowler who performs his role very well. but the 'value' he adds to batting depth is literally being over-rated here

england is lucky enough to have a series of bowlers who push to near bowling all-rounder status but nearly all of them are in the team as out and out bowlers. england is able to start these bowlers from 7 partly because the incredible jos butler means that they have someone who genuinely deserves a spot in the top 6 which means they don't need to pick 6 batters and then squeeze their keeper in at 7. they have a free spot at 7 to give to someone, and it's almost always a bowling all-rounder type, not a batter. and that is because england themselves are not over-rating batting depth!

(and nobody try the jos butler is amazing because he has a strong tail behind him nonsense. jos has been amazing basically since the start of his List A career)
you’re missing the point of Rashid being a much better 10 than anyone else can be in another team which allows the other batsman to bat better because they can rotate strike better and still be positive without slogging to get dismissed early. those incremental advantages add up when these tailenders who usually don’t last long can survive for a few more balls if required

India had Jadhav and Dhoni and also Pandya at 5 6 7 and while no one individually is good as Buttler they were solid enough and yet everyone and their analyst knew that India could never do what England did because once teams got 6 wickets they knew it would only be a matter of time usually

Spikey

you’re missing the point of Rashid being a much better 10 than anyone else can be in another team which allows the other batsman to bat better because they can rotate strike better and still be positive without slogging to get dismissed early. those incremental advantages add up when these tailenders who usually don’t last long can survive for a few more balls if required
it's not missing the point when I call it over-rated. it's me saying that the point is..........over-rated.

If England wanted these things, why don't they pick a proper batter at 7?

Socerer 01

it's not missing the point when I call it over-rated. it's me saying that the point is..........over-rated.

If England wanted these things, why don't they pick a proper batter at 7?
because it is better to have a bowling all rounder at 7, almost no team plays a proper batsman at 7 these days as bowling flexibility is more important

Spikey

because it is better to have a bowling all rounder at 7, almost no team plays a proper batsman at 7 these days as bowling flexibility is more important
....so we're basically agreeing. adding batting depth at the expense of bowling strength is not a sensible thing to do, which is what the Australian team has been doing for years and years, and is why I said batting depth is over-rated. some people get nose-bleeds when they see a bad batter at 8 but say nothing when 2 **** part timers have to make up 10 overs.

Socerer 01

....so we're basically agreeing. adding batting depth at the expense of bowling strength is not a sensible thing to do, which is what the Australian team has been doing for years and years, and is why I said batting depth is over-rated. some people get nose-bleeds when they see a bad batter at 8 but say nothing when 2 **** part timers have to make up 10 overs.
i agree with adding batting depth to make up for poor bowling not being sensible especially when that depth is just Stoinis but having someone incapable of batting at 8 is also not good either unless their bowling is well and above good which it usually isn’t

Australia don’t need to do that either, Cummins or Starc can be okay as 8 and if not there is Abbott too, why do they chase batting depth if at all they did because as far as I remember they have just played four of their best bowlers who aren’t bowling all rounder territory until recently with Green or Stoinis at 8

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, resignation letters are always full of heartfelt truths. 8-)
So........do you believe he was incorrect in his statement of facts about what was going on with Indian cricket at the time, or do you believe that while the facts may be true that he is wrong in considering them to be problems?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So........do you believe he was incorrect in his statement of facts about what was going on with Indian cricket at the time, or do you believe that while the facts may be true that he is wrong in considering them to be problems?
I believe you have a hard time trying to live up to your own words.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
KLPD is playing himself into the #5 slot in the test team as the keeper/bat isn't he? :(

Gavaskar and Shastri have been all over this idea.