• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2017

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only 4 batsmen with averages over 30 so far this series.

Starc is the 5th highest scoring batsman this series.

If that's not the sign of dire pitches nothing is.

Kohli is possibly the worst human being alive for marring one of the best tests in history with unfounded accusations of cheating. And it makes it twice as bad given his side won. Terrible sportsmanship from a terrible human being.

My other complaint is the terrible pitch. If you want to use the term "cheating" to describe anything, the doctored pitches in this series is about as close as you can get to an entire side cheating. It backfired in the first test but worked in this one. The ball that got Steve Smith out in the second innings should not happen. It removes all skill from the game when wickets like that occur.

Having said that, India played the better cricket and deserved the win. I feel that there were 4 key moments in the game. Ignoring the toss that is (which is massively important on poor pitches like this).

Renshaw's dismissal in the first innings was unnecessary and wasteful. Ditto with S Marsh's wicket. One of those two needed to go on and make a hundred to push India out of the game.

Our bowling in the third innings was the worst in the game. We dropped catches but even more importantly we leaked runs. In a game where every run was vital, we leaked too many.

The final thing which cost us the match was the Warner DRS dismissal. Such a razor fine DRS call dropped us to one review, which probably affected Marsh's decision to walk as well. Warner was very unlucky but Marsh was sawn off. Warner's dismissal was worse than Kohli's IMO in the context of the game.

Four things which combined gave India enough to win. Very disappointing end to a quality test.

Can we get a reasonable pitch for the next test though. I'm a bit over these crap shot bowler dominant pitches.
Why is there no mention of how Marsh was lucky in the first innings to survive a caught behind when he was on 14(went on to make 66 subsequently)? DRS/Umpiring went both ways in this test; I reckon they were actually more marginal ones that went Australia's way...Smith first innings (umpires call on lbw), kohli 2nd innings lbw, MMarsh second innings lbw which was umpires call etc.

From cricbuzz:

U Yadav to Shaun Marsh, no run, now beats him on the other edge of the bat. Not sure if it hit a crack or something but the deviation off the seam was prodigious. India go up in appeal, even ponder over a review, but decline it eventually. Smartly so. There's daylight between bat and ball. Oh scratch that! India have missed out on one here. On replays, there's a clear indication of the ball brushing glove. A little spike on Snicko too

He was on 14 then, went on to make 66. Even ignoring the cumulative effect of one bloke going big, that's 42 additional runs...which on that pitch was probably worth 75.

Obviously that doesn't count because it's marginal, but him being "sawn off" in the second innings is what counts. Great logic but I can't say I'm surprised about Oz fans having selective amnesia and cherry picking when they're not sooking about Kohli.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
In the first innings, SMarsh was out but not given. Out caught behind, no less. Are you saying it was a faint nick so it doesn't matter?
What? The post you quoted is very obviously talking about the second innings. I don't know why you went on to talk about marginal decisions when quoting a post about a decision that wasn't.

Having said that, from memory both sides copped wrong decisions throughout the Test, but for the most part they were successfully overturned.

Last edited:
What? The post you quoted is very obviously talking about the second innings.
Yeah so what? The post is talking about how that was one of the factors in Australia losing the match, conveniently ignoring that the same bloke benefited from an umpiring error in the first innings, without which Australia would have probably not had a lead.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
SMarsh's decision wasn't marginal, it was wrong. There's kind of a difference.
Yea it was wrong that S Marsh was not given out caught in the first innings on mere 14 runs, as he went on to form partnerships as well as score 50 or so extra runs himself. This had a huge impact on the game as there may not have been much of a 1st innings lead.. and India thus could've set an impossible target for Australia to chase in the final innings, if 188 wasn't hard enough..

Hopefully Australia will have a losing streak upto the Ashes where we could pummel them if we have a full strength side. Their confidence and egos will have to be shattered; hopefully Kohli and co can kickstart the process.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From cricbuzz:

U Yadav to Shaun Marsh, no run, now beats him on the other edge of the bat. Not sure if it hit a crack or something but the deviation off the seam was prodigious. India go up in appeal, even ponder over a review, but decline it eventually. Smartly so. There's daylight between bat and ball. Oh scratch that! India have missed out on one here. On replays, there's a clear indication of the ball brushing glove. A little spike on Snicko too

He was on 14 then, went on to make 66. Even ignoring the cumulative effect of one bloke going big, that's 42 additional runs...which on that pitch was probably worth 75.

Obviously that doesn't count because it's marginal, but him being "sawn off" in the second innings is what counts. Great logic but I can't say I'm surprised about Oz fans having selective amnesia and cherry picking when they're not sooking about Kohli.
Do you wear Ed Hardy, Jeff?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was just saying the other day we needed some more complete idiots on here

Looks like my prayers have been answered