• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
Dont fool yourself TEC, Giles ave in winning games is still 32 and of the 25 tests won he has only 2 yes two 5 wicket hauls.
because now only 5 wicket hauls win games is it? where did you come up with that now? his 18 wickets in the first 2 tests against the WI won england the game. his 4/46 against NZ at trent bridge won england the game. his 16 wickets in the first 2 games in SL saved england from defeat, his 7 wicket in the 3rd test in pakistan won england the game. but then again hauritz has done all of that hasnt he?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Scallywag said:
Dont fool yourself TEC, Giles ave in winning games is still 32 and of the 25 tests won he has only 2 yes two 5 wicket hauls.
At least he keeps one end tight. :sleep:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
can he spin the ball significantly? no
does he have any variety? no
is he accurate? no.

im sorry, anybody who thinks that hauritz is anything other than the worst spinner ever picked by australia, is seriously out of their mind.
Is he accurate yes, that and his ability to drift the ball away from right handers is all he has. Your right about the other two things, but he is accurate, that why he is decent 1Day bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Is he accurate yes, that and his ability to drift the ball away from right handers is all he has. Your right about the other two things, but he is accurate, that why he is decent 1Day bowler.
so im obviously missing something when his ODI ER stands at 5.13? no hes not the most wayward bowler either, but he doesnt bowl with the pin point accuracy that you'd expect any quality spin bowler to do.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
And that all he can do keep one end tight, anyone who thinks thaa a guy that averages 32 in games that team wins play a major role in the victory is out of their mind. Vettori averages 23.17 when his team wins, now that a major contribution to victories, add to that 4 5-fers and 10-fer

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
And that all he can do keep one end tight, anyone who thinks thaa a guy that averages 32 in games that team wins play a major role in the victory is out of their mind. Vettori averages 23.17 when his team wins, now that a major contribution to victories, add to that 4 5-fers and 10-fer
yet the ODI bowling average has absolutely no relation to accuracy.
also you might want to note that his average goes up to 53 when you discount the game against non test class opposition. ER goes up to 5.38.
what a fantastic ODI bowler!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
so im obviously missing something when his ODI ER stands at 5.13? no hes not the most wayward bowler either, but he doesnt bowl with the pin point accuracy that you'd expect any quality spin bowler to do.
He only played 8 ODIs, his List A E/R of 4.7 shows his fairly accuarte. If you take out ODI it goes down further. I never said he was quality, that was someone else, but he is fairly accuarate

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
He only played 8 ODIs, his List A E/R of 4.7 shows his fairly accuarte. If you take out ODI it goes down further. I never said he was quality, that was someone else, but he is fairly accuarate
how is an ER of 4.7 supposed to be anything other than poor?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
yet the ODI bowling average has absolutely no relation to accuracy.
also you might want to note that his average goes up to 53 when you discount the game against non test class opposition. ER goes up to 5.38.
what a fantastic ODI bowler!
Who are you talking about Haurtiz or Vettori, surely Haurtiz, but you quoted something about Vettori

Scallywag

Banned
tooextracool said:
because now only 5 wicket hauls win games is it? where did you come up with that now? his 18 wickets in the first 2 tests against the WI won england the game. his 4/46 against NZ at trent bridge won england the game. his 16 wickets in the first 2 games in SL saved england from defeat, his 7 wicket in the 3rd test in pakistan won england the game. but then again hauritz has done all of that hasnt he?
An average of 37 after 45 tests to me does not suggest a good spinner. As Clarke displayed on some days anybody can get a bag of wickets just by bowling. Giles has played 45 tests which would suggests that he would have had a few of those games under his belt. Anyway all he has to do is take wickets and really trouble the Australians like Vettori has then I will have to say he's good. But I dont think that will happen.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Who are you talking about Haurtiz or Vettori, surely Haurtiz, but you quoted something about Vettori
hauritz obviously, what has vettori got to do with this argument?
hes got a brilliant ODI ER.

tooextracool

International Coach
Scallywag said:
An average of 37 after 45 tests to me does not suggest a good spinner.
please, show me where i've said that hes a good spinner?
hes a good spinner only and only on a turner. in fact on a turner hes very good.

Scallywag said:
As Clarke displayed on some days anybody can get a bag of wickets just by bowling.
did you watch that game at all? even you and i could have bowled spin on that wicket in the 2nd inning and picked up wickets.

Scallywag said:
Giles has played 45 tests which would suggests that he would have had a few of those games under his belt. Anyway all he has to do is take wickets and really trouble the Australians like Vettori has then I will have to say he's good. But I dont think that will happen.
the odds of that happening outside of a turner are very slim, on a turner the odds are extremely high. certainly someone whos caused the indian and Sri lankan batsmen who are far better players of spin than the australians on turners shouldnt have too many problems against australia on a turner?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
hauritz obviously, what has vettori got to do with this argument?
hes got a brilliant ODI ER.
I don't care about Haurtiz, all i was trying to piont out that he was fairly accurate, not that he had great accuarcy. You seemed to miss the point, oh well.

Vettori was more to do with your calm that Giles has a major impact to Test victory with an average of 32. I was showing he doesn't when you consider some like Vettori, with a simliar overall Test average, has an average of 23 when his team wins.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
the odds of that happening outside of a turner are very slim, on a turner the odds are extremely high. certainly someone whos caused the indian and Sri lankan batsmen who are far better players of spin than the australians on turners shouldnt have too many problems against australia on a turner?
Come on TEC Giles hasn't really caused India or Sri Lanka that much trouble on turners, he averages 33 aganist them in Asia. he had the odd good game, but that is about, he doesn't really cuase as much trouble as you seem to be saying. He only caused Pakistan major threat on turners. You could argue that Australia are better players of spin then Pakistan, so i doubt he would cause them that much trouble on even turners. He would be more effective but thta about it.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I don't care about Haurtiz, all i was trying to piont out that he was fairly, not that he had great accuarcy. You seemed to miss the point, oh well.
how did i miss the point? you said that he was a good ODI bowler with his ODI ER of 5.38 at an average of 53. then of course you brought up his fabulous list A ER which is 4.7 odd.

chaminda_00 said:
Vettori was more to do with your calm that Giles has a major impact to Test victory with an average of 32. I was showing he doesn't when you consider some like Vettori, with a simliar overall Test average, has an average of 23 when his team wins.
i said giles wins games for england on turners. i know vettori is a better bowler than giles, and a better match winner.

tooextracool

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
Come on TEC Giles hasn't really caused India or Sri Lanka that much trouble on turners, he averages 33 aganist them in Asia. he had the odd good game, but that is about, he doesn't really cuase as much trouble as you seem to be saying.
no if you analyse it according to the turners hes played on its a different story. the only turner hes played on in india was at ahmedabad which was a slow turner, where he took 5 wickets at 24.80. even his overall average in india - 33 is far better than both warne and murali.
in SL not including the 3rd test from the 03/04 tour which was a dead flat wicket, his average stands at 26.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
i said giles wins games for england on turners. i know vettori is a better bowler than giles, and a better match winner.
On what turners has he won games, in 25 Test that England have won with him playing he only had 6 games that he taken more then 5 wickets. He also had 15 games that he taken 3 or less wickets in the game. In Asia in the 5 games that they won he had match figures of 7/132, 0/105, 6/70, 1/99, 0/13. I would give him 6 maybe 7 games that he won for England and only two have been on absolute turners.