• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in decline thread

Will Australia Fall into a Slump?

• Yes

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 23 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The last time Australia and West Indies drew a game without time lost to the weather was Lara's game at the SCG in 1992/93.

Both drawn games that have had time lost to the weather in the meantime have been in Antigua too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The last time Australia and West Indies drew a game without time lost to the weather was Lara's game at the SCG in 1992/93.

Both drawn games that have had time lost to the weather in the meantime have been in Antigua too.
Changing the subject, didn't WI chase down 400+ at Antigua a few years ago?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aside from the dead pitch, it was a much better venue. Mostly due to its location. More accessible and therefore a much better atmosphere for the most part.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was interesting, though. The overriding impression of that game was of the curator (Roberts) trying to suppress The ARG's square's extreme flatness - and failing. The first-innings' saw the ball move all over the place, the second ones saw the classic ARG nothing-to-bowlers-of-any-kind.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a more sporting pitch than the ARG, certainly. I got so annoyed when a commentator on the radio called it "the flattest pitch the game has seen" or something of the sort, because it certainly was not.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Burgey said:
The young guy Ponting threw the ball to in Sydney to take three wickets in an over to win Australia a test?

Yep, dud captaincy that.
Actually, Clarke should have been introduced way earlier. He definitely underuses him and a bunch of people were saying it in the thread too if I remember.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL @ Ponting getting called a bad captain for looking the better side over five days with two bowlers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LOL @ Ponting getting called a bad captain for looking the better side over five days with two bowlers.
It's utterly ridiculous really the way people will make-out that a captain is poor because his bowlers are poor.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
We are reading a bit too much into this series I feel. By the sounds of it the wickets seem dead flat... ?

Usually when a dominant sports team (person) isn't dominating the sport anymore it's also because the competition / opponents are catching up.

Which nations do you guys think are on the rise and will dominate like Australia has been?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Periods of dominance of a sport such as Australia of the last decade are exceptionally rare. I don't imagine we'll see one again any time soon.

It's remarkable enough that we had two as close together as West Indies (1976-1986) and Australia (1995/96-2006/07).

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Periods of dominance of a sport such as Australia of the last decade are exceptionally rare. I don't imagine we'll see one again any time soon.

It's remarkable enough that we had two as close together as West Indies (1976-1986) and Australia (1995/96-2006/07).
I'm backing Bangladesh 2010-2020 to be the next. Followed by Mozambique 2021-2031.