• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in Bangladesh

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
The 97 Ashes was far from McGrath's first good series. It was more like his 6th good series, in a row. He was certainly among the best bowlers in the world at the time, though I doubt many people would have rated him "the best" outright until a little after that.

edit: interesting to compare Donald and McGrath's records at the time though. In August 1997, at the time the Ashes finished..

Donald - 155 wickets @ 23.36
McGrath - 155 wickets @ 23.46

Bizarre.
those are indeed interesting stats, but what they do show is that Donald merely didnt bowl as much from 91-97 as he did thereafter. nonetheless Donald had not only proven himself over a much longer period of time, but he also had a better SR and more importantly he had succeeded in the subcontinent while a large proportion of people around the time thought that Mcgrath would struggle to take wickets in the subcontinent for several reasons.

tooextracool

International Coach
adharcric said:
So here's a question:
How many of these performances will it take for Bangladesh to be included (and not excluded as lowly minnows) in statistical assessments throughout the CW community?

*waits for the day that pathan can make a devious claim to world-class test all-rounder status*8-)
for one thing even when bangladesh games are counted towards the stats, it doesnt mean that performances against them while they were rubbish should also be included in the stats

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One of the things that this series shows, or will show in the wash-up, is that Bangaldesh is going to be a tricky place for non-subcontinental sides to tour in the near future. To draw parallels with Sri Lanka, they weren't exactly a high class international side until the late 90s, but from the late 80s on touring Sri Lanka was a tough thing to do for teams unaccustomed to the conditions. Australia for example managed to beat Sri Lanka in 1992, but only with great difficulty, whereas when Sri Lanka toured Australia 3 years later it was a hugely one-sided whitewash.

I think we can expect similar things from Bangladesh. It's been clear throughout this game that in home conditions where there is minimal bounce and lateral movement for visiting pace bowlers, Bangladesh batsman aren't overly tested technique wise against seamers. This is especially true when they are facing a pace attack with little experience in such conditions. While Lee has been bowling very well for the last six months, he's never really toured the subcontinent before, and it's a new challenge, as it is for Clark. And while visiting spin bowlers will get some assistance, Bangladesh have one decent experienced spinner and another guy in Haque Jnr. who is a massive talent, and they may well be able to hold their own in that area, particularly since the surfaces (at least when they are like this one) don't offer a huge amount of turn, but they allow the home bowlers to exert a bit of pressure nonetheless.

A lot of the shock from this game, whatever the result, comes from the fact that the first team to really tour Bangladesh and face a big challenge happens to have been the best in the world. I think given the way Bangladesh have played in the last three days and the way they have utilised their advantage with the conditions, they would have challenged any of the non-subcontinental teams, and perhaps beaten some of them. They will take a huge amount of confidence from their performance so far, and with such a young side and some really talented guys coming through like Nafees, Haque Jnr. and Mortaza, they're definitely not the easy beats of world cricket any more, at least when they are playing at home.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
for one thing even when bangladesh games are counted towards the stats, it doesnt mean that performances against them while they were rubbish should also be included in the stats
Right. There's a huge difference for me between the wickets MacGill took against Sri Lanka in 2003 and the wickets he took against them yesterday. You could see they meant a lot more to him as well.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
So in one day 'Are' becomes 'Were' ?? Now that they have performed well against australia, they are no more rubbish ? So next time Irfan takes a fifer against them they become rubbish again ?

Did you know that Bangladesh's first innings in the test cricket was 400 ?

adharcric

International Coach
tooextracool said:
hence the "devious" ... relax, i'm not an idiot
and you dont go from rubbish to good overnight

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin said:
Yes, once when he was bowling a ball went up in the air, I think I heard MacGill say F*ck!!
MacGill was furious when he had a close LBW shout one ball, and the next ball got hit straight in the air and landed in between Clark and Martyn because neither of them called for the catch. He also reacted pretty badly to Gilchrist dropping one off his bowling.

While Lee and Warne just looked tired and dead on their feet on day 1, the other Australian bowlers seemed genuinely frustrated, even Clark who is usually deadpan about everything.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin said:
Yes, once when he was bowling a ball went up in the air, I think I heard MacGill say F*ck!!
and i'm sure Lee told Mashud yesterday, when he looked at him, what the fock he was looking at.:laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
they're definitely not the easy beats of world cricket any more, at least when they are playing at home.
well yea your probably right about this point, because their batsmen dont have the best techniques so they should still struggle when they go overseas and have to counter seaming conditions or hard bouncy pitches.

Haddin

U19 Debutant
I know, his face was so red...His reaction to that dropped catch by Gilchrist, it reminded me how Haddin reacted the ING Cup Final.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
MacGill was furious when he had a close LBW shout one ball, and the next ball got hit straight in the air and landed in between Clark and Martyn because neither of them called for the catch. He also reacted pretty badly to Gilchrist dropping one off his bowling.

While Lee and Warne just looked tired and dead on their feet on day 1, the other Australian bowlers seemed genuinely frustrated, even Clark who is usually deadpan about everything.
Did you see MacGill mouth off at the bangladeshi batsmen when he had him caught via another half-tracker

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Haddin said:
I know, his face was so red...His reaction to that dropped catch by Gilchrist, it reminded me how Haddin reacted the ING Cup Final.
I laugh so much when he jumps up with his fists clenched

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
ARGH, Dizzy. He's not happy with himself.

Well played Bangladesh, stuck with it and didn't let the shoulders drop, got the breakthrough eventually.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
GoT_SpIn said:
Did you see MacGill mouth off at the bangladeshi batsmen when he had him caught via another half-tracker
and the warne never done that 8-), all that shows is he is spending too much time with Warne.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
finally MacGil gets a bat, for a while i thought i would have to wait till tommorow to watch the great man bat.