• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia A in England 2019

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bird is a victim of the Australian summer schedule.

He isnt much of a white ball bowler so he falls behind a few guys each year and then you look up and he has another good Shield year. Tremain is similar too.

Its also double hard to crack into a bowling lineup compared to a batting one, especially when bowling is the stronger discipline. Test standard? Sure.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Carey will be in the squad, for sure. I'm quite sure they've anointed him as Paine's successor as captain so they have the tricky job of sneaking a second keeper into the team so the transition is smooth when the inevitable happens.

He might end up at #6 on the virtue of his WC runs and the fact they need to get him into the team.

With Warner and Smith not likely to be named captain anytime soon, the only real contenders (outside Carey) to be test captain I can see are Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc or Khawaja. I dont think they view Khawaja as a leader (he looks apathetic and doesn't set the tone) and I dont think they'll give it to a quick long term.

If Mitch Marsh had been able to average somewhere close to 30 with bat and ball he would likely have been test captain now or very soon.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Bird is a dangerous proposition on a deck that is doing a bit, no doubt about that. As that MCG test showed he can look a bit anodyne on a real flat pitch, but all in all I would say he is Test standard.

Honestly I would marginally take Neser over Tremain, although when we start getting that low in the pecking order it is really much of a muchness. Wouldn't pick either barring massive injury issues

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Paine to give up the captaincy after losing The Ashes and not scoring enough runs to justify his place.

Cricket Australia to lift the captaincy ban they imposed on Smith because he's been a good boy since.

Smudger to lead Australia out in Brisbane with Josh Hazlewood as VC and Alex Carey on Test debut.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I really can't fathom this Carey for captain hype. Everyone seems to rate him highly as a leader except those from SACA. He has never led for the Redbacks, they had the chance to give him the job for the JLT Cup but they went with Jake Lehmann instead.

I simply can't understand this at all.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Paine to give up the captaincy after losing The Ashes and not scoring enough runs to justify his place.

Cricket Australia to lift the captaincy ban they imposed on Smith because he's been a good boy since.

Smudger to lead Australia out in Brisbane with Josh Hazlewood as VC and Alex Carey on Test debut.
Even as things stand I feel like a non-negible amount of Australian cricket fans think the ban on Smith and Warner was too leinent. I can't see appointing him captain going down well any time soon.

morgieb

The Carey hype is probably around him seeming like he has leadership potential and the lack of viable captaincy candidates in the side.

Think a lot will come down to how Head handles the Ashes. If he does OK or better he'll be the next captain. If he gets found out (and I feel like he will) it's back to the drawing board.

Spark

Global Moderator

The captaincy ban on Smith only lasts a year anyway right? I certainly don't think they would contemplate giving it to him before then regardless.

TheJediBrah

Even as things stand I feel like a non-negible amount of Australian cricket fans think the ban on Smith and Warner was too leinent. I can't see appointing him captain going down well any time soon.
Don't call them Australian cricket fans. They're casual followers at best, who actually know very little (if anything) about the sport or sport in general.

Think a lot will come down to how Head handles the Ashes. If he does OK or better he'll be the next captain.
fmd that's depressing

aussie tragic

International Captain
We will find out who the next captain is when they announce who's captaining the other side to Paine in the Aus vs Aus match (since they stated it would be a schoolboy draft pick XII, rather than a best vs rest XI)

Last edited:

morgieb

Don't call them Australian cricket fans. They're casual followers at best, who actually know very little (if anything) about the sport or sport in general.

fmd that's depressing
You're right on both accounts. But the problem is the casuals are loud and somewhat numerous. It would be bad for CA's image. And unfortunately in the current side Head has the highest captaincy potential out of the batsmen. Have to look to the bowlers and I think Australia would be reluctant to pick a bowler as captain.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
We will find out who the next captain is when they announce who's captaining the other side to Paine in the Aus vs Aus match (since they stated it would be a schoolboy draft pick XII, rather than a best vs rest XI)
Won't it be finch?

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly believe Head will have a decent Ashes, can be vulnerable with his lack of foot movement early but when set he is absolutely test class.

As for captaincy, maybe one day but not yet. Having seen a lot of his work for South Australia he's reasonably solid but can be overly conservative at times with his leadership

aussie tragic

International Captain
Despite absolutely hating his selection at the time I'd be open to a recall if he scored lots of Shield runs. He should definitely never open again though.
Except between captaining ODI's and T20I's as well as the BBL, he won't get the chance to score lots of shield runs