• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia A in England 2019

wrongun

Banned
Except between captaining ODI's and T20I's as well as the BBL, he won't get the chance to score lots of shield runs
Agreed. Finch himself admitted that Test Cricket messed his technique up. Let him focus on his strengths. Has the makings of a good solid leader. Let him focus on limited overs cricket and build his squad for 2023.

wrongun

Banned
I honestly believe Head will have a decent Ashes, can be vulnerable with his lack of foot movement early but when set he is absolutely test class.

As for captaincy, maybe one day but not yet. Having seen a lot of his work for South Australia he's reasonably solid but can be overly conservative at times with his leadership
I hope grafts his way through. He has scored runs in difficult conditions against good bowling attacks. His head needs to remain still earlier on.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I got my full of fetus-looking captains with Smith, going through it again with Head would be too much

Flem274*

123/5
just give it to smith if paine goes. there will be squawking sure but it's not like people are going to refuse to attend/watch the cricket, or the home ashes in the case of the casuals.

people say they'll do stuff but they won't often follow through.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly can't comprehend this Carey for captain hype at all. If he is really a future leader like so many are saying why did SACA go for Jake Lehmann ahead of him as captain when Head was away for the last JLT cup? Not even sure if he has led Glenelg in first grade, Tom Plant was usually the captain there

Now the sides for the next game. Khawaja still injured by the looks of things

Hick XII: Joe Burns, Cameron Bancroft, Steve Smith, Peter Handscomb, Matthew Wade, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine (c, wk), Michael Neser, James Pattinson, Jackson Bird, Chris Tremain, Nathan Lyon

Haddin XII: David Warner, Marcus Harris, Kurtis Patterson, Travis Head (c), Marnus Labuschagne, Will Pucovski, Alex Carey (wk), Pat Cummins, Mitch Starc, Peter Siddle, Josh Hazlewood, Jon Holland.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
If Smith is made captain again surely he will not make the same mistake again, he will only let those who will not get caught tamper with the ball, certainly will not let Bancroft do it again.

Test_Fan_Only

First Class Debutant
Smith batting at 3, a sign that he might do so in the first test if Khawaja does not play?
Patterson is at 3 in the other side, perhaps he is the other candidate.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Just reading that Pucovski was hit on the foot by Starc and he missed practice yesterday. Can Aussie bowlers please stop taking out the batsmen in the nets ffs ;)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Key match ups for the game today

5th Pacer: With Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood and Pattinson a lock, this should be between Bird and Siddle. Strange that Siddle must bowl with 3 of the 4 locks so might find it harder to share wkts (or also may bowl more than the others whose bowling output may be closely managed to ensure fitness)

2nd opener: Burns, Bancroft and Harris fighting it out to partner Warner. No surprise that selectors pitted Harris against the 2nd string pace attack, while Burns and Bancroft have to face Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood and Siddle (best loser could also make the squad as the spare batsman)

Allrounder: Langer was recently quoted that he saw Marsh and Labuschagne fighting for the one allrounder spot. This is Labuschagne's spot to lose given his county form.

# 6 Batsman: Reports indicate that Khawaja will be right for 1st Test (and may even bat in 2nd innings of this game) so Warner, Smith, Khawaja and Head appear to be locks in top 5. They could slot the allrounder into #6, however fight appears to be between Wade and Patterson (loser could also make the squad as the spare batsman)

Back-up keeper: It's pretty clear selectors want Carey, so this becomes a bat off between Wade and Carey (i.e. if Wade is in the squad as a batsman, why do they need Carey)

2nd spinner: do they need one? Obviously it's Holland as only other spinner in squads, however if Labuschagne outbowls him then I can't see him being picked (not Test class)

So this leaves the following players as wild cards: Pucovski, Handscomb, Tremain and Neser

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Labuschagne's bowling shouldn't really be a factor (I know it is though). Wish TPC could keep up with his bowling, or at least be willing to bowl some more so we could stop giving Langer reasons to pick Labuschagne.