• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Man, when the standards of The Hindu went down the drain, seems Sportstar went down too. I remember how good the content used to be in the 90s and even early noughties. :( Then Wisden Cricketer came along and blew this one out of the water. Then it became the crapinfo magazine which then finally went digital and that meant no regularity or continuity or anything. :(

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Man, when the standards of The Hindu went down the drain, seems Sportstar went down too. I remember how good the content used to be in the 90s and even early noughties. :( Then Wisden Cricketer came along and blew this one out of the water. Then it became the crapinfo magazine which then finally went digital and that meant no regularity or continuity or anything. :(
Sportstar was gun in the 90s. It was probably so ahead of its competition, both in quality of articles and also the quality of print.

Still remember the 96 world cup coverage of theirs. Collector's item with rich photos from previous world cups, trivia and what-not.

The Hindu as a publishing house has sadly gone downhill really bad under N Ram.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The doctored “fusarium” pitch? The fungus infected 22 yard pitch in the middle of a stunning, green, verdant award? Yeah it was ****ing terrible. The Oval 2009 was pathetic too, the way it was ****ed around with. Basically turned it into Chennai day four as a one off. Transparent as ****.

Apparently neither was never reported on or complained about though, according to our erstwhile posters in here.
I'm guessing the bit in your last sentence about no complaints is tongue-in-cheek. But I'll still defend the 2009 Oval wicket. Plenty of runs in the 3rd and 4th innings, and the Australian collapse in their first innings was just one of those Broad things that he does from time to time. We didn't realise that then of course, as he'd never done it before, but we all know now. Headingly in1972, on the other hand ..... And it would have backfired if Illingworth and Snow hadn't saved our first innings.

EDIT
I thought I'd better have a look at Day 2 in 2009 in case I was making it all up. And to be fair, the pitch was very dry with some balls going through the top, and Swann was turning it miles. And yet it was Broad's spell that did it, and if he made better use of the conditions, that doesn't make the conditions bad. It was an odd pitch really, because people thought it would be unplayable by Day 3, but that just didn't happen.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like senile dysentery copped himself a ban for the duration of the 4th Test. Very convenient in case India struggle. :artist:

Shri

Mr. Glass
thought bumrah was injured/dealing with sad things but turns out he's missing a test to get married

did kohli tell him to do it so that him leaving the aus tests can be seen as normal