• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Just wondering what could have happened if India won the toss in 1st test.. it was practically a road for first two days. Rohit in that form might have scored a massive massive score even a 300+.. hoping to see it happen in the next test.. once he gets set, he can bat forever with his style..
Yes. Win the toss and win the match it was like that in first test.

sunilz

International Regular
Just wondering what could have happened if India won the toss in 1st test.. it was practically a road for first two days. Rohit in that form might have scored a massive massive score even a 300+.. hoping to see it happen in the next test.. once he gets set, he can bat forever with his style..
We are the home side. Shouldn't be complaining about toss.

I don't think we would have prepared this type of pitch if we had fully fit Shami , Jadeja.
Shami and Jadeja are immense on Indian wkts and Root is in a very great form. So the need for producing spin friendly track from Day 1

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
If we exclude multis, including the ones I haven't banned yet, then yeah Daemon posted pretty well.
Why haven't you banned him yet? No need to dig for proof of the multi.......just ban him for posting like an absolute knob. Simple.

Chrish

International Debutant
Ashwin’s hundred was sort of dead-rubber, it wouldn’t have made any impact whether he scored 10 or 100.

Rohit was the man!

sunilz

International Regular
Ashwin’s hundred was sort of dead-rubber, it wouldn’t have made any impact whether he scored 10 or 100.

Rohit was the man!
Not sure about this. He came when IND had lead of 296. If he had gotten out cheaply then IND might have been restricted to overall lead of around 340.
And this total of 340 is not unchaseable if you look at events of last 1 month.

Robbie

U19 12th Man
Rohit caught the snake and fought it into broken submission.

Ashwin stomped it to death when it was trying to awaken and come to its senses.

Chrish

International Debutant
Not sure about this. He came when IND had lead of 296. If he had gotten out cheaply then IND might have been restricted to overall lead of around 340.
And this total of 340 is not unchaseable if you look at events of last 1 month.
IMO there is no way England was chasing anything above 300 in these conditions. Even that is stretching it.

sunilz

International Regular
IMO there is no way England was chasing anything above 300 in these conditions. Even that is stretching it.
People also thought the same about India after Adelaide 36 all out.
In cricket all it takes is a good knock from top 3 to bring back the momentum

Chrish

International Debutant
People also thought the same about India after Adelaide 36 all out.
In cricket all it takes is a good knock from top 3 to bring back the momentum
Chasing 300 in place like Australia where pitch doesn’t break apart isn’t the same thing as chasing similar score in subcontinent.

Chasing anything over 250 in 4th inning in Asia and task becomes daunting.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer

I don't think we would have prepared this type of pitch if we had fully fit Shami , Jadeja.
Shami and Jadeja are immense on Indian wkts and Root is in a very great form. So the need for producing spin friendly track from Day 1
Umesh as well.

Chrish

International Debutant
Which isn’t a daily occurrence. If I were the captain with 300+ lead and have bowler such as Ashwin at my disposal, I would sleep soundly.

Chrish

International Debutant
Yeah India wound not have gone out of their way to prepare turner if Jadeja was fit. We would have seen wickets similar to last few tours. There have been hardly any real turners in past few series.

Robbie

U19 12th Man
First time since 1995 (more than 300 tests ago) since England's been bowled out twice for less than 300 runs in total. And Root blames the bowlers !

the big bambino

International Captain
Ishant Sharma does not move the ball much in Australia, Shami too does not get too much lateral movement when he's bowling in Australia. Both bowled at good pace and made the most of the bounce offered by the pitch. Our recent series triumph in 2020/21 was more due to brilliant teamwork than individual performances by bowlers, rare to happen again.

Teams mandatorily need 2 bowlers who have good pace and utilize the bounce best to win in Australia. South Africa had the ideal blueprint for it with Steyn and Morkel.
Well ok but Ishant did bring the ball in to Finch especially. Shami is noted for sideways movement generally. Morkel averaged 34 in Australia and Steyn more pace and swing bowler. I think Skull had it right when he said pace men need 2 of pace, movement or bounce in Australian conditions. Which is why bowlers of moderate pace like Tremlett succeeded out here. It doesn't matter, if like Shami, the movement is small. May even be an advantage. Just enough to beat the batsman and making the variation harder to detect.

D

Deleted member 38150

I am not complaining at all. I am just wondering how lucky Eng got in 1st test. If they lost that toss, Ind would have most likely scored a 700+ total from which it will be very difficult to come back from in the series. But this makes it a more even series and will be more interesting in the next 2 tests..