• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
These Indian umpires need to be removed and few neutral umpires need to be brought in! Couldn't be more incompetent if not going to give that out!

Every little kid who knows about Lbws knows thats plumb out. But umpire doesn't think so.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
how could he give kohli out but that one not out? lol. if he thought he hit it he should have raised his finger considering pant caught it. anyways another one to add to the list in this game.
I mean it took Kohli and the Indian side the whole 15 seconds to review so it's not like they were convinced it was out. Lots of moving parts to pick up in real time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean it took Kohli and the Indian side the whole 15 seconds to review so it's not like they were convinced it was out. Lots of moving parts to pick up in real time.
The issue is that the ball tracker has it wrong as the ball hit him well in line of the stumps as you can literally see off-stump when the ball hits his pads. I have no idea what they were arguing about the review but I thought, on first look, it was either caught or LBW and it HAD to be one of the two.

Bijed

International Regular
how could he give kohli out but that one not out? lol. if he thought he hit it he should have raised his finger considering pant caught it. anyways another one to add to the list in this game.
I'm not saying Root wasn't pretty lucky to get away with that and I know the "close" element of each of those decisions was different, but when an on-field umpire gives a two similarly close (in margin terms) decisions once each way (from a batting/bowling POV, I know both decisions went in England's favour), they're not being "inconsistent" imo. They're simply giving their opinion on impact/hitting etc based on that particular ball, "umpire's call" isn't a thing at that point, it's just yes/no on each factor involved.

Even with exceptionally similar decisions - say for example the Root thing had happened again a ball later but been given, if it was showed to look basically identical on DRS it wouldn't necessarily be fair to describe the umpire as "inconsistent". Impact especially must be pretty tough where fine margins are inovled, as I don't really think a human being can discern the exact fraction of the second contact is first made at, which the techonology can do, so subtle variations in pace/angle of delivery can alter real-time perception enough so that two impacts that the technology shows as identical could legitimately have appeared slightly different on field.

Hmm, now I feel like cnerd, what with all this defending of umpires

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Root had the luck of all ages there! But what goes around comes around. The irony of it..!! Bairstow & Crawley have to play next test, which two miss out? Bess comes back. Olly Stone has been really good.

hazsa19

International Regular
The issue is that the ball tracker has it wrong
The ball tracker isn’t right or wrong, it just shows what happened then shows what it calculates will happen. On this occasion it showed that part of the ball struck in line and part of the ball struck outside the line.

Robbie

U19 12th Man
Root had the luck of all ages there! But what goes around comes around. The irony of it..!! Bairstow & Crawley have to play next test, which two miss out? Bess comes back. Olly Stone has been really good.
Don't see Bess coming back.

No guarantee of Bairstow coming in, but it seems likely. Let's give Lawrence a chance tomorrow first though !!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The ball tracker isn’t right or wrong, it just shows what happened then shows what it calculates will happen. On this occasion it showed that part of the ball struck in line and part of the ball struck outside the line.
Yeah the ball tracker's fine, umpire's call for impact is just stupid as a concept.