• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 2nd Test at the Adelaide Oval

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
weeeelll, who said this was heading for a draw :happy:

Glad I got the early shift today, this is going to be a top finish!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Just wondering about the overs remaining. It's seemed like the days here have an absolute end-point, of 7pm (here in Melbourne, accounting for the time difference), whereupon stumps must be called. Will that be enforced on this last day, or will we get the standard 20 overs over the last hour condition?

I've noticed that Flintoff has been tinkering with the field a lot lately - if this game does have to end at 7pm, we may well not get the full allotment. Anyone able to clarify on this?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
We need a miracle now. I'm kissing goodbye to the Ashes already.

Well played Australia, you're the better team by far. We just don't have what it takes to be consistently competitive these days.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Pietersen on. As damning an indictment of Giles as there could be tbh, that the part-timer is not only being trusted instead of him, but is also bowling better than him.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
What does it say about your attack when you`re relying on Pietersen to be your spin partnership-breaker and your main pacer has bowled 2 overs?

England have some quality players, no doubt about it, but they seem all talk with little result. Some selections and tactics have been mind-boggling. Still plenty of areas for Australia to improve in though IMO.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Slow Love™ said:
I've noticed that Flintoff has been tinkering with the field a lot lately - if this game does have to end at 7pm, we may well not get the full allotment. Anyone able to clarify on this?
As Pietersen and Giles seem to be getting through their overs at a good pace at the moment, it probably won't matter, I guess. I do wonder about the situation if Flintoff was to effectively waste time, though. It used to be that you'd finish your overs unless the light got too bad, but just recently it seems like here are times that the day's play must finish by, regardless of light quality.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Flintoff off the field, Joyce on. Don't think Fred's alright, he wouldn't go off now unless it was troubling him a lot. Ah well, series is gone anyway. He might as well rest up.

Laurrz

International Debutant
this has to be one of the greatest test matches EVER!!!!

its funny when i know someone said at the Gabba that at one stage... well when Australia made 600... and England were batting he said that this match reminded him of the one between Australia and India a couple of years ago where Australia made 500 odd..India made 500 odd... India SKITTLED Australia for 190 and Australia died....
funny that THIS MATCH is almost the exact replica of that match... freaky

goes to show that... u can't expect anything in test cricket :blink: ...well not until Warne retires anyway

and Hussey...sheesh.. batting at #4 i was so relieved when he came in... theres a sense of aura around him where u go... yay its huss... he'll put us to safety!!! and i guess oppositions must think.... oh no its friggin Hussey!!

but REALLY two matches have been played in the Ashes this summer... and there havebeen two massive players that have influeced this 2-0 result [i hope i haven't jinxed us]
Hussey and Clark... seriously, Ponting and Hussey will have amazing partnerships in the next half decade IMO and Clark will step into McGrath's shoes no problem at all... he and Warne set the tone today.. 8 overs for 9 runs... if thats not McGrath like i don't know what is !!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Ponting gone. He doesn`t pass 50. Oh my goodness. Perhaps he wants to protect his conversion rate.

Late twist? I hope not.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Giles gets Ponting, but probably five overs too late. Gilo's not bowled especially badly, but he hasn't provided the control we need. However, if this opens the floodgates and we win, I take that back. :D

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Just wondering about the overs remaining. It's seemed like the days here have an absolute end-point, of 7pm (here in Melbourne, accounting for the time difference), whereupon stumps must be called. Will that be enforced on this last day, or will we get the standard 20 overs over the last hour condition?

My understanding is that the new ICC time regulation does not apply on the 5th day of a test. Basically, the rule is to encourage teams to bowl their full allotment and decrease use of floodlights etc in test cricket, but it has no bearing on the final day. Play will continue, light permitting, until 90 overs have been bowled in the day.

And yeah, as you say, once the umpire declares the "last hour" has begun, there has to be 15 overs, regardless of how long they take. This is obviously designed to stop teams stalling for time when defending a total. The last hour should be in progress now, though I haven't actually seen anything about it yet. Either way, Australia will get at least 14 more overs after this one.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
LOL, Flintoff comes on to the field after the wicket. Questionable leadership so far IMO.