• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2022 New Zealand Tour of England, Ireland, Scotland & Netherlands

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Looks like the black caps are going to bowl today. The Sussex boys have padded up.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good, a wicket. Nice work CDG and quality slip catch from Young.

Edit: And one for Duffy as well. 57/2 is much better. Very casual appeal for Duffy's (caught behind by Blundell).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ajaz getting a bowl before lunch (and more than 1 over). Good. I wonder if Rachin and Macewell will bowl (much) today.

Flem274*

123/5
96/3 off 30 overs at lunch. Bracewell has had 3 overs, Ravindra 0. Has he moved ahead?
ofc he has lol they're batting the kid they confiscated from wellington as a teenager at 8 now because after pulling the trigger on his test career (something no one made them do) they're feeling sooky because he failed a bit.

shades of the 2000s this. player picked before he's ready and the inevitable happens so they pluck another project player from fc instead.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I was a bit shocked when they batted him at 8. If we bat again tomorrow (or today) weather permitting I hope he has a chance in the top order. Also I wonder if Fletcher will get practice with the gloves. Might be needed if Blundell gets injured. I hope for his sake the weather is okay tomorrow and he gets a bat. Getting a golden and not keeping is hardly the ideal debut.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I do worry sometimes that Rachin's career could track along a Danny Lee (NZ golf) trajectory. It'll probably be a lucrative pro career, but not as good as it maybe could've been. That'll be thanks to men (not necessarily Rachin's family) with pure impatience and business on their minds who should've known better.

Macewell could be on more of a Ryan Fox trajectory. Really unheralded kind of guy for a lot of his 20s, good bloodline though, eventually got his ducks in a row and bloomed late.

nzfan

Looked at the scorecard, checked the number of overs Ajaz bowled and then Bracewell, Rachin. Then watched ball by ball of the over Rachin bowled just now

To be honest there was no way they could have bowled Rachin after the over he bowled. The kid is suffering with bowling yips I think.

Pretty much every ball he bowled was a long hop barring one ball that he got the wicket. Nearly took out Young at short leg. I can attest that's definitely yips. More psychological than technique. Hope there are some experienced helping hand that know about bowling yips and can help him through it in the management.

In the best interest of Rachin they better not name him in the 15. It takes time to get over bowling yips. Either a complete rest from bowling couple of months or start bowling at club level and slowly get through it. I think his bowling is too good to give up on.

It can happen if you've been bowling for years which he has been I guess. Happens to the best of the lot in all sports. No shame in that I suppose. It'll cost him a spot in the squad but then he's not going to play anyways so better release him. Good thing is this happened in a tour game. If you look at the last game he played for firebirds that's when the yips hit him. Surprised no one noticed it then.

I'm not saying Bracewell is the answer but he could be a stop gap for now. He has like 12-13 years of first class experience and will come in handy. I guess that could have been the reason why they picked him in the first place and also gave him a contract.

Rachin's batting looks in good order though. Should have batted him much higher no doubt about that.

nzfan

Very impressed with Tom Haines the Sussex captain. Looks a class batter. Pretty young as well, 23 years old. He has the most county championship runs last year. Likely future England opener.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
2 June marked in the calendar with a big X and a picture of Kane Williamson, fresh from stinking up the IPL

No Nicholls will make things slightly interesting.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
The hot form of Ben Compton vs. an attack that should frankly be far too flash for him tonight. Compton's the most recent braai guy to emerge from being a complete nobody at age 25 to really dominating an England/Aus/NZ first-class scene with sheer weight of runs by age 28. If not for the IPL, this tour game could've given him a last chance to be only the third man in 84 years to reach 1000 runs before the end of May.

New Zealand's contingent of IPL players are beginning to link up with the squad, with Devon Conway and Tim Southee having now arrived in the country following their respective teams' failure to reach the last four, and Kane Williamson due in the coming days after a spell of paternity leave. The new arrivals are expected to play bit-part roles over the coming four days, meaning that the fixture is likely to be downgraded from first-class status.

This would be bad news for Compton, who might otherwise have had two last innings to secure the elusive landmark of 1000 runs before the end of May. The last man to achieve the feat was Graeme Hick in 1988, although in 2012, Compton's cousin Nick reached 1000 runs on June 1, after a rain delay at Worcester had kept him off the field on May 31.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Did any of you see the combined Anglo-Kiwi XI that Wisden produced? It is dreadful and really shows English bias with 5 English players selected including Bairstow as keeper!

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, Sarah Waris writing pieces like that for Wisden could be like the NZC's establishment fondness and overpromotion of all things Rachin.

A perfectly nice, conscientious and agreeable person by the looks of it, but perhaps not really in that position if the target demographic hadn't changed so rapidly.