• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2007 NRL Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just noticed if Warriors win their match this weekend then all four home finals will be in four different states (well three states and another country). Is that the first time we have only had one home final in Sydney?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gidley > Stewart and Slater. I'd rank him behind the other two, but Stewart is over-rated as hell (*waits for our resident biased Manly fan to rip into me*) and so is Slater to some degree. Gidley is gun.
Stewart is far from over-rated, definitely in the best 4 fullbacks in the competition.

When fit, the order goes something like this: Hunt, Minichellio, Stewart, Slater, Bowen, then the rest fall behind.

Johnners

LOL @ those who won't even consider Gidley. His defence owns Slaters & Stewarts, and his ability it attack is severly underrated. His footwork is awesome, and his ball playing skills are imo easily superior to Stewfart & Slater, and whilst he mightn't be as quick as them, he more than makes up for it with the rest of his game.

In an unbias mood i'll admit that he's not as good as Hunt or Bowen, but he more than matches all the other clowns.

howardj

International Coach
Nobody beats Bowen's club form at the moment. I've been a scathing critic of his in the past. However, the number of tries he has saved this year, plus his electric attack, stamps him as numero uno at present. Having said that, for representative football, I would go for Hunt. Tough as anything that bloke.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Stewart is far from over-rated, definitely in the best 4 fullbacks in the competition.
That comment does nothing but support my case for him being over-rated. He wouldn't be over-rated if the majority of people didn't disagree with me and think he was better than he really is. Gidley is far superior.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The only reason i can see for Stewart being over rated is if you expect him to play as playmaker like Gildey, Bowen and Hunt do. When it comes to general fullback duties his only behind Hunt and Mini.

Gildey and Bowen overall are better players, but if was going to pick a guy to play fullback and Mini and Hunt aren't fit and you have three playmakers at 6,7 and 9. You would go for Stewart just over Bowen. If the side lack depth in terms of play makers like NQ and Newcastle you would probably go for either Gildey or Bowen. It just depends on what role is required.

Mister Wright

The only reason i can see for Stewart being over rated is if you expect him to play as playmaker like Gildey, Bowen and Hunt do. When it comes to general fullback duties his only behind Hunt and Mini.

Gildey and Bowen overall are better players, but if was going to pick a guy to play fullback and Mini and Hunt aren't fit and you have three playmakers at 6,7 and 9. You would go for Stewart just over Bowen. If the side lack depth in terms of play makers like NQ and Newcastle you would probably go for either Gildey or Bowen. It just depends on what role is required.
Well put.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The role of the fullback has changed so much though. 15-20 years ago guys like Bowen, Slater, Burt and Stewart would have been laughed at because back then by far the biggest emphasis was on last line defence rather than returning kicks or play making. Guys like Gary Jack and Gary Belcher were superb defenders who could also attack very well, but probably not with the playmaking abilities of
the modern day players or their sheer speed. Back then it was a safety first role more than anything.

Haven't read the past few pages, but has anyone thrown McKinnon into the mix? His defence is pretty good and his support play is amazing. Like Chaminda said, it depends on what role is required. If an Aussie side was to be picked now, the 5/8 is likely to be Greg Bird so they may want a player like Bowen at full back who has more flair, but if there's enough creativity in the halves and at hooker they may go with a player who's more of a support player/ speed machine.

Johnners

So what you're really saying is, pick anyone but Stewart, because they are just as good as support players as he, (which is imo true) but they are also much better at all other aspects of the game.

Mister Wright

To be brutally honest, probably the best fullback in the game is Justin Hodges, it's just that he is such a good centre and Hunt is in the side aswell he doesn't get as many opportunities as he should to play at his 'preferred' position. Such a great, great player. His try on Sunday where he ran from dummy half was just something else.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
To be brutally honest, probably the best fullback in the game is Justin Hodges, it's just that he is such a good centre and Hunt is in the side aswell he doesn't get as many opportunities as he should to play at his 'preferred' position. Such a great, great player. His try on Sunday where he ran from dummy half was just something else.
On that note i'd personally say that Inglis would be the best fullback in the game if he actually played there, but with the Storm having a useful fullback and no depth in the halves, Inglis has to slot in elsewhere.

Mister Wright

On that note i'd personally say that Inglis would be the best fullback in the game if he actually played there, but with the Storm having a useful fullback and no depth in the halves, Inglis has to slot in elsewhere.
Inglis' best position is definitely fullback, but I'd still rate Hodges over him as fullback, but if they were in the same team, Inglis would be fullback and Hodges centre.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So what you're really saying is, pick anyone but Stewart, because they are just as good as support players as he, (which is imo true) but they are also much better at all other aspects of the game.
Funny how everyone else got what i was saying and you just read what you wanted from it. Basically due to depth you have in fullbacks its just about picking the best player for role you want them to play in that side.

When it came to NSW selection and the lack of line breakers in the back line you would probably go for Stewart or Mini over Gidley if Kimmorley/Orford is your halfback. If Sherwin gets the role next season then your probably better picking Gildey as Sherwin plays his best football with more playmarkers around him. But it also depends on who is at 5/8, as you will have a playmaker at hooker with Farah or Buderus. If Jarrad Mullen gets another go, then your probably better off playing a better try scoring option in Stewart.

Also Stewart likely to play as 2nd 5/8 with no Monnas or Burns at Manly next season. So it would depend on how he performs in that role. Personally i can't see him play at a level that would make a difference when it comes to State selection.

Johnners

Funny how everyone else got what i was saying and you just read what you wanted from it. Basically due to depth you have in fullbacks its just about picking the best player for role you want them to play in that side.
I got entirely what you were saying, but it doesn't exactly make a case for Stewart (who i was talking about in the first place). He isn't streaks ahead of anyone in any given role that a fullback can play afaic, meaning that it would be stupid to pick him ahead of a player such as Hunt, Gidley, Bowen, or even Hodgson for that matter, who are easily his equal, if not superior, in as you put it, "general fullback duties", and then offer so much more in other areas of the game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
When it comes to scoring tries he is far superior then most fullbacks in the game. The fact that he has been one of te leading try scorers in the game over the last couple years isn't a fluke. His ability to score a try is a long way ahead of Gidley for example. Only a couple fullbacks are better in that aspect of the game. Which is one of the main roles of fullbacks these days with the lack importance placed on defence.

Kick returns, how many fullbacks are better. Gidley in comparsion is pretty far down the list, his not bad, but compared to the rest his below par.

The only area that Gidley is ahead of is defence and not by much and his ability to play as playmaker, which not important if you have dominate playmakers or a lot of depth in the halves.

When it comes to the main roles these days of fullbacks kick returns, try scoring and positional play. There is not too many fullbacks that are better, maybe Hodges, Hunt and Bowen.

speirz

State Vice-Captain
When it comes to scoring tries he is far superior then most fullbacks in the game. The fact that he has been one of te leading try scorers in the game over the last couple years isn't a fluke. His ability to score a try is a long way ahead of Gidley for example. Only a couple fullbacks are better in that aspect of the game. Which is one of the main roles of fullbacks these days with the lack importance placed on defence.

Kick returns, how many fullbacks are better. Gidley in comparsion is pretty far down the list, his not bad, but compared to the rest his below par.

The only area that Gidley is ahead of is defence and not by much and his ability to play as playmaker, which not important if you have dominate playmakers or a lot of depth in the halves.

When it comes to the main roles these days of fullbacks kick returns, try scoring and positional play. There is not too many fullbacks that are better, maybe Hodges, Hunt and Bowen.
I wouldn't call "try scoring" an ability, that stems from the players around Stewart and his support play.

With regards to Gidley, his offloading ability is much greater than any fullback in the game as well IMO. One big minus for Gidley though is his positional play though, the Cowboys managed to kick two 40/20s against him in one game.

howardj

International Coach
Not much hype about the finals this weekend. This thread has cobwebs on it. lol

The favourites should win this week- Melbourne, Manly, Cowboys. The problem is working out the favourite in the Parramatta v Warriors game. I give the Eels a real chance. Anyway, I think it's heading inexorably towards a Manly v Melbourne GF. Should be a cracker of a match if it pans out that way.