• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** 2005 Lions tour of New Zealand

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
Lions to win all gams aside from two of the tests, and maybe the match against NZ Maori.
I reckon Lions will win everything bar the 3 Tests . This means they will beat the NZ Maori too, IMHO. :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus. Behind to a third string Argentine team @ HT. The Lions have had an absolute shocker. The Pumas have shredded them up front. :@

BoyBrumby

Englishman
superkingdave said:
been a decent game to watch though, impressed by the Argies
They've been very, very good. Our blokes look like they've taken them too lightly and are playing the price.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
25-25. Wow. Unreal. At least Jonny's left boot is in working order.

Very tough on the Argies, they were absolutely huge tonight. Probably deserved to win in all honesty. Cuisiter looked sharp when he came on, but D'Arcy had a mare at inside centre. If he wasn't coughing the pill up in the tackle he was holding on for too long & giving a pen away.

Things can only get better now.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Two of my housemates have been to Cardiff tonight to watch that. I think I'll avoid the subject tomorrow.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
How is it that Argentina pulled off a draw, but should have won the game?
Well...
No one expected Argentina to be within 5-10 points, let alone be leading with a few minutes to go. They were the better team, as acknowledged in the after-match comments, but a late penalty saw the Lions sneak an undeserved draw.

Blaze

Banned
Voltman said:
Well...
No one expected Argentina to be within 5-10 points, let alone be leading with a few minutes to go. They were the better team, as acknowledged in the after-match comments, but a late penalty saw the Lions sneak an undeserved draw.

You still sticking to your belief that the Lions will beat all the mid week teams?

Argintina had about 20 players unavaliable

Must be a case of been rusty for the Lions

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
You still sticking to your belief that the Lions will beat all the mid week teams?

Argintina had about 20 players unavaliable

Must be a case of been rusty for the Lions
I may adjust my outlook slightly.

:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It probably didn't help that the team have just been thrown together, not a real amount of time to train as a team yet.

Another way to look at it is at least they've got a bad performance out of the way before they get to NZ.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Still, that was Argentina..and even a Lions team training for just a week should have done better.

They'll definately improve by the time we get to the 1st test vs the AB's though.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't know, Argentina aren't actually as bad as they used to be (this is me trying to be positive here by the way!)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Argentina at home can be a nightmare for anyone, but away they're still finding their feet I think. If they can start playing with the same passion that they play with in Buenos Aires then look out.

Out of interest who do you think the selectors will go with for the 2 wing positions for the AB's?

At the moment the ones in contention are: Joe Rokocoko, Doug Howlett, Ma'a Nonu, Rico Gear & Sitiveni Sivivatu.

the latter 3 are all in sensational form, but I have a feeling they'll go with Roko & Howlett.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Tim said:
Argentina at home can be a nightmare for anyone, but away they're still finding their feet I think. If they can start playing with the same passion that they play with in Buenos Aires then look out.

Out of interest who do you think the selectors will go with for the 2 wing positions for the AB's?

At the moment the ones in contention are: Joe Rokocoko, Doug Howlett, Ma'a Nonu, Rico Gear & Sitiveni Sivivatu.

the latter 3 are all in sensational form, but I have a feeling they'll go with Roko & Howlett.
Yeah I agree with you there, but if its not Rokocoko and Howlett who do you think will miss out? I get the feeling that Nonu will be on the bench regardless of who fills the starting roles.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
I don't know, Argentina aren't actually as bad as they used to be (this is me trying to be positive here by the way!)

They had 20 players missing so it was basically argentina B

Blaze

Banned
Sir Redman said:
Yeah I agree with you there, but if its not Rokocoko and Howlett who do you think will miss out? I get the feeling that Nonu will be on the bench regardless of who fills the starting roles.

My backline would be - McDonald
Gear
Umaga
Carter
Rokocoko
Mehrtens
Marshall

Back reserves (Keleher, Muliaina, Nonu)

Howlett, Mauger, Sivivatu etc will all get game time later in the season. It is a very long season and IMO this is the backline they should go for because I like a second five eigth who can kick and it is a nice balance having a right footer at first five and a left footer at second five. I believe Mehrtens has to play because the games are likely to be played in wet conditions (it will be winter after all) and he can control a game superbly and can distribute and set his outsides away very nicely. Also he would do the goal kicking as I believe Dan Carter isn't up to the pressure just yet. (he has kicked at just over 70% this Super12 season and missed his first two kicks in the Semi Final last week with his third hitting the post before going over). Marshall's selection is a give in as long as he can keep his mouth shut and I have gone with McDonald over Muliaina because I believe he is in better form and is more of a solid player, though it really is a toss up between them.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say Nonu would make it onto the bench ahead of Gear & Sivivatu because he can also play Centre.

Marshall is pushing it, he's obviously still bitter about missing selection last year for the European tour. While he's a brilliant player, we've also seen this all before..think back to when John Hart was coaching and everyone got to see him mouth off after being substituted.
I think he just play out the Lions tour and then leave so his reputation is still in tact rather than taking everyone down now that he's going to England.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd also pick MacDonald over Muliiana at this stage. I don't think we'd lose too much attack by picking MacDonald because he is very good at breaking through gaps. IMO he's also a far better defender and his punting & tactical kicking is also much better.