• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI GOAT at cricket.com.au

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I'm happy enough with Bond's ~80 games as a sufficient sample size. That being said, I admit that I'm a huge Bond fan, so I'm hardly coming from a position of complete objectivity. But yeah, that strike rate.

Where does Starc rate? 2wpm, <20 average, <25 strike rate. Early days, sure, but even if this is his peak and he returns to normal statz for the rest of his career, it's one of the best peaks of all time, surely?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah... Starc can get the Bond argument even if his career is to be over in the next year or two. And I hope it isn't. His skills with the white ball are beyond belief. RCB would be running away with the IPL if he was also around.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Starc has actually been pretty good with injury over his career. It's been Pattinson and Cummins that are constantly out and people probably lump Starc in with them as "those young Australian quicks who are always injured".

vcs

Starc has had the best individual World Cup I can remember from any player since Klusener in '99. Better than Sachin in '03, Hayden in '07, Yuvraj in '11. He has a ridiculous number of 5-ers already. I'd be pretty shocked if he wasn't up there by the end of his career.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Starc could well be the ODI GOAT (at least of quicks) in the next few years if he maintains, or (gasp) improves on what he's already done (which I think is possible).

viriya

International Captain
Starc could well be the ODI GOAT (at least of quicks) in the next few years if he maintains, or (gasp) improves on what he's already done (which I think is possible).
Would need at least 5 more years, but more like 7-8 more to make a clear GOAT case.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If he maintains a Garner-esque average in this era, he'll be head-and-shoulders above anyone.

TheJediBrah

For some reason this latest addition has Inzamam pictured as a left-hand batsman. Confused me for a minute.

vcs

Sometimes you do stuff like this just because. Never underestimate a nerd's determination :D

OverratedSanity

The latest vote (1st semi-final) is for Tendulkar V Jayasuriyah. Sanath is a great ODI batsman but if he wins then the vote has to be rigged.

ODI GOAT: Sachin v Sanath | cricket.com.au
Sanath is a better candidate than Sanga to beat Tendulkar. Tendulkar is a better batsman by a mile, but with Jayasuriya's incredibly useful filthy darts and his fielding, he's an excellent all round package. The gap isn't massive, although I'd still go Tendulkar.

TheJediBrah

Jayasuriya was a good fielder? All I remember of him was hanging out at mid-on or mid-off and occasionally throwing at the stumps with his dodgy throwing-action that looked like he had osteoarthritis of the left-shoulder.

Guess he was pretty old by then

OverratedSanity

Had an awesome arm in the first half of his career.

In fact, most of SL's 90s team were excellent fielders. Jayasuriya, Mahanama, Dharmasena, Murali, all excellent.

TheJediBrah

I'll have to take your word for it. Whenever I saw him play Murali was genuinely one of the worst fielders I'd ever seen.