• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI Debut Chronology draft

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So, both Sarfraz Nawaz and Bob Willis went unpicked. Wonder if we shall regret passing on decent bowlers during later rounds

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, both Sarfraz Nawaz and Bob Willis went unpicked. Wonder if we shall regret passing on decent bowlers during later rounds
Batting and team balance is more important than bowling in ODIs IMO. I think there's enough good bowlers left that everyone will get at least two to three decent pace bowlers.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
There are more years than letters
I actually think it doesn't quite matter in the Stephen format. The restriction on letter or debut year turns out to be superfluous. It was pretty much impossible to pick 2 good players for 2 consecutive letters. Here it will be impossible to pick 2 good players within 3-4 years of debut date. So it's all the same.

Last edited:

stephen

• Honestbharani - Viv Richards (1975-06-07)
  • RedHill - Clive Lloyd (1973-09-05), Gordon Greenidge (1975-06-11)
  • Kingakallis - Dennis Lillee (1972-08-24), Javed Miandad (1975-06-11)
  • Stephen - Richard Hadlee (1973-02-11), Michael Holding (1976-08-26)
  • Pothas - Joel Garner (1977-03-16)
  • Ankitj - Imran Khan (1974-08-31), Desmond Haynes (1978-02-22)
  • Weldone - Greg Chappell (1971-01-05), Kapil Dev (1978-10-01)
  • Teuton - Zaheer Abbas (1974-08-31), Malcolm Marshall (1980-05-28)
  • Mr_mister - Wasim Akram (1984-11-23)
  • Trundler - Glenn Turner (1973-02-11), Andy Roberts (1975-06-07), Sachin Tendulkar (1989-12-18)

Last edited:

mr_mister

Let's Trundler this up a bit. Sachin Tendulkar (1989-12-18)
yeah that certainly is one way to trundler things up!

3 more people need to make their round 2 pick before you can pick your third player

Last edited:

mr_mister

oh wait so trundler's pick is eligible? i thought round 2 order was based on round 1 player's debut dates and my punishment for choosing Wasim was simply a late pick in round 2. i didn't realise it was a fluid/live pick order and i'd have to wait til all drafters are past '84 before i could pick again

sorry trundler i thought you ****ed up but alas it was me

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
oh wait so trundler's pick is eligible? i thought round 2 order was based on round 1 player's debut dates and my punishment for choosing Wasim was simply a late pick in round 2. i didn't realise it was a fluid/live pick order and i'd have to wait til all drafters are past '84 before i could pick again

It's okay. At first this draft format mind ****ed some of us to the point that we forgot our ABCs.

stephen

Oh yeah you didn't participate in the alphabet drafts did you? This draft has a variable turn order based on the last player you picked. The key to success is knowing when to skip far ahead to grab a really good player vs picking good but not necessarily the best players close to your current position.

Akram isn't a bad opening pick. You'll have to draft players a little tighter together later in the draft but getting the best left arm quick in history, who could also hold a bat is probably worth it.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

I thought I should check with if you know what you are doing when you picked Wasim.

stephen

The cool thing is that with clever drafting you can get multiple picks very close together at times.

stephen

Hb -> Red Hill -> Kingkallis

All of whom have picked from 75, so that order can't change.