• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sunliz and myself only gave Burgey the stats for the criteria he cherry picked(ODI finals). Of course that did not help his anti Tendulkar agenda and in fact unfavorably highlighted his favorite player.
Then he went about cherry picking World Cup finals stats. Cherry picking was one way all the way through.
This is patently absurd. Anyone who has read any of my posts concerning ODI cricket knows the only thing which counts is the WC. I've been saying this for years, and I've been saying it because it's plainly true. No one gives a **** about anything else in ODIs. If you go on responding by including finals of meaningless other series, that's your problem, not mine.

I get the impression the result of the SingTel Trophy played in Azerbaijan is important to you, but for real cricket lovers, it's all about the WC. Nothing else matters, and Chokedulkar delivered nothing in WC finals, in the biggest games of all (same with his test career, come to that, but that's another story for another thread). It's just a simple fact. Why you and the other muppet have devoted so much time trying to prove otherwise is beyond me.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
One of those three had a match- winning performance in a world cup. The other two have never played in a world cup final.

One of those three turned a world minnow into a world champion side. The other two did not.

One of those three was universally regarded as the best batsman in the world against the mighty West Indies. The other two were not.

One of those three has an international test trophy, the most prestigious award in cricket and two grounds in two different states named after him. The other two do not.
I thought we are talking about ODIs here.

As per the criteria laid out in post # 882,

AB Devillier's average in ODI finals - infinity (too awesome to end up with an average)
Adam Bacher's average in ODI finals - 45
Allan Border's average in ODI finals - 36

So one is a moderate upgrade over the worst, the best is a huge upgrade over the second best.

Again, this is not a criteria which I created. The guy who posted #882 can answer.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie posters on here still act as if they're arguing with Indian cricket fans on YouTube/FaceBook/Cricinfo comment sections.

Give it up, guys, no one's insecure about Sachin anymore. He is, and always will be special to us, but we've found another guy good enough to assume the mantle straight after he retired.
This so much. It's strange how they can't see how much more insecure Aussie posters are here about their heroes like Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist etc. (excluding McGrath because he was so awesome that no cherry picking needs to be done to make a case for him) than Indian posters here are about Tendulkar. Like they are not reading forum at all?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If we were really like the Youtube/FB/ciricinfo like posters, we would be having Indo-Pak wars in each thread. lol.

morgieb

Aussie posters on here still act as if they're arguing with Indian cricket fans on YouTube/FaceBook/Cricinfo comment sections.

Give it up, guys, no one's insecure about Sachin anymore. He is, and always will be special to us, but we've found another guy good enough to assume the mantle straight after he retired.
TBF there's a few newbies that fit that mould.

Burgey

Weird observation this. This whole thread has been about Aussie posters cherry picking stats/games to show Aussie players to be better than non-Aussie rival players. It's them who have been triggered all along.
Let's take this down to brass tacks, then I have to leave you to it for a while again as I should do some work. There have been 11 ODI WCs. We all agree that they are the only thing which matter in ODIs because its' the only tourney where every country puts up all of its best available players at any given time, and where all the big dogs come out to play. Rest of the time they chop and change players, experiment with line ups and only certain other sides are playing against each other.

Now, of those 11 World Cups, Australia has won five of them. Five out of eleven. Rest of the world has six between them. It follows that Australia produces the best ODI players, over and above all other countries, because they've clearly been superior to all other nations in the only tournament which counts. Heaven forbid you find people saying that because a country produces players who consistently perform when it matters most that those players are better than the spuds who do nothing when it matters most, but who pad their stats in between times.

It's as plain as the nose on your face. It's like when you see a tennis player who's ranked one but who can't get the job done at Grand Slams. Sure you look at the ranking and acknowledge it, but let's be fair dinkum - unless you get it done in Slams you aren't the real deal. So it goes with ODI WCs. They are the gold standard for that format of the game. Australia has dominated the most important tourney, ergo its players have performed when it matters most. Ergo they are the best players.

Burgey

I thought we are talking about ODIs here.

As per the criteria laid out in post # 882,

AB Devillier's average in ODI finals - infinity (too awesome to end up with an average)
Adam Bacher's average in ODI finals - 45
Allan Border's average in ODI finals - 36

So one is a moderate upgrade over the worst, the best is a huge upgrade over the second best.

Again, this is not a criteria which I created. The guy who posted #882 can answer.
I am trying to work out who among us is picking Border in their ATG ODI side though? Because I can't see anyone doing that. You're throwing some good punches here mate, but sadly they're air swings.

h_hurricane

This is patently absurd. Anyone who has read any of my posts concerning ODI cricket knows the only thing which counts is the WC. I've been saying this for years, and I've been saying it because it's plainly true. No one gives a **** about anything else in ODIs. If you go on responding by including finals of meaningless other series, that's your problem, not mine.

I get the impression the result of the SingTel Trophy played in Azerbaijan is important to you, but for real cricket lovers, it's all about the WC. Nothing else matters, and Chokedulkar delivered nothing in WC finals, in the biggest games of all (same with his test career, come to that, but that's another story for another thread). It's just a simple fact. Why you and the other muppet have devoted so much time trying to prove otherwise is beyond me.
Please read your own post #882. I did not say what is important or what is not important. You were the one who came with the criteria.

Burgey

Hahahahahaha fmd that's what you've got sand in your crack about?

Of course I'm talking about WC finals you imbo. No other finals matter. Anyone who knows anything about my views on ODIs knows this. Now go back and try again.

TheJediBrah

This so much. It's strange how they can't see how much more insecure Aussie posters are here about their heroes like Warne, Ponting, Gilchrist etc. (excluding McGrath because he was so awesome that no cherry picking needs to be done to make a case for him) than Indian posters here are about Tendulkar. Like they are not reading forum at all?
Definitely a fair observation. With a few big exceptions aside (eg. sunilz) most Indian posters on here are very sensible and level-headed, and nothing like Indian facebook/cricinfo commenters.

Didn't happen.
Oh it definitely did. It's the usual suspects though, not the majority.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

Hahahahahaha fmd that's what you've got sand in your crack about?

Of course I'm talking about WC finals you imbo. No other finals matter. Anyone who knows anything about my views on ODIs knows this. Now go back and try again.
I don't need to try anything. Are you saying you were not the one who posted that ?

Burgey

No, custard nuts. What I'm saying is when I'm referring to "Tendulkar in a final" I'm obviously referring to a WC final. I couldn't tell you how many meaningless ODI tournaments he played and excelled in when there was no pressure on, because they mean nothing to me.

h_hurricane

Let's take this down to brass tacks, then I have to leave you to it for a while again as I should do some work. There have been 11 ODI WCs. We all agree that they are the only thing which matter in ODIs because its' the only tourney where every country puts up all of its best available players at any given time, and where all the big dogs come out to play. Rest of the time they chop and change players, experiment with line ups and only certain other sides are playing against each other.

Now, of those 11 World Cups, Australia has won five of them. Five out of eleven. Rest of the world has six between them. It follows that Australia produces the best ODI players, over and above all other countries, because they've clearly been superior to all other nations in the only tournament which counts. Heaven forbid you find people saying that because a country produces players who consistently perform when it matters most that those players are better than the spuds who do nothing when it matters most, but who pad their stats in between times.

It's as plain as the nose on your face. It's like when you see a tennis player who's ranked one but who can't get the job done at Grand Slams. Sure you look at the ranking and acknowledge it, but let's be fair dinkum - unless you get it done in Slams you aren't the real deal. So it goes with ODI WCs. They are the gold standard for that format of the game. Australia has dominated the most important tourney, ergo its players have performed when it matters most. Ergo they are the best players.
You don't need to try so hard to prove Aus is the best cricket nation ever. Every one knows it.

Burgey

They need to win a WC for that to even be considered the case, lest they end up like the really good SA sides of the past and throw up on themselves.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend