• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODI ATG XIs

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
He doesn't quite though. Bevan was a lot better at it. Averaged more in a lower scoring era against better bowlers.
Bevan's average has never impressed me as much as it has others, when you factor in his not outs. As I've said before, I just prefer Hussey in that role.

smash84

The Tiger King
Anwar
Afridi
Abbas
Miandad
Inzamam
Yousuf
Imran (c)
Moin (wk)
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain

Not too shabby a side

Victor Ian

International Coach
Always hard to pick between Bevan and Hussey but from memory Bevan frustrated me a bit when batting first. Without a target he just seemed to bat a bit slower than I'd have liked. On the other hand when chasing he just made you feel everything was in control. In today's conditions I'm sure Bevan would have been able to rain 6s and 4s when required with the best of them. Today, I choose Bevan.

Victor Ian

International Coach
In an all time team Jones is gold. If he was in with Gilchrist, Ponting or Symonds having a day there'd be no better batsman to turn the strike over at a run a ball to keep them blazing away.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anwar
Afridi
Abbas
Miandad
Inzamam
Yousuf
Imran (c)
Moin (wk)
Wasim
Waqar
Saqlain

Not too shabby a side
Much as he’s widely despised on here, what was Kamran Akmal’s record on ODIs like? I rate Moin very highly, mind you, but I wonder if Akmal might offer more with the bat. Then again you have to put up with his keeping, so there is that.

Also, would Razzaq be worth a shout in place of MoYo? Extra bowler, bigger hitter in that spot in the order. Or maybe run with another opener and move afridi into the middle order?

Last edited:

Burgey

In an all time team Jones is gold. If he was in with Gilchrist, Ponting or Symonds having a day there'd be no better batsman to turn the strike over at a run a ball to keep them blazing away.
Plus, he’s really really good at riding on other people’s coat tails and making a career of some note from it.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Pakistan XI

1 Saeed Anwar
2 Majid Khan
3 Zaheer Abbas
4 Javed Miandad
5 Inzamam Ul Haq
6 Imran Khan c
7 Moin Khan+
8 Wasim Akram
9 Saqlain Mushtaq
10 Waqar Younis
11 Shoaib Ahktar

I feel like Shoaib has to be added which means youve got 5 absolute quality bowlers. I included Majid Khan who is also a 6th bowling option ahead of Sohail, Butt, Hafeez and possibly Iman Ul Haq (who I rate highly, but is new).

TheJediBrah

Pakistan XI

1 Saeed Anwar
2 Majid Khan
3 Zaheer Abbas
4 Javed Miandad
5 Inzamam Ul Haq
6 Imran Khan c
7 Moin Khan+
8 Wasim Akram
9 Saqlain Mushtaq
10 Waqar Younis
11 Shoaib Ahktar

I feel like Shoaib has to be added which means youve got 5 absolute quality bowlers. I included Majid Khan who is also a 6th bowling option ahead of Sohail, Butt, Hafeez and possibly Iman Ul Haq (who I rate highly, but is new).
Fair bit weaker in batting than most others but bowling makes up for it

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The best!

Sanath Jayasuriya
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
Aravinda De Silva
Mahela Jayawardena (VC)
Arjuna Ranatunge (C)
Angelo Mathews
Nuwan Kulasekara
Chaminda Vaas
Lasith Malinga
Muttiah Muralitharan
Good team and very hard to argue with any of the selections. I would say 10 of the 11 seem certainties.

Nuwan Kulasekara is the most under pressure and in half the world, you'd probably go for a spinner instead. Either one of those mid 90s spinners such as Chandana (or maybe Dharmasena) or potentially Ajantha Mendis who's 150 wickets at under 22 is tough to ignore. Thisara Perera from the current team is in the mix too as the team could really use his late order hitting.

EDIT: Maybe I would drop Mahela and bring in the big hitter in Thisara Perera and go for an extra spinner too. Again Mendis record is great, but I want to pick Chandana.

1 Dilshan
2 Jayasuriya
3 Sangakkara
4 de Silva
5 Ranatunga
6 Mathews
7 Thisara
8 Chandana
9 Vaas
10 Malinga
11 Muralitharan

There is 9/10 bowling options in that team and there is a good mix of fast scoring bats and accumulators.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Chandana is without doubt the best fieldsman in the XI which is pretty important.

With 9-11 bowling 30 overs it means there are only 20 overs to bowl between Chandana, Thisara, Jayasuriya, Dilshan and Aravinda. Chandana is more of a pick for sub-cont - if the match was played in Australia he'd be less appealing.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikanda Raza
Tatenda Taibu +
Heath Streak *
Andy Blignaut
Graeme Cremer
Eddo Brandes

Nearly the whole team can bowl. Nearly the whole team can bat. Decent ODI side in that sense.

When I started it I assumed it'd be full of 90s players but cult heroes like Murray Goodwin and Dave Houghton are inferior in both average and strike rate to Williams and Raza so can't really justify their selection

TheJediBrah

Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikanda Raza
Tatenda Taibu +
Heath Streak *
Andy Blignaut
Graeme Cremer
Eddo Brandes

Nearly the whole team can bowl. Nearly the whole team can bat. Decent ODI side in that sense.

When I started it I assumed it'd be full of 90s players but cult heroes like Murray Goodwin and Dave Houghton are inferior in both average and strike rate to Williams and Raza so can't really justify their selection
I think a lot of those 90s players were much better. Houghton and Goodwin certainly were. Comparing their stats isn't fair because Zimbabwe played much better teams in the 90s than they have in the last decade. These days i reckon at least half of their games have been against other minnows.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Neil Johnson
Grant Flower
Andy Flower
Brendan Taylor
Sean Williams
Sikanda Raza
Tatenda Taibu +
Heath Streak *
Andy Blignaut
Graeme Cremer
Eddo Brandes

Yeah not bad.

I'll go with:

ZIM
1 G Flower
2 A Campbell
3 D Houghton
4 A Flower
5 B Taylor
6 N Johnson
7 T Taibu
8 H Streak
9 P Strang
10 E Brandes
11 H Olonga

I like Cremer but I am certain that Strang was better and Olonga was a better bowling option over Blignaut too. In fact Chatara would be my next quick.