• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ rise to 2nd in Test rankings for first time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TV rights. We’re the ugliest duckling of Subcontinent friendly timezones.
All the more reason we should be trying to schedule more day/night Tests at home. Surely that makes it more attractive in dealing with the time zone.

Borges

International Regular
Makes even more of a mockery the fact SL & the Windies get to play lots more Test cricket than us. Certainly in recent times.
Dispense with the limited overs stuff and play more test matches when India tour NZ early next year; #1 vs #2 deserves to be a five test series.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Dispense with the limited overs stuff and play more test matches when India tour NZ early next year; #1 vs #2 deserves to be a five test series.
When you hit submit on this post, a tear inexplicably rolled down David White’s face.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
TV rights. We’re the ugliest duckling of Subcontinent friendly timezones.
The NZ timezone is bad, but that doesn't explain why we've had so few tours of other countries. No test tours of WI or SA scheduled until at least 2023, next year's tour of SL is the first since 2012. And the one country that actually has a decent timezone for cricket in NZ - Australia - aren't playing tests here until 2023 either. The time zone doesn't help, but that's only a small part of the equation.

Victor Ian

International Coach
When big brothers go off the boil it's so good when little brothers step up and start decking people. It seems New Zealand genuinely perform when Australia loses the plot.

Victor Ian

International Coach
In hindsight, it's even more woeful Australia lost to India. New Zealand might be sitting top of the tree now.

Borges

International Regular
Won't New Zealand rise to the top if they beat both Bangladesh and India handsomely?

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The NZ timezone is bad, but that doesn't explain why we've had so few tours of other countries. No test tours of WI or SA scheduled until at least 2023, next year's tour of SL is the first since 2012. And the one country that actually has a decent timezone for cricket in NZ - Australia - aren't playing tests here until 2023 either. The time zone doesn't help, but that's only a small part of the equation.
It really ****s me that Australia won't play many tests over the next few years. I'd love to see a home and away series against New Zealand. It'd provably be the most competitive series since the Hadlee days.

vcs

NZ never seem to play well against Australia and SA for some reason. Matchup issues I guess. Those two do everything that NZ do, a little better. Also, they can't invite those two on early season NZ wickets when the ball moves around. It's always SL/Pakistan/WI taking up that slot.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
NZ never seem to play well against Australia and SA for some reason. Matchup issues I guess. Those two do everything that NZ do, a little better. Also, they can't invite those two on early season NZ wickets when the ball moves around. It's always SL/Pakistan/WI taking up that slot.
Tbf, the 2017 NZ v SA series was at least evenly matched - SA won 1-0, but that was only after they were facing a heavy defeat in the 3rd test before rain intervened (NZ also probably had the better of the 1st test before the 5th day was washed out). I do agree that we'd have a better shot of beating Australia if we played them in November/December but that will never happen. The NZ v England series scheduled for November this year should be really interesting.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
We always miss teams when they hit a low. By the time we tour SA again Amla will probably be gone, de Kock, Faf and Markram will probably hit god mode with the bat and the new seamers will have a bit more experience and destroy us.

Similarly, Aus will have Smith and Warner when they return. And lets face it, all they need is those two plus Starc, Hazlwood and Cummins to fire (and they often do), and we're toast.

Basically now's the best time to play em. Edit: to make it clear, I want us to beat a full strength Aus and SA in their respective homes. England and India too. tbf I don't think we'eve ever beat Sri Lanka at home either?

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
We always miss teams when they hit a low. By the time we tour SA again Amla will probably be gone, de Kock, Faf and Markram will probably hit god mode with the bat and the new seamers will have a bit more experience and destroy us.

Similarly, Aus will have Smith and Warner when they return. And lets face it, all they need is those two plus Starc, Hazlwood and Cummins to fire (and they often do), and we're toast.

Basically now's the best time to play em. Edit: to make it clear, I want us to beat a full strength Aus and SA in their respective homes. England and India too. tbf I don't think we'eve ever beat Sri Lanka at home either?
imo, in the end it's just extremely hard to beat a full strength team at home, the advantage is too big, you have to catch them when they have some soft spots and cash on them.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Is there a way to find out how NZs 107 points are made up? Series by series?
YES! There needs to be a tangible explanation to describe how points are accumulated.

New Zealand are a quality test side, but they play so much less than both England and India that'd I'd find it hard where to place them. Also, we the cricketing public, are being somewhat deprived of watching KW, in his best format, coming up to (hopefully) his peak years

Last edited:

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
NZ just seem psyched out whenever they play Oz, even in recent years when Oz aren't the side they were. Thought NZ we were especially disappointing on their last tour here.

And if anything their performances in home Oz series are even worse. Last time they got moderately close to winning way 1st Test of 99/00 series.

vcs

They also had a chance to get a result in India in 2012, that series was preceded by the 8-0 and we lost the following series to England at home. Bangalore Test was close but they couldn't do it.